Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Error with sending an Email

The error is as follows ...

9/4/2010 9:25:00 PM - Error - Sending email using SMTP: The server rejected the sender address. The server response was: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. z6sm3940899ibc.6

I am trying to use my GMAIL account .. is this the problem??

I have attached a file of my email settings .. all works if I go direct with Outlook (which I do not want) .. do not know why this does not work ..

I have seen something about SMTP .. and something to do with "tunnel" but do not understand it ..

Any thought from others ...

tanx.. Don

image..doc

GMail uses SSL (secure) email, unfortunately out of the box HS does not support SSL.

The workarounds can be either use an email plugin, use stunnel or use MAPI.

MAPI is like a link between Outlook Express/Outlook to another application, I use it with HomeSeer. All you put in HomeSeer is set 'use mapi for email' to yes and put the MAPI username/password in and your all set.

You may have to set check email to yes and run Outlook at the same time though.

I never got stunnel to work, although alot of other people have - if you search the board for stunnel I think there are some GMail config files that people have posted.

Comment

thanks for the comments .. how do you stop the Outlook message re another service trying to use Outlook, that requires a person to answer..

I do not want to use Outlook (if possible and will do some research into the 'stunnel' function.

Don

Comment

In outlook express if you go into tools, options, security and untick the box which says 'warn me when other applications try to send mail as me'. Don't know where it is in Outlook but can't be that different..

Comment

E-mail clients that work with Homeseer

I use Win 7 on my Homeseer machine. Apparently MS does not provide Outlook Express for Win 7 and Windows Live Mail does not support MAPI So is there another e-mail client that will work with Homeseer? I tried Thunderbird, but that did not appear to work

Comment

HS3 supports SSL and has a radio button for "use gmail" which just works - no fuss, no muss.

So it appears this is a rather strong reason to switch from HS2 to HS3. If only HS3 was a little more stable...

Yahoo requires SSL now. I was using them for sending mail/text alerts but they have changed to requiring SSL.
            Gmail also requires SSL but appears you can send to another gmail user without SSL.

Comment

Working...
            X