Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwikset vs Schlage locks Code complexity

Hi guys,

I have been searching for a while for an answer to this one and i can't find anything...

I am looking to buy the Kwikset z-wave lock however i have a question about the code complexity.

The Kwikset lock has 5 buttons labeled: 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 9-0

it seems to me that there are only 5 inputs to the lock vs the schlage that has 10 buttons 1-10.

that seems like a huge difference in the code complexity, 5 vs 10.

I realize that eitherway you can have 4-8 digits but still.

Does anyone have any input here?

Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

What are your concerns exactly? If someone wants in they are not going to press the buttons until they figure out the code, they will kick in the door.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes that is true,

do the locks have some kind of lockout feature if the code is entered in incorrectly X number of times?

Raptor
      HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
      https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I've been pretty happy with the Schlage door lock. The only thing I dont like is that the handle opens always from the inside - not good when you have a toddler
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
          Yes that is true,

do the locks have some kind of lockout feature if the code is entered in incorrectly X number of times?

Raptor
          I know the Schlage will lockout for ~30 seconds after 4 incorrect tries...
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

the kwikset locks out for 30 seconds on 3 incorrect attempts, you can also setup an event based on this. After 3 incorrect attempts the system sends me a txt if im not home

I was also worried about the 5 keys as opposed to 10.. but i have all 8 digit codes.. so there are 40320 combiniations of just 8 digit codes

So if someone was trying only 8 digit codes.. it would take 524160 seconds at 3 seconds per code which would take just over 6 days.

I think that is right????, lol either way, its alot

-Tom-
            Last edited by twa8000; January 6, 2011, 03:04 PM.
            -Tom-

Comment

I have the Schlage but is there any way to lock-out even people with user codes on the Kwikset. Just temporarily of course, to keep people out until de-activated.

Comment

-only way I can think of is to have an event trigger on a code change
                -in script, read the value in the device that holds
                -in script, send the unlock to the lock
                -in script, wait 7 seconds
                -in script, re-lock the lock
                -in script, disable that event (or start ignoring THAT code).

--Dan
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                X