Duewi and Merten battery operated transmitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duewi and Merten battery operated transmitters

I have constant trouble with the battery devices from both Merten and Duewi (Duewi is a German brand less expensive than Mertens but with a good quality level and diversity of units). I am trying to achieve a very simple set up as follows:

I have a dimmer (Fex Duewi 05433) that is mounted close the door (retrofit into original lightswitch box) and does the direct dimming-on/off of the lights in the room. From another location in the room I want to be able to control the lights (dim - on/off). For this I want to use a Wireless Wall Transmitter (Duewi 05443 battery powered) set up to control the dimmer through a simple direct association. Further the room must be included in the main ZWave network of the house that is controlled by HSPro through a AEON stick interface.

THIS I AM NOT ABLE TO SET UP.

I have tried the following:

1. First Include the Dimmer into the main network in the normal way by using the AEON stick and then import into HSPRO.. This works ok. Then i try to directly set up an association between the battery device and the dimmer.. After the dimmer has been included in the network by the primary controller this is not possible to do ( I can not find a clear description on how to do this in the Duewi documentation).
    2. Tried to include the battery device as a secondary controller in HSPRO. Both with the Aeon stick in the actual room or through the Add Node function in HSPRO. None works (the diodes on the battery device shows that the inclusion was achieved but HSPRO are not able to communicate with it properly and then reports the inclusion to fail) and i think this is due to what is described in this thread
    3. I also have a Home Pro Remote ZTH-200. I have tried using this for forcing a association between the dimmer and the battery device but it does not work

I have earlier done something of the same with Merten devices (according to the write up from http://www.smarthus.info/support/dow...Merten_bpd.pdf). The problem with that set up is that the dim function of the radio button stops working (as described in the writeup). This is not acceptable as an important functionality of the button disappears.

The documentation form Merten is very limited and off little help. The documentation from Duewi seems extensive but is very confusing and difficult to understand.

IF I JUST LET THE DIMMER AND THE BATTERY DEVICE WORK TOGETHER AND NOT INCLUDE THE DIMMER IN HSPRO IT WORKS JUST FINE.

Anyone have any idea on how to solve this?

xxxxxxxxx
    Network Adapter: HomeSeer Adapter -> Loopback
    Address (localhost) IP: 127.0.0.1
    Web Server Port: xx
    Number of Devices: 48 Unique,
    Used X-10 Devices: 3 A:1, 2, 3
    Number of Z-Wave Nodes: 27
    Number of Events: 60
    Event Last Ran: Default : Kjellervifte AV, Ran at 10.08.2010 00:00:00 Number of unique event scripts used: 0
    Connected Speaker Clients: OB-MEDIAROM (127.0.0.1)EFAULT
    Plug-Ins Enabled: USB-UIRT Interface, HSTouch Server, HSTouch iPhone, Script Connector
    Processor Type and Speed: x64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 at 2,48 GHz Modules/Threads: 159 Modules, 64 Threads System
    Processes/Load: 95 Processes, 1% Load Free / Total Physical Memory: 1,33 GBytes / 2,99 GBytes (45% free)
    Free / Total Virtual Memory: 3,75 GBytes / 5,98 GBytes (63% free) HomeSeer
    Memory Used: 81 Mbytes
    COM Plug-In Memory Used: 6 Mbytes for HS_Compatibility

In the following I have copied the system response when trying to include a Merten Radio Button (properly reset to factory condition up front):

Please wait...
    Activate the "Add to Network" function on the node while it is close to your HomeSeer interface...
    DONE - Add Node Operation is Complete.
    Done. Node 57 Added. Querying the node for its capabilities and creating device(s) in HomeSeer...

Reloading (importing) node information from the controller...

Synchronizing node information with HomeSeer and creating new device(s) as necessary...
    The Z-Wave network has 26 nodes.
    Found node 29. Retrieving class and manufacturer information from the node.
    Failed to get basic node information from new node 29, cannot continue to load this node.
    Found node 51. Retrieving class and manufacturer information from the node.
    Failed to get basic node information from new node 51, cannot continue to load this node.
    Found node 55. Retrieving class and manufacturer information from the node.
    Failed to get basic node information from new node 55, cannot continue to load this node.
    Found node 57. Retrieving class and manufacturer information from the node.
    Failed to get basic node information from new node 57, cannot continue to load this node.

Finished with Replication process.

Fra logen:
    10.08.2010 00:05:21 Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave node list... 10.08.2010 00:05:21 Z-Wave Found 26 Z-Wave nodes 10.08.2010 00:05:21 Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list... 10.08.2010 00:05:39 Warning Unable to send a NULL command to Z-Wave device 29 10.08.2010 00:05:39 Z-Wave Warning The new node (29) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again. 10.08.2010 00:05:39 Z-Wave Warning The new node (51) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again. 10.08.2010 00:05:40 Warning Unable to send a NULL command to Z-Wave device 55 10.08.2010 00:05:40 Z-Wave Warning The new node (55) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again. 10.08.2010 00:05:40 Warning Unable to send a NULL command to Z-Wave device 57 10.08.2010 00:05:40 Z-Wave Warning The new node (57) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again.

Please also observe the nodes 55,56 which remains in the system after earlier attempts to include such devices.

In the Status overview in HS NO NODE 57 IS SHOWN SO IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RESCAN IN ORDER TO GET MORE INFORMATION INTO HS AS WAS POSSIBLE EARLIER (ALSO REF THE WRITE UP ON THE MERTEN DEVICES FROM SMARTHUS.INFO).

Radio buttons from Duewi behaves in the same manner and leads to the same error messages.

The use of these devices is widely spread and it is a serious shortcoming if the HS is not able to include them and consequently utilize them

Comment

I am trying to work with somebody familiar with both the Duwi and Merten products to come up with a workaround - something HomeSeer always seems to have to do to get something working with it - but the issue is clearly on the manufacturer's part as they had absolutely no consideration for working with an intelligent controller, as I have been stating - here is part of a message I received:

Hi Rick,

If your controller supports binary switch I expect that would be sufficient for I to allow associations to be set up to the controller. Note however that it is not allowed just to state that you support binary switch without being able to switch something, however that something can be almost anything. I can also add that Merten devices woos (works) the same way. I think I might be able to find some more info about it... I am a little in doubt if the Merten devices actually look at the device type.

Note that the behavior of Merten and Duwi would not be allowed according to today's certification - if you support association you must set. Up an association when told to.

Hope this helps.
      The issue is that when the Duwi switch is told to set up an association, it gets the node information frame from the destination node (HomeSeer) and if it does not say it supports switch binary or switch multilevel, then it does not set up the association. HomeSeer is not a switch so it does not report that, but I am looking into ways to make it report that anyway - if we CAN do it, we will.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Hi Rick

I do appreciate the effort. Since last I have managed to get the Merten radio button to work. I am not 100% shure why but it seems that efforts to get it included into HS that was non sucessfull left som data in HS Tthis could be seen at the bottom of the Node Info screen (accessed through Setup->Interfaces and on the far left the Node Info button) as some Nodes that had not fully been imported and that could bee removed. When I removed ALL these nodes and pressed ADD NODE , wiated as instructed and pressed the radio button thre times it was coreectly integrated. Then I followed the smarthus.info instruction from Sergej and managed to set up assosiation beteen the dimmer and the radio button.

For Duewi I have had no sucess so far.

Comment

Rick,
          I have managed to add the Duwi battery powered wall switch in HS. They will only show the barry status.
          Association with Homeseer will not work.

Merten is not working
          I can't add the to my network
          I'm using the Aeon Stick

Loading network information from your Z-Wave interface... Done.
          Synchronizing network information against HomeSeer devices...
          The Z-Wave network has 32 nodes.
          Found node 44. Retrieving class and manufacturer information from the node.
          Failed to get basic node information from new node 44, cannot continue to load this node.

Comment

After upgrade to beta .60
            Did rescan and pressend buttons for about 5 minutes
            no succes.

Device rescan is not posable since the device is not available in HS.

13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Warning The new node (44) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again.
            13-8-2010 16:40:46 Warning Unable to send a NULL command to Z-Wave device 44
            13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
            13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Found 32 Z-Wave nodes
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chak View Post
              After upgrade to beta .60
              Did rescan and pressend buttons for about 5 minutes
              no succes.

Device rescan is not posable since the device is not available in HS.

13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Warning The new node (44) is not a listening device, or it is currently not responding. If this is a listening type device and it is not a generic controller, please make sure it is awake before trying Import/Rescan again.
              13-8-2010 16:40:46 Warning Unable to send a NULL command to Z-Wave device 44
              13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
              13-8-2010 16:40:46 Z-Wave Found 32 Z-Wave nodes
              Node 44 is a battery operated controller, which means that HomeSeer can NOT set up an association from the controller to HomeSeer very easily - it has to have the command class information which you are not able to get loaded. However, if you use the Merten controller to set up the association, it may work. In that case, it may be necessary in their procedure to send the node information frame from HomeSeer at the right time - to do that, note that at the bottom of the Manage Z-Wave Controller page, there is a button that says "Include Button" - that will cause HomeSeer to send out its node information frame so that it can be included in your node 44 controller.
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
              X