Virtualization for Dummies: What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so that lil box also stretches some..
    my biggie is to get the cameras in place... that is my main goal... all of them.. and where i want them...

then im going to work on a quality board or unit.. guy at work doesnt use homeseer.. he is new.. our new san guy... he has a HAI panel and does light control.... also he has cameras.. his camera units are $800 each or so... now he is a dealer so he gets a huge break in price to which he didnt have to pay that much.... ill ask him what boxes he is using...

if i ever have to resort back to the pics.. I WANT TO IDENTIFY PEEPS!!!!!!!!! not a blurry blob like when they show a minor talking on tv and blot their face out..
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I saw stationary indoor less than $150 HD IP cams now (imports from mwave). Video is high def. I was going to try one outside. On a side note I've taken apart one of my analogue Optex combos and it appears to have a standard video board / lens such that I could maybe go to a hi-res / wider angle board in the same small footprint outdoor cam.

Read good things about this one for a bit more. The nicer $800 plus are called Mobotix cams.

Checkout this picture (cross post from ZM forum).

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...DIGITAL ZOOM M
      Last edited by Pete; November 12, 2010, 09:20 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Another update!
        HomeSeer is virtualized!

... and I have to say, like I've said earlier: I should have done this a long time ago!

Everything is working like it should, and just a few tweaks were necessary. The Script Connector plugin is a fantastic product, and virtualization could not have been done without it.

I've also re-enabled the Sentry in HS Pro. I didn't use it before as I didn't like HomeSeer closing down the whole computer (when it had to, of course), but now it doesn't hurt any of the other tasks the server performs.

I installed the virtual machine on my main server, made sure everything worked, then just copied the harddrive-file back to the server. Done! Fantastic!
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by moskus View Post
          another update!
          homeseer is virtualized! :d

... And i have to say, like i've said earlier: I should have done this a long time ago!

everything is working like it should, and just a few tweaks were necessary. The script connector plugin is a fantastic product, and virtualization could not have been done without it.

I've also re-enabled the sentry in hs pro. I didn't use it before as i didn't like homeseer closing down the whole computer (when it had to, of course), but now it doesn't hurt any of the other tasks the server performs.

I installed the virtual machine on my main server, made sure everything worked, then just copied the harddrive-file back to the server. Done! Fantastic! :d

congrats!!!!!!!!!

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
            Another update!
            HomeSeer is virtualized!

... and I have to say, like I've said earlier: I should have done this a long time ago!

Everything is working like it should, and just a few tweaks were necessary. The Script Connector plugin is a fantastic product, and virtualization could not have been done without it.

I've also re-enabled the Sentry in HS Pro. I didn't use it before as I didn't like HomeSeer closing down the whole computer (when it had to, of course), but now it doesn't hurt any of the other tasks the server performs.

I installed the virtual machine on my main server, made sure everything worked, then just copied the harddrive-file back to the server. Done! Fantastic!

any other updates????

so the only thing stopping me from going virtual was the CCTV card...
            but now im thinking of ditching the card as there are no 64 bit drivers..

now I have access to MSDN for WHS 32 and 64.. I love my WHS 32.. but needs to be activated so I need to install the MSDN...

so my questions to you to keep your virtual thread going (if you dont mind or i can start my own)...

i have to read back through your stuff.. but for hardware I have a small setup...

my serial devices
            1. Concord 4 alarm connected via Superbus 2000 - on onboard serial
            2. W800 - on digi 4 port
            3. Brultech 1240 x 2 - on digi 4 port
            4. ACT-TI103 - on digi 4 port
            5. z-troller - on digi 4 port

USB devices
            rfxcom 433

other than 2 cctv cameras on cctv card
            2 IP cameras

do you see any issue with me implementing WHS 64 bit in VM????
            ill buy one of the IP adapters you bought.. guessing they are like $80...

right now my hardware is in my sig..
            but i have a server... dell poweredge 840
            quad xeon X3220
            8gb ram (whs 2011 will benefit but whs 32 wont)
            4 x sata 500gb drives....
            3 or 4 open internal bays for sata drives so i can put my sig drives in.....

only downside to using internal bays is they wont be on the raid set... so i would keep a drive in my remote gaming rig and do a robocopy every night.. do that now..
            do a add newer files for 1 month and at the first of the month I do a robocopy /MIR (mirror)... to cleanup... so if the wife needs to find something.. I HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

WHS in a VM will be fine. As long as your hardware is up to date enough to support the VMDirectPath stuff you should be fine with your USB devices and the Digi should work just fine with your VMs.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                so my questions to you to
                No problem, it's better to keep "everything" in one thread.

Like I've said before, I don't see any advantages of running WHS on a virtual machine, the whole point (at least to me) is to have a central storage (and that's why I'm not upgrading yet, I want a stable Drive Pool alternative before I do) and let it do all the work in the mean time.

In other words: WHS likes storage. The more the better, I have 5 TB and thinking about upgrading a coulpe of disks.

But my WHS server is getting older, and I'm thinking about getting a better one for WHS 2011 (which is 64 bit) and make it run VMware Server 2.0 for my virtual machines. The machine needs to be able to run those VMs pretty smooth, at least better than now.

But now everything is actually working OK. I've done some small changes since I started this thread so now I have two virtual machines:
                1) HomeSeer
                2) HStouch clients (running on three different accounts and using RDP from clients around the house).

The hardware I have is:
                3x IP9100A for video (and other IP cameras)
                1x new RFXLAN (I absolutely love this new box!!!!)
                2x Belkin Network USB Hubs (works great for all USB devices, including RFXCOM)
                1x Quatech RS232-to-IP for my CM11 x10 interface
                1x Global Cache GC-100-6 for sending infrared signals (using UltraGCIR)

... and everything is actually running smooth. The best part about virtualizing is that restarting a virtual machine is sooo much faster than restarting the whole system. That is almost never done anymore.

And backups is so easy! Just copy the whole shabang over to an external hard drive (I have even set up a schedule). I back up the HomeSeer virtual machine to Crashplan Plus every week too, just in case.

I love the virtualized world!
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

No problem, it's better to keep "everything" in one thread.

Like I've said before, I don't see any advantages of running WHS on a virtual machine, the whole point (at least to me) is to have a central storage (and that's why I'm not upgrading yet, I want a stable Drive Pool alternative before I do) and let it do all the work in the mean time.

In other words: WHS likes storage. The more the better, I have 5 TB and thinking about upgrading a coulpe of disks.

But my WHS server is getting older, and I'm thinking about getting a better one for WHS 2011 (which is 64 bit) and make it run VMware Server 2.0 for my virtual machines. The machine needs to be able to run those VMs pretty smooth, at least better than now.

But now everything is actually working OK. I've done some small changes since I started this thread so now I have two virtual machines:
                  1) HomeSeer
                  2) HStouch clients (running on three different accounts and using RDP from clients around the house).

The hardware I have is:
                  3x IP9100A for video (and other IP cameras)
                  1x new RFXLAN (I absolutely love this new box!!!!)
                  2x Belkin Network USB Hubs (works great for all USB devices, including RFXCOM)
                  1x Quatech RS232-to-IP for my CM11 x10 interface
                  1x Global Cache GC-100-6 for sending infrared signals (using UltraGCIR)

... and everything is actually running smooth. The best part about virtualizing is that restarting a virtual machine is sooo much faster than restarting the whole system. That is almost never done anymore.

And backups is so easy! Just copy the whole shabang over to an external hard drive (I have even set up a schedule). I back up the HomeSeer virtual machine to Crashplan Plus every week too, just in case.

I love the virtualized world!

glad all is good for ya...
                  yeah im with ya..
                  i have a dell poweredge server... quad core 2.4 xeon...
                  up and running with 8gb of ram.. was my esxi box but just installed whs 2011 on it.. currently installing patches and stuff...

so you say install hs into a vm... what are you doing about sound?
                  also instead of vmware server.. have you thought of virtual box? im hearing that virtual box vs vmware server is way better as vmware server 2 is now from 2009 and no new updates.... but they say in the pay world... vm workstation is way better than virtual box.... supposedly vm's access to video cards and stuff....

now i think the original problem i had trying to get vail running on this dell was that the pci cctv card didnt support 64bit.... but since i now have 2 ip cameras.. and looking at the box like you have for 4 ip cams server....

plus work said i can use the msdn copy as none of them are going to use it.... so now i have a free o/s!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

so you running hs on xp sp3? audio?

Comment

so you running hs on xp sp3? audio?
                    Yeah. The audio is forwared to the host OS (WHS). And it has been playing nice for months now.

I see your point about VMware Server 2.0, I wish they would continue updating it. I'm sure WMware Workstation is great, but I would like to run my VMs as a service.

Comment

Yeah. The audio is forwared to the host OS (WHS). And it has been playing nice for months now.

I see your point about VMware Server 2.0, I wish they would continue updating it. I'm sure WMware Workstation is great, but I would like to run my VMs as a service.
                      just noticed your in norway.. well it is 5am here!!!

well i dont have a sound card in my server.. so have to add one...
                      run as a service? ill have to look into that.. but i bet virtual box and vm workstation do that...

i currently have my hs install on whs 32... so yeah move a vm would be nice.. but instead i have to install hs... then copy over directory.. or may do a fresh install....
                      thanks for the pointers....

Comment

just noticed your in norway.. well it is 5am here!!!
                        You know us Norwegians, we're always ahead.

Besides thinking about virtualization, why are you up?

well i dont have a sound card in my server.. so have to add one...
                        run as a service? ill have to look into that.. but i bet virtual box and vm workstation do that...
                        If you add an USB sound card using a USB-to-IP device (like my Belkin Network USB Hub) then you can easily add it to the virtual machine.

Running as a service is in my opinion absolutely necessary, but I haven't checked out VMware Workstation.

i currently have my hs install on whs 32... so yeah move a vm would be nice.. but instead i have to install hs... then copy over directory.. or may do a fresh install...

Comment

You know us Norwegians, we're always ahead.

Besides thinking about virtualization, why are you up?
                          work..
                          up and out the door between 5am-5:45am
                          at work (60 mile drive) in less than an hr...

well definitely install it on something else if you havent seen it yet.. i installed it on my dell server.. dell server has 8gb ram but no sound card... no biggie can add a sound card...
                          but what i dont like is how it now handles the drives..

in whs 32 you have a c: and d:
                          keep adding drives and they add to d:
                          I then use file duplicates so kinda like a software raid. Plus I also robocopy out the files to a remote machine....

in whs 2011...
                          you add a drive and it adds a drive... then you can assign folders to the drive... guessing that is good for some.. but to me..

disk 1 c=os | d=pictures, docs, cctv pics
                          disk 2 e=apps
                          disk 3 f=movies, music
                          disk 4 g=backups

now i guess this is ok.. buuuuuut to me... I liked it the old way.. you need more space add a drive or add a bigger drive.. it does all the thinking..

so i see positives to this..
                          you can have different size drives in there... so you can have a 250gb backup drive, 2tb apps drive, etc....

but to me that is just a pita... so im just going to stay on the old version as I am....

i get ya on the move vms around.. but my house can be down for a few moments while I reboot.... still not sure if im going to vm my hs install yet...

Comment

now i guess this is ok.. buuuuuut to me... I liked it the old way.. you need more space add a drive or add a bigger drive.. it does all the thinking..
                            There are at least four different Drive Pool alternatives currently under development, so there's hope after all.

I'm not upgrading to WHS 2011 until at least one of these alternatives are out of beta and/or deemed "stable".

Comment

not sure if you saw this... but vmware converter.. it can take a machine powered on and make it into a VM!!!!
                              you can do it as an esxi vm or wrkstation/server vm....
                              im playing with it now at work.. doing 2 machines P2V (Physical to Virtual).. you can do other iteratins like v2v and stuff..
                              i downloaded it and got confused because they have vcenter in the name so i thought it was a tie into vcenter...
                              but if you get vmware vcenter converter standalone you can do multiples at once too.... hey and best of all it is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so got an xp machine with HS u want to do a vm.. this makes it easier!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I saw VMware Converter, but to me it only makes sense if you already have a machine dedicated to do one, and only one, thing.

I have never had a physical machine doing just one thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X