Updater concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updater concerns

I notice that the thread about help desk response is closed, but an important theme should not be lost. There is clearly a perception that the updater contains plug-ins that are not fit for use and should be withdrawn. If true, that's a serious problem.

While this board is an obvious way to generate discussion about that topic, it might be more productive for HST to initiate an official effort to assemble a list of candidate 'broken' plug-ins that should either be fixed or removed from the updater. I am not aware of any official mechanism for members of this community to make such a suggestion, so I'm taking the liberty to do it this way.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Apps

I would love to be able to review plug-ins a la the apple app store.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
      I would love to be able to review plug-ins a la the apple app store.
      That occurred to me too. It will require some overhead to monitor it to assure the reviews reflect actual user experience, but it would be a terrific addition.

Another idea would be to add some designation to each plug-in that would indicate how much confidence HST has in its performance - and how much effort they are willing to expend to assure that users are completely satisfied with it! It might consist of a three- to five-level certification score ranging from, 'Full approval, satisfaction guaranteed.' to 'Use at your own risk. You are on your own.'

I also think it would be helpful if the option to purchase a plug-in were removed from the updater entirely. Trying out a plug-in for up to 30 days is extremely valuable, and reminding us - especially new users - to take advantage of that option would be an easy way to minimize the chance that someone feels they've been misled or bilked.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I like the idea of a rating system, that would be useful. Something as simple as a poll kind of thing where you rate it say 1 to 5. It would work best if it was dated somehow so users could see if ratings were dropping in the last period of time they would have an indication the plug-in might need work or an update.

Non of this of course would help new users who started out with the Pro version. They've already bought those HS branded plug-ins, no matter how they're rated. IMO I never thought including all plug-ins was a good idea for anything more than a quick bump in sales.

Much like the HomeSeer core that needs to be re-written from time to time and there is an upgrade cost for that, plug-ins also need the same treatment.

As much as we'd all like to buy something once and have it work forever, through all the changing environments and OS changes, that's not a good business model for continued success.

Not many into home automation, be it as a hobby, a passion or a business, expected it to be inexpensive and it's not. I'd personally rather buy what I need, weather it's a plug-in, or an upgrade to the core or a major re-write to a plug-in and know that I'm at least getting value for my hard earned cash.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          That occurred to me too. It will require some overhead to monitor it to assure the reviews reflect actual user experience, but it would be a terrific addition.

Another idea would be to add some designation to each plug-in that would indicate how much confidence HST has in its performance - and how much effort they are willing to expend to assure that users are completely satisfied with it! It might consist of a three- to five-level certification score ranging from, 'Full approval, satisfaction guaranteed.' to 'Use at your own risk. You are on your own.'

I also think it would be helpful if the option to purchase a plug-in were removed from the updater entirely. Trying out a plug-in for up to 30 days is extremely valuable, and reminding us - especially new users - to take advantage of that option would be an easy way to minimize the chance that someone feels they've been misled or bilked.
          Maybe the cert is a good idea. On the one hand it would force HS to look at their plugins, on the other hand, it would probably be just one more thing that they have to put on the back burner so they can bring us exciting new software to buy. Its not a bad idea--I would just favor ideas that don't use more of their time.

Personally I would rather they focus their time on coding new software and let the community rate the plugins.

Since this thread is about the updater, I would mention my biggest pet peeve with it. The upgrade dance that is required to upgrade some plugins.

1. from homeseer start updater
          2. next, next, next
          3. select plugin to update
          4. next, wait, finish
          5. shutdown homeseer
          6. startup homeseer
          7. wait for plugin installer to start
          8. shutdown homeseer
          9. continue with plugin installer
          10. find hidden dialog about starting plugin with homeseer behind main plugin installer window, click OK
          11. click finish on plugin installer
          12. start homeseer

Am I the only one that finds this to be shall we say--inefficient?

I'm hoping that a revamp is in store for HS3.

Here is what I would like to see:

1. Get notified of updates
          2. shutdown homeseer
          3. start the updater (a separate program or site)
          4. select plugins to update and click update
          5. get some coffee
          6. click finish, at which point homeseer starts

I am happy that they have the updater in the first place, and that it will actually tell you which things you need to update. Its not horrible. I simply do not like starting and stopping HS so much.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
            Personally I would rather they focus their time on coding new software and let the community rate the plugins.
            I agree. Something like Amazon would be very helpful.

It also seems to me that the 30 day free trial is an excellent way to find out just how well a plug-in works and how useful it is for each user's specific needs. I think HST could get significantly more benefit from that policy by emphasizing it more and making it very clear that the expectation is that a user will download a new plug-in and try it before deciding whether or not to buy it.

I am happy that they have the updater in the first place, and that it will actually tell you which things you need to update. Its not horrible. I simply do not like starting and stopping HS so much.
            Originally it was a bit easier, but there were complaints about difficulty removing unwanted plug-ins. The introduction of the installer is a good step, but it doesn't integrate well yet. I suspect you are correct that HS3 will work more smoothly with it.

On the other hand, I've also discovered that the presence of a new version of a plug-in in the updater is not sufficient reason to install it. One way to reduce the disruption caused by the update process is simply to do it less often. I try to limit plug-in updates to those that either fix a bug that is bothering me or that adds a new feature that I definitely want to use. Of course, that requires that the author explain how the updated version differs from the previous version, but that's a different thread topic.

Comment

I agree. Something like Amazon would be very helpful.

It also seems to me that the 30 day free trial is an excellent way to find out just how well a plug-in works and how useful it is for each user's specific needs.
              Yes I forgot to comment on this--I think that is a great idea.

On the other hand, I've also discovered that the presence of a new version of a plug-in in the updater is not sufficient reason to install it. One way to reduce the disruption caused by the update process is simply to do it less often. I try to limit plug-in updates to those that either fix a bug that is bothering me or that adds a new feature that I definitely want to use. Of course, that requires that the author explain how the updated version differs from the previous version, but that's a different thread topic.
              Yes, I also try to not upgrade unless problems are occurring or a significant feature is added. Now that you mention release notes, they should be easy to find, perhaps close to the reviews we mentioned.

As it is now, the notes in the updater are clunky, and for the most part not relevant to whatever the current version is.

Comment

Working...
              X