Delay with motion detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delay with motion detectors

Using the Hawkeye motion detectors to trigger events and the delay is very long between when it see's motion and when the lights come one (that is what I have it doing is turning on lights.)

How can I speed that up?
    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

What is your currect setup? X10 motions sensors > ??? to HomeSeer. The W800 and the ACRF2 plugin are the fastest route for X10. If you want even faster responses try a Z-Wave motion sensor and then hardwired.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have found that even hard wired motion sensors dont turn on as fast as I like when I enter a room so I just use them to detect occupancy and then turn the lights off behind me (by me, I mean the kids )

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        What is your currect setup? X10 motions sensors > ??? to HomeSeer. The W800 and the ACRF2 plugin are the fastest route for X10. If you want even faster responses try a Z-Wave motion sensor and then hardwired.
        I have the X10 motion sensors going to a TM751 Tranceiver Module. That in turns go to a Cm11a via serial to the HTroller.

I will soon have my DSC motion sensors via 433Mghz Wireless installed. Can I use those?

Thanks for the help!

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by someguysname View Post
          I have found that even hard wired motion sensors dont turn on as fast as I like when I enter a room so I just use them to detect occupancy and then turn the lights off behind me (by me, I mean the kids )
          That's odd as my X10 motion sensors control all of my closet lights, bathroom lights and pantry lights and the door isn't fully open before the lights go on. The is using Z-Wave switches, X10 motion sensors, W800 receiver, ACRF2 plugin, and HomeSeer.

Comment

That's odd as my X10 motion sensors control all of my closet lights, bathroom lights and pantry lights and the door isn't fully open before the lights go on. The is using Z-Wave switches, X10 motion sensors, W800 receiver, ACRF2 plugin, and HomeSeer.
            SO fare the setup is the same cept no w800 *not sure what that is and no ACRF2.

THe odd thing is that whith an RF X10 remote pad, the lights are instant.

Comment

So what RF receiver are you using? If it's one of the plugin types these can cause issues with all motions being on the same house code causing collisions.

Comment

So what RF receiver are you using? If it's one of the plugin types these can cause issues with all motions being on the same house code causing collisions.
                One of these bad boys:

Currently it is on the same house code as my other lights because that is how we control the bedroom lights.

I changed the house code on the RF receiver to see if that helps and it did not.

Comment

It probably has a lot to do with me as a person. I walk...extremely fast. It drives my wife insane to go anywhere with me (or drives me insane walking at her pace is more like it) Even when I go backpacking I usually end up way ahead of everyone else and have to stop and wait on them for awhile.

Anyway, even floodlights with built in motion sensors are too slow for my tastes. But again, it probably has more to do with me than the technology...

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                    One of these bad boys:

Currently it is on the same house code as my other lights because that is how we control the bedroom lights.

I changed the house code on the RF receiver to see if that helps and it did not.
                    Yup. These are slow. I suspect most of the problem is that they convert the X10 RF to X10 power line signal, then send that out to HS, which then generates the X10 power line signal that actually turns on the light. The minimum time for all that to happen is at least two seconds, but it often can take 3-5 or more, which is an eternity if you are waiting for a light to come on. Have you tried to measure the time delay accurately?

The advantage with the W800 and ACRF2 is that HS gets the RF directly, and only the command to the switch has to travel on the power line, cutting the delay to about one second. (Of course, if you use UPB or Z-Wave the signal to the switch is also quicker, so response is even more immediate.)
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

THanks!

I am only X10 from the motion to the RF box from there powerline to HS to Zwave tot he lights.

Also, the speed when using an RF X10 remote is super fast.

Comment

If you are going to use several X10 motion sensors then you will definitely want to invest in either the W800 or the RFXCom receivers as these speed communications up but more importantly get all that X10 traffic off your power lines.

Comment

To reinforce Rupp's comments - It is imperative to keep the X10 powerline activity to a minimum. Your DS10A sends only an RF signal which is picked up by your TM751 (or equiv) transceiver. (If you have multiple transceivers, the X10 powerline will likely bog down with multiple copies sent sequentially.) The transceiver(s) will not sent out the powerline signal until the DS10A has completed its RF transmission. The transceiver will begin its powerline transmission, but only after ensuring that there is no powerline activity on the line. Your CM11A receives the powerline signal, but only sends it to your Htroller only after receiving the full data stream - typically 1.5-2.5 seconds. You then send that via serial cable to the Hometroller which cannot issue any powerline commands until the powerline is silent. At this point, HS resends the original powerline signal back out to the powerline. I would not be surprised to see a delay of 4-6 seconds between your DS10A sensing motion and an X10 event triggering a command. The conversion from RF to powerline to serial to HS is taking its toll on response. A "direct" conversion (RF to serial to HS) eliminates at least half of the blocking powerline activity.

At some point, you will find that most devices such as the DS10A with one-way signalling really should be on a separate, dedicated X10 house code.* These one-way devices do not accept any RF or powerline signalling from HS. This allows you (with a W800 or Rfxcom receiver and ACRF2 interface) to turn off a software switch in ACRF2 which 'repeats' the incoming signal to the powerline. This software switch turns on or off all repeater activity for a full X10 house code (all 16 device codes).

* Direct device control is an exception

Comment

Thank you!

One thing to note, I am not using a DS10A, I am using motion sensors, Hawkeyes. The lights that I am controlling are Zwave so, it looks like this:

Motions x10 -->to TM751 --> CM11A via PL -->to HS via Serial -->to Events in HS --> to Ztroller via Serial --> to lights and other stuff (internal in HS)

How does that change anything?

Does it?

Originally posted by BobT View Post
                            To reinforce Rupp's comments - It is imperative to keep the X10 powerline activity to a minimum. Your DS10A sends only an RF signal which is picked up by your TM751 (or equiv) transceiver. (If you have multiple transceivers, the X10 powerline will likely bog down with multiple copies sent sequentially.) The transceiver(s) will not sent out the powerline signal until the DS10A has completed its RF transmission. The transceiver will begin its powerline transmission, but only after ensuring that there is no powerline activity on the line. Your CM11A receives the powerline signal, but only sends it to your Htroller only after receiving the full data stream - typically 1.5-2.5 seconds. You then send that via serial cable to the Hometroller which cannot issue any powerline commands until the powerline is silent. At this point, HS resends the original powerline signal back out to the powerline. I would not be surprised to see a delay of 4-6 seconds between your DS10A sensing motion and an X10 event triggering a command. The conversion from RF to powerline to serial to HS is taking its toll on response. A "direct" conversion (RF to serial to HS) eliminates at least half of the blocking powerline activity.

At some point, you will find that most devices such as the DS10A with one-way signalling really should be on a separate, dedicated X10 house code.* These one-way devices do not accept any RF or powerline signalling from HS. This allows you (with a W800 or Rfxcom receiver and ACRF2 interface) to turn off a software switch in ACRF2 which 'repeats' the incoming signal to the powerline. This software switch turns on or off all repeater activity for a full X10 house code (all 16 device codes).

* Direct device control is an exception

Comment

The same reasoning holds true for all of the MSxx series motion sensors. These devices utilize a one-way RF transmission. It is wasteful of both time and powerline bandwidth to retransmit that signal back out to the powerline when there is nothing on your network that can use it. (Your TM751 sends it to the powerline once and HS resends it again.) X10 limits are shown in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard

Comment

Working...
                              X