Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Dimmer Switch

Hi

I have a UK double pattress box sized triple dimmer in my lounge. I have a dimmable 21W CFL on each of the 3 manual dimmer controls. The dimmer control has a neutral connection available. I'd like to convert all the lights to be controllable by X10. I need to be able to dim each light individually locally at the switch. I'd like to be able to power each light on and off via Homeseer, I'm not too bothered about being able to dim via X10 but this would be handy. I'd like the finished system to be neat, I don't want a double switch and a single switch side by side. What a list of requirements!!

I could solve this problem by using parts on the UK LetsAutomate website. I could fit a triple faceplate (p/n 11473 K3633) and fit 3 momentary switches (p/n 11488 K4885). I could then feed the the lights with 3 Marmitek LWM1 dimmer modules, connecting each module with a local momentary switch to manually control the light. However the Marmitek modules I have found do not require a neutral wire, which means I can't use CFLs for their dimmer modules. I have found this website that offers a dimmer module with a neutral connection. However I think that the module will only dim via X10, not via local switches when I look at the manual.

I'd sooner use X10 if I can as it is very reliable, do you know of another way I can achieve a triple dimmer with dimmable CFLs?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bert.Twildge; January 28, 2011, 08:21 AM.

I'm not one for saying impossible, but I think your going to struggle - even the X10^2 module on the website if its anything like the DIN rail modules I have then as you've suggested it does not accept an external dim commands, its probably toggle off/on and will turn on to the last dim level.

I'm not sure what models are even available internationally, X10 or otherwise that accept an external dimmer input...perhaps someone else has some ideas.

I think also where you might find a problem is with the wattage, most X10 modules seem to want a minimum wattage of 60W - the LWM1 appears no exception (although some of the X10^2 modules appear fine with any wattage, i'm running some at 40W without an issue) to thats another thing to consider.

Comment

Hi

I think you might be right about the fact I might struggle!

The LWM1, according to the manual, will take momentary switches to allow local dimming, though I don't currently own any of this type of module to check myself. I think I could use the LWM1 module if my lighting provided a neutral path to function but my CFLs will stop that option. If only they made an LWM1 with a neutral connection!

It is a shame that the Automation At Home modules do not allow local dimming, that would be a great help. I have both Automation At Home and Marmitek appliance modules around the house which work fine for on/off but this is the only location where dimming is required.

I've read about some light modules being very upset about too low a current draw. I assume this is due to the balance of the dimmer circuit and so I might have an issue too there, as you pointed out.

I might have to use an alternative solution. Instead of remote dimming in the lounge I could just put my sunglasses on

Thanks

Comment

Hi

I do exactly what you are trying to achieve by using the toggle switches and LM din rail modules. I am not switching CFL only 12v halogens but these all dim. The tranformers are the dimable versions but I believe you dont need dimable transformers with the modules
        Mine all run back to a cabinet under the stairs where all my din rail modules are kept but you could just put the module in the ceiling above your light
        I normally get all my stuff from letsautomate in the UK

Cheers
        Ken

Comment

Working...
        X