Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manxam
    replied
    Simple! Running ESX here and have RDM's (raw device mapping) encompassing 32TB passing through to a Linux Guest as well as another 4TB being passed to a Win08 Server.

Basically you pass the raw drive as a "virtual drive" in ESXi and it's accessed natively. If you need to move a hard drive just remove it from the Guest in vSphere and put it in a new box which will treat it just like a native drive (Which is still is)

Best instructions are HERE.
    See the section on "CREATING A PHYSICAL RDM"

If you need any more help just scream!

Leave a comment:

• heatvent
    replied
    I have been trying to virtualize my HomeSeer, Media Center and Home Server setups and thought I might reach out to this thread for some advice. I have been searching through various VM related threads on other forums and quite frankly, there is a ton of technical jargon as well as various views on what is the proper way to virtualize (which I am not necessarily interested in). My issue is I have about 3TB of data (videos, music, photos, etc.) and I don't want to have to copy all of this over to a VM/virtual hard drive. I would rather keep the data drives as they are and access them directly. I have tried ESXi 5.1 and although I have found it very simple to get up and running, getting this to work has been a bit of a mystery. I thought I would try Hyper-V 2012 since it's MS and I was thinking would be a little happier connecting to a NTFS based drive. However, I setup Hyper-V in a VMware workstation environment and haven't been able to get the network adapter to work correctly and get an IP on my network. So rather than fumbling around with this for several more hours (probably days), I thought I would reach out to some friendly HomeSeer folk and get some advice. Specifically, would you go with ESXi or Hyper-V for what I am looking to do, and how big of a task do you think this will be to get this setup the way I want. Also, if I am missing something (i.e. there is an easy way to import data into a VM), please let me know that as well.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• juande
    replied
    Hi All

I'm already using HSPro under VMWare workstation 9 in windows 8. The setup is a i7 intel with 16 gigs ram running 2 VMs: 1 for HS and one for CCTV server.

Host machine is running natively HSTouch client with a dual screen. One screen is used to manage the host and the 2nd one is a touch screen used to run the hstouch client.

This setup runs pretty well, although I would prefer to move to an ESXi server configuration. The problem that stops me moving to this configuration is HSTouch client. I know that with ESXi you cannot passthrough the Video output to one VM and this is really annonying to migrate.

I have considered the option of one low power hw just for hstouch or even an USB-to -VGA converter, but have no references on this and I wouldn't like to add more power consumption to my current setup.

Do you have guys any recommendation or experience into this?

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• pbibm
    replied
    I think this is why the population of the Eldery Gentlemen's club is so high on HS. You do need time to explore, learn, make things work while not knocking your house out of the water.

Truth be told, I have one in college and one senior in high school so I am entering the realm of having more time. I am tippy toeing up on joining the Elderly Gentleman's Club group and probably guilty of denial.....

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    ...But it takes time, and I don't have too much of that at the moment.
    join the club...
    i work 60 miles away.. so when i get home.. i have to take kid A 20 miles to get soccer pics done.. then on way back.. trade kid A for kid B so the wife can take Kid A to soccer practice and I take kid B to practice (i coach him)...

saturday and sunday are soccer games... sunday is travel... thank goodness hockey ended... but will start soon...!!!!
    hurt my back and leg... so havent been able to do anything lately... grrrrr

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Maybe setting up a second ESXi machine just to play with with nothing important on it such that you can break it et al might give you the opportunity to test out stuff without messing any "production" stuff might help.
    Yes, I tink I'll do just that. I need to learn the basic.

It seems that every time I open a new door there's so much new to learn. But I really think I should be grateful for that.
    But it takes time, and I don't have too much of that at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    oh and if your bored...

great reads.. one of my blades are in there somewhere.. forget what page..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1376255

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    well i had.. and said had because i started tearing it apart.. but may put it back together again..

a dell poweredge 840 as listed above.. a dell optiplex 745, 755, 760 all SFF (small form factor).. had them all running hypervisor 5i...
    really cool... 1 with all my servers running... 1 with 4 XP vms... 1 with Win 7 vms... and 1 trying to get working as some kind of nas.. freenas or the sort..

since it is free.. it is nice.. at my last job we had a hp c7000 chassis with 16 blades that were dual Cpu 12 cores each and 256gb ram connected to a san..

then vmware vcenter was used to organize ALL of them into 1 management console..

that is how you play..

vcenter.. create a data center.. add all servers....
    put all vms on a central storage location..

with vms up you can move the vm's to different servers while they are still running (vmotion).. get them off the servers and then can go into maintenance mode and reboot servers...

but now with me just having no vcenter.. i have to console into each.. what a pita!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    The propietary cmd line commands are written kind of cryptically unless you are really familiar with it.

Personally I always either was moving rarely utilized or simple function servers into the virtual world so at the time more into the virtual machines themselves and what they could do for my testing and use.

I would over see though the addition of network interfaces and storage and it seemed straight forward utilizing the console GUI; always wanted it yesterday; never fast enough for me. (even though it would take only about 10 minutes).

Maybe setting up a second ESXi machine just to play with with nothing important on it such that you can break it et al might give you the opportunity to test out stuff without messing any "production" stuff might help.
    Last edited by Pete; September 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Really Raid is just a level of resilence and how many drives you want to commit to said resilence. I have two NAS boxes which are at Raid 5 with hot drives in standby mode. Rest mostly in a Raid 2 (mirror) configuration. Its a balance though between performance and resilence. The raid 5 box is used for mostly video streaming & stora
    That's basically what I know. But I have no experience with setting it up, and no experience what so ever with using it with ESXi in terms of hardware needed and such.

I understand that it's possible to have the virtual machine on a datastore on a NAS, but it might not be as easy to set up as I'd like.

But now I have no method of backing up my virtual hard drives on my ESXi machine, and I don't like the feeling. Actually, it's freaking me out a little...

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Magnus,

Really Raid is just a level of resilence and how many drives you want to commit to said resilence. I have two NAS boxes which are at Raid 5 with hot drives in standby mode. Rest mostly in a Raid 2 (mirror) configuration. Its a balance though between performance and resilence. The raid 5 box is used for mostly video streaming & storage these days and it does just fine with 1080 HD movies on the Gb lan.

It used to be than a hardware level card Raid configuration was faster than a software level raid configuration. Today its really not too different. IE: I configured the IBM 1015 SATA3 PCiE X 8 - 8 port raid card in a software raid even though it was part of the basic OS.

I reflashed the IBM 1015 to suit my needs; easy to do and the card was only about $50 refurbished and now considered "old" technology.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    I only wish I knew more about RAID and stuff like that. Now I only have one drive, and I really had to struggle to make ESXi run on my HP xw4550.

Hoping for more knowledge soon...

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    Finally upgraded from VMware Server 2.0 to ESXi 5.1. The change was bigger then I expected.
    im running 5.1 also.. really nice...
    im not running HS in it though... im using it for other things...

dell poweredge 840... quadcore xeon... 8gb ram... 4x500gb hotswap drives... LOVEN IT!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    Finally upgraded from VMware Server 2.0 to ESXi 5.1. The change was bigger then I expected.

Leave a comment:

• skybolt
    replied
    For what it is worth I am now running HS Pro on an atom (See Sig) and it never even breaks a sweat, can't remember when I last rebooted it. I am looking into getting this into a Hyper-v cenerio along with 7MC (Sadly- SageTv is now dead for the most part).

I am very happy with the atom solution but I would ber happier with it in one of my virtuals. I need to figure out the multiple sound card issue, I use the server for the speaking proxy through my elk setup. Worst case I guess I could run it on the main Hyper-V server but that is not my first option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X