Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple LAN ports

Virtual beer for the advice!

Got a powerful media server with 4 LAN ports - wanting to move HS and MailLobby to this machine to consolidate 3 machines into 1. Right now, 3 separate machines each doing the 1 specific task.

Since this is a media server, I have a lot of intranet traffic serving data to other media PC's in my house - so, I was thinking of having one LAN port configured to only allow file services and use that to serve media.

Then, have another LAN configured to serve HS - the other to serve MainLobby - but, not bind HS to a LAN because a lot of data goes from MainLobby <-> Homeseer so I would like to use localhost communication for those instances so no LAN port is used (since they are on the same machine).

So, the thinking is:

LAN 1 - Static IP, set to run server monitoring (SuperMicro) software on port 80, no file services enabled - also runs RAID card monitoring software
    LAN 2 - Static IP, HS external web use (port 80 + speaker) , file services disabled
    LAN 3 - Static IP, MainLobby external web use port 80, file services disabled
    LAN 4 - Static IP, Only file services enabled - serves media to other PC's using \\MEDIA\MOVIES\... method on playing media files

Note when I mean static I mean intranet (192.168.1.X)... I am not using this server to do DHCP or be a router...

Any I missing something here or am I about to beat my head on a brick wall trying to get this to work? Any advise on specific settings? Running XP64 on the server box. Any suggestions to make this easier? I am also thinking of moving this to Win 7 - I have a license I just haven't had the free weekend yet.

Thanks!

Virtual Corona, on ice with a lime cut into 4 pieces; squeezed and put into glass.

Having four distinct NICs can be done; going from the network to the NIC is the easy part. Binding the applications to specific NICs can be a bit of a pain.

Here's a link that will help you.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-1054825.html
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete!

Cheers! Link is perfect for my needs.

Comment

what is your reasoning behind this? if you are looking for more throughput, and you have an intelligent switch you might look into etherchannel or sometimes called port channel or nic teaming (allows traffic to traverse multiple nics) if you want to segment the traffic, Vlans are an option but, your switch has to support 802.1q and keep in mind with vlans that each end point (pc) can only live on 1 vlan so if you have a pc on the vlan you setup for media streaming it will only see the traffic on that vlan. Download something like wireshark and see what your traffic stats are, you may be well below ethernet saturation
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I agree it is overkill - I have 4 LAN ports on my server and thought why not use them? The machine was only for serving media (ripped DVD's, music) - but in an effort to retire some power hungry servers that only do HS and MainLobby, I figured why not utilize those ports while putting those apps on my server.

I tried bridging the adapters thinking that would be best but when I used Windows bridging I had all sorts of problems serving media. I admit I didn't spend a ton of time troubleshooting - I just tried a simple bridge and quickly gave up when I got unexpected results.

Comment

Historically I would utilize multiple NICs to create either unique networks, managment networks or DMZs (in addition to what Jack mentioned relating to aggregation and VLANs) . It won't buy you much though versus what you need to configure it. These were mostly to access the same data on said servers.

Today I have one 1U server (3 NICs, dual power supply, hot swap NAS, embedded OS) that I use for my VOIP box. Main NIC serves NAS and a secondary NIC is utilized for VOIP.

Bridging the networks wouldn't help you much. For one to one unique network connections you would write and batch routing tables (which can be a PITA). IE put the box in a DMZ and then have multiple network access to the DMZ each with its own unique routing table. IE if I get traffic from this NIC then return traffic via same NIC and same gateway type routing tables. You can also create a wireless network which would be autonomous from your wired network creating more security and some unique rules between wireless devices and wired devices.

You can though create some VMs utilizing each NIC for whatever server you want to implement.

1 - Mainlobby
            2 - NAS
            3 - Media Server

Depending on performance give HS a try. Try to implement them in terms of utilization. Least overall CPU utilization.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If they are Intel nics, they probably support "teaming" which is/was what Intel supported as etherchannel. Pete, you mention VM's, yes if you put ESXi on the box you can effectively create multiple vlans, keeping in mind VMWare ESXi has by default a virtual switch that supports vlans, so in your case of a DMZ is a vlan because a true DMZ is on unique address space. Personally I don't see any advantage to HS<->mlserver on its own vlan, there really isn't that much traffic between them. I currently pass 500+ variables between them, with many of those variables containing string data (music metadata, etc) also I have 20 IP<-> serial and 4 USB<->IP (all my HS devices communicate via IP) not to mention a full blown server 2k3 domain with exchange, OCS, SCOM, Asterisk, web services and OpenNMS and 7 workstations with minimal impact on my overall bandwidth. I am not vlan'ing, everything is on a single switched gig backbone.
              Basically I have 2 VM ESXi Hosts, each running 5 guests (x86, x64 server 2k3, Centos and Solaris) standalone Domain controller (running all services) standalone HS, Standalone video, standalone music and 7 workstations
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Yes Jack three distinct networks (medium size - /25 and two smaller subnets /28 & /29 for VOIP and WLAN) Distinct switches, no VLANs, GB on the /25.

Only one test VM server for now but a mix of 2003 and various flavors of Linux, one BSD and numerous "other" networked devices.

Last place I worked most of the network folks had no clue on configuring a switch let alone utilizing VLANs. More entertaining than television.

I personally did run ML Server with HS a few years back. Didn't ding the box.

Not sure if you are advocating utilizing VM or combining all on one box (1 OS)?
                Last edited by Pete; July 25, 2010, 04:06 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Yea I have a couple folks I work with that just don't understand trunking on a switch, fortunately the network side of things is one of my resposibilities, one guy can't wrap his head around the difference between a domain and a vlan.... gotta love the college graduates (sorry I don't mean to offend anyone)

so you have a 128 node, 16 node and 8 node networks? how do you span between them? or do you...

I am not advocating VM vs Standalone, more a single /24 (class C) is all I have on private address space... Problems I have encountered/gains I have encountered. MLServer runs great on server 2k3, also runs great in a VM. HS does too except 2k3 doesn't support sound cards, I use a USB sound card for TTS and it works fine, issues I have encountered running hs on a vm is 1) sound and 2) the way 2call have issues running on a vm, more about that later....

my video server runs on XP because, again the sound card issue. Same with my music server. I run 2 distinct boxes for several reasons, biggest is because I am using an ATI 2400HD, the 15 pin feeds the monitor on the wall and the DVI feeds my projector. the music server has 1tb raid 5 (3x500gb) and an M-Audio 1010lt (4 pairs of analog stereo and 1 digital feed) using Jriver and the MLMediacenter plugin. The video Server runs TheaterTek as my player with an M-audio 1010lt with 6tb raid 5.

I have tried running HS on a VM, everything works except TTS and the way2call, mainly bcause I use all serial to IP devices. TTS should not be an issue as I can run a remote speaker client. The way2call is another story, what I am currently working on is I have asterisk up and running and have xlite softphones on several systems, and I plan on using exchange unified messaging as the voicemail. I picked up an old Cisco 3810 multiservice router that has FXO and FXS ports. by feeding my analog POTS line into the FXO port, converting to SIP and feeding into the Asterisk box I should be able to create auto attendants that will route to the different softphones depending on the extension entered or voicemail, so that will solve the phone issue. it will mean removing the way2call and HSphone but asterisk can handle all the call processing except for sending the CID to HS

I run all my production stuff on VMWare except my domain controller, main reason if I have to take a host down and the DC is a guest can make it a bit messy... My vm hosts are dell poweredge 860's 2.4 quad cores with 8 gigs of ram and 500gb raid 5 each

Pick yourself up a good used Cisco switch that supports vlan tagging and you could consoldate your voip using QOS
                  Last edited by jackpod; July 25, 2010, 07:05 PM. Reason: addition
                  Over The Hill
                  What Hill?
                  Where?
                  When?

Comment

Jack,

Learned over the years to be patient.

One WLAN (3 APs though) network goes to a separate interface on the firewall.

The smallest network is also separated by another firewall - access via NAT. I am using VOIP QOS with the Smoothwall firewall.

When I first planned on upgrading to gig I was going to just put in a Cisco switch (as that was all I was familiar with) but wanted to see first what kind of performance improvements I would see with my 7 year old installed Cat5E so purchased a small 8 port Dell unmanaged GB switch (very cheap) and moved 8 servers to it. Now with my setup and I am in search of a very small footprint 24 port Gb switch.

I am not advocating VM vs Standalone, more a single /24 (class C) is all I have on private address space... Problems I have encountered/gains I have encountered. MLServer runs great on server 2k3, also runs great in a VM. HS does too except 2k3 doesn't support sound cards, I use a USB sound card for TTS and it works fine, issues I have encountered running hs on a vm is 1) sound and 2) the way 2call have issues running on a vm, more about that later....
                    Yes its easiest to manage one subnet (personally just playing with my two smaller subnets) for the SOHO environment.

My first test (for VM) was similiar with same problems with sound and W2C. But the other 18 or so HW devices worked well. (Digi USB Anywhere to 2 Digi USB to 8 port boxes). I also have been playing with a program called virtual cable for audio on the 2003 servers.

For video lately just buying NMTs (put a 1.5TB) in last one (PCH). They stream fine from NAS stored videos.

but asterisk can handle all the call processing except for sending the CID to HS
                    Can you put YAC on the asterisk box?
                    Last edited by Pete; July 25, 2010, 08:56 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Can you put YAC on the asterisk box?
                      Good question, never played with it. The asterisk box is running on Linux... but the auto attendants I have built have the following tree...

"Hello, you have reached XXX-XXXX If you know your parties 4 digit extension, please enter it now, otherwise please leave a message"

Each of the softphones have their own extension. Since the extensions are not published, I have control of who I give them to, and I can always change them. My current challenge is to get this OLD 3810 to talk to my POTS line and then turn around and get it to talk SIP V2 to my 2651 and the asterisk box. The latest IOS I can get on it 12.1, better than 10 years old. The * box is on a vm so I can't go the normal route of putting a digium card in it. My other option is to just fork out the bucks for an FXO port for the 2651, I already have FXS ports on it. I need to use SIP V2 since I want to use Exchange Unified Messaging for Voicemail and feature sets. Its a back burner (weekends between other stuff) project
                      Over The Hill
                      What Hill?
                      Where?
                      When?

Comment

So you are doing this for your house office? For a challenge?

Have some Cisco routers/switches in my other HA pile of stuff.....might just happen to have an FXO card for you...from playing with VOIP (a class I took) a few years back...if you want to test with it.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I know I need to get a life it is how I keep current. my main router is a cisco 2651 with a voice module... the required FXO is a standard FXO wic...
                          Over The Hill
                          What Hill?
                          Where?
                          When?

Comment

I guess I kept up doing network architecture. Mostly worked with CCIE's on various endeavors. It was enjoyable. Cisco would give me new "stuff" to benchmark / test (playtime). Initially only Cisco routers internationally. Because of the "roots" of our network I had four public IP's at my desktop.

Our core was (many years ago) something like 20 6500's with a distribution layer of 4000's all over the campus (much VTP).

Will look for the routers with the cards.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, shoot me an email
                              Over The Hill
                              What Hill?
                              Where?
                              When?

Comment

Working...
                              X