Virtualization for Dummies: What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyupdate on this thread?

Did either of you migrate to the newer ESXi 5.0?

I am considering going Virt. with HS if all my hardware will work.
    There is supposed to be better PCI/USB passthrough in that version.
    I too will be runnig HS and SageTv in virt's.

Thanks, this was a good read.

-Skybolt
    -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
      Anyupdate on this thread?

Did either of you migrate to the newer ESXi 5.0?

I am considering going Virt. with HS if all my hardware will work.
      There is supposed to be better PCI/USB passthrough in that version.
      I too will be runnig HS and SageTv in virt's.

Thanks, this was a good read.

-Skybolt
      im staying out of virtual... cuz im also running whs... backing up my stuff right now so i can reinstall the OS and go whs 2011...

i installed esxi5 at work.. and it doesnt like some devices.. couldnt get it go install straight up on a hp 7900 or 8000 or 8200.. the elite series... i had to install an additional nic (old style) into the 8200.... just to get network..... the 7900... couldnt get hard drives seen... and that was using sata or ide compatible mode.... just wouldnt work...

i think you would want to get esx5 installed first to see if you can get it installed first... i believe it is pickyer on drivers....
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
        im staying out of virtual... i think you would want to get esx5 installed first to see if you can get it installed first... i believe it is pickyer on drivers....
        That's disappointing, I was hoping for better news. Just curious, why WHS and not 2008R2?
        -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
          That's disappointing, I was hoping for better news. Just curious, why WHS and not 2008R2?
          well i opted to not reinstall yet... my gaming rig went down.. sprung a leak and took the motherboard out and 1 of 2 video cards.. (dont ask )

so im still on whs 32bit (server 2003 small business server based)
          i was planning on going with WHS 2011 (it is server 2008 r2 based)

my main thing for this is simple... whs has a nice feature of backing up computers.. i have used it 5 times in 3 weeks.. kept putting hd's in the wifes computer and they were old and kept dying.. so i bought a new drive and was done with that..

it is really nice... i dont need the true functions of server 2008 r2... but whs will do pc backup and organize files, etc.... plus i have a msdn copy of each my boss let me use.. so my choice...

view it here
          http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I'm using two servers now. One for the VMs (an old laptop running Win7 and just plain VMserver 2.0 (it wouldn't take ESXi), will upgrade when I can justify spending the money) and one for all my files running WHS 1.

Very happy with that setup. I can hack on and reboot the HS machine without taking down WHS (and SageTV with it).
            HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
            Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
            on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
            WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
              I'm using two servers now. One for the VMs (an old laptop running Win7 and just plain VMserver 2.0 (it wouldn't take ESXi), will upgrade when I can justify spending the money) and one for all my files running WHS 1.

Very happy with that setup. I can hack on and reboot the HS machine without taking down WHS (and SageTV with it).

thought there was no reason to run whs in a vm?

Comment

thought there was no reason to run whs in a vm?
                There are good reasons not to run WHS in a VM, at least to me (limited harddrive usage is one).

And I'm not running WHS in a VM...
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

.... plus i have a msdn copy of each my boss let me use.. so my choice...

view it here
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
                  Thought that might be the case which is why I asked, same for me. But I am still running 2003R2 for HS and 2008R2 for SageTv. I have been thinking of going WHS2011, then I thought I would use my 2008 machine to run Hyper-v then I found out no USB/PCI Passthrough which is why I was asking about ESXi 5.0, but that sounds like too much work with very little reward at this point for me.

Anyway Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear your radiator sprung a leak ... I know the feeling, no more water cooling for me.

-Skybolt
                  -Skybolt

Comment

I am considering going down the virtualization route.

I have the Qualtech serial server but the Belkin USB network device seems to be out of production. Has anyone found a good USB network device that works?

Also, how did you virtualize your audio? For instance, if you are using text-to-speech from a local sound-card did you find a way to re-direct the sound card audio to IP? I have a couple of Apple Airport Express that I use to stream iTunes. It seems those kinds of devices could be used.

Comment

I was looking for some USB over Ip hubs and I found one at monoprice it says it supports virtually any usb device and it a gigabit ethernet port with 4 USB 2.0 ports and the price is right!

I got one on order and will see if it works out

Monoprice item# 7527

Comment

Originally posted by Aksor View Post
                        I was looking for some USB over Ip hubs and I found one at monoprice it says it supports virtually any usb device and it a gigabit ethernet port with 4 USB 2.0 ports and the price is right!

Monoprice item# 7527
                        i love monoprice... i will have to check that one out...

Comment

Is anyone running Homeseer on Oracle's free Virtualbox?

Is it good/bad?

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJF3 View Post
                            Is anyone running Homeseer on Oracle's free Virtualbox?

Is it good/bad?

DJ
                            I havent installed HS on them yet, but I have VirtualBox loaded with Ubuntu and a plain XP SP3 install. The idea is that when HS3 is released, I'll have multiple platforms to test some plugins I wrote. I'll be able to rollback very quickly to a vanilla setup during testing.
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Aksor View Post

Monoprice item# 7527
                              I wasn't able to find this on Monoprice. What brand/model was it?
                              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I am interested in potentially running my Homeseer Server on VMWARE, I am thinking towards HS3 and Linux support and in my case I have a Windows Application I would need to continue running, so the thought was i could run the Homeseer Server on Linux (potentially) and then run the windows XP machine in the same VMWARE server.

What i am interested in, has anyone been running VMWARE on a low powered, or at least low power (energy) machine. I am thinking my wife would be annoyed if i create a beast of a machine which runs all the time and uses lots of energy to run two virtual machines, and wonder if it could be done so it is more energy efficient.

The other option would be to just not move to HS3 Linux, and keep everything windows and low powered, but interested on people's thoughts on how you virtualize machines and keep it energy efficient. If you are going from a few machines to one it makes sense, but if you are going from one machine to a few virtual machines how can it be power efficient relative to what it was before.

Thanks!
                                HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X