Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How do I replicate network info from a z-stick II to a z-troller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! How do I replicate network info from a z-stick II to a z-troller?

I have a HSPro setup that currently uses a Aeon Labs z-stick II controller. In the hopes of improving reliability of some of my zwave nodes that are far from the controller I want to set up a second controller in my house on a different floor. I've purchased a z-troller for this purpose which I intend to hook directly to the homeseer computer where the z-stick II is now, and then move the z-stick II to a lower floor (using a USB over ethernet device).

I've got the ztroller hooked up and I configured it as an additional controller on the interfaces setup page. I have no idea what to do next. None of the replicate commands do anything. I searched the forums and found mention of a button on the manage z-wave controller pages to backup network info, but no such option appears.

How do I get the network info to the ztroller? How do I then make it the primary controller? What else do I need to know to make a two controller setup work?

I posted this to the ztroller forum already but got no responses. So I'm posting my questions here in the hopes someone will see and be able to answer them.

In order to use remote Z-Wave interfaces both interfaces need to be Z-Wave installer libraries. As of this posting, only our Z-Troller and the Wayne Dalton USB stick support the installer library.

We have been working with Aeon Labs to get an installer version for the Z-Stick but it is not working yet.

I will update our product pages so this is more clear.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      In order to use remote Z-Wave interfaces both interfaces need to be Z-Wave installer libraries. As of this posting, only our Z-Troller and the Wayne Dalton USB stick support the installer library.

We have been working with Aeon Labs to get an installer version for the Z-Stick but it is not working yet.

I will update our product pages so this is more clear.
      I would add nodes in between in order to get better signalling. Unless you are over the 250 device limit-- I don't see any advantage to two networks.
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

What USB <> Ethernet device are you using?

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
        move the z-stick II to a lower floor (using a USB over ethernet device).
        Hi Thrag,

just curious on what you are planning to use for your USB to Ethernet? I tried out Arkview but it wasn't stable and it wouldn't auto-reconnect so I started this thread (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146043) but only recommendation I received was to go Ethernet to Serial. Yesterday I decided to buy this (http://www.amazon.com/MYUTN-50-USB-D.../dp/B001GQH7VW) from SEH after watching some of their videos.

Could you share with me what you are using and what your experience so far has been.

Thanks

Dirk

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

What I'm getting from this is that at this current time it is not possible to have both ztroller and zstick interfaces working simultaneously. Is there any ETA on the zstick being supported?

So it sounds like what I need to do for now is just switch over to the ztroller (using the delete/add each node and then update homeseer with the new device IDs procedure in the manual). Then later on if the z-stick II gets supported I can go with my original plan of setting that up as a second interface on another floor of the house, if the better range of the ztroller by itself hasn't solve my minor reliability issues.

Since I'm writing are there any additional tips or things to consider before going through with the ztroller and doing a delete then add on all my devices? Does anything special need to be done devices with children like motion sensors and door/window sensors or does everything just work once the new ID is assigned to the root device?

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
            just curious on what you are planning to use for your USB to Ethernet?
            I found a ~$50 one port USB device made by SIIG. I can't tell you how well it works since I haven't actually put it to use, and it sounds like I won't be able to put it to it's intended use just yet. I have installed and set up the device which was smooth and easy, I just haven't had the opportunity to hook anything up to it yet.

Comment

Just to clarify, remote interfaces use the same network, it just another point for sending and receiving, so the total device limit is still 253 regardless of how many remote interfaces you add.

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
              I would add nodes in between in order to get better signalling. Unless you are over the 250 device limit-- I don't see any advantage to two networks.

Comment

I experimented with many USB to Ethernet adapters and the main problem is the missing auto connect feature. The best one I have found is the belkin:

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

I have it at home with a MIMO USB screen connected to it and it always stays connected. I have not tried it with a ZStick, but it should work with any USB device. It looks like it may be discontinued though, which is odd since it was new last fall.

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                Hi Thrag,

just curious on what you are planning to use for your USB to Ethernet? I tried out Arkview but it wasn't stable and it wouldn't auto-reconnect so I started this thread (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146043) but only recommendation I received was to go Ethernet to Serial. Yesterday I decided to buy this (http://www.amazon.com/MYUTN-50-USB-D.../dp/B001GQH7VW) from SEH after watching some of their videos.

Could you share with me what you are using and what your experience so far has been.

Thanks

Dirk

Comment

I do not have a time for when the ZStick will support the installer lib, but I will post something when I do.

Thanks for the responses.

What I'm getting from this is that at this current time it is not possible to have both ztroller and zstick interfaces working simultaneously. Is there any ETA on the zstick being supported?

So it sounds like what I need to do for now is just switch over to the ztroller (using the delete/add each node and then update homeseer with the new device IDs procedure in the manual). Then later on if the z-stick II gets supported I can go with my original plan of setting that up as a second interface on another floor of the house, if the better range of the ztroller by itself hasn't solve my minor reliability issues.

Since I'm writing are there any additional tips or things to consider before going through with the ztroller and doing a delete then add on all my devices? Does anything special need to be done devices with children like motion sensors and door/window sensors or does everything just work once the new ID is assigned to the root device?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    I do not have a time for when the ZStick will support the installer lib, but I will post something when I do.
                    I'll be on the lookout for it. Even if the ztroller solves my problems on it's own I figure it can't hurt to have a second interface on a different floor.

It's been almost a year since I started my home automation retrofit. Before sitting down just now to check the boards I replaced the very last light switch in my house. There were almost 70 wall switches and companion switches to wire up. I've just fully completed one of my automation goals, complete control of lighting.

Now I'm going to spend the next hour going around deleting and adding each one to the ztroller, well, once I print our a list of them all and decide what's the best order to add them in so that I have low numbered nodes spread around the house. After that I'm going to run around from room to room with the one 2gig thermostat I purchased to test out to see if it can communicate with the controller in all the places I currently have a zone thermostat so I can hopefully cross off my list getting all my thermostats on the system.

Comment

When rebuilding your network you really need to delete EVERY node first (you can use the Z-Troller to do this). If you don't, when you add nodes it will find existing nodes that will be deleted later. Since the Z-Troller has a different home ID you are probably OK, but just to be safe I would delete all the nodes first then add them, starting at the nodes closest to the Z-Troller. Routing starts at low # nodes.

I'll be on the lookout for it. Even if the ztroller solves my problems on it's own I figure it can't hurt to have a second interface on a different floor.

It's been almost a year since I started my home automation retrofit. Before sitting down just now to check the boards I replaced the very last light switch in my house. There were almost 70 wall switches and companion switches to wire up. I've just fully completed one of my automation goals, complete control of lighting.

Now I'm going to spend the next hour going around deleting and adding each one to the ztroller, well, once I print our a list of them all and decide what's the best order to add them in so that I have low numbered nodes spread around the house. After that I'm going to run around from room to room with the one 2gig thermostat I purchased to test out to see if it can communicate with the controller in all the places I currently have a zone thermostat so I can hopefully cross off my list getting all my thermostats on the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X