Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TrickleStar 300ZW-US-W Z-Wave USB Stick (A How-To)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TrickleStar 300ZW-US-W Z-Wave USB Stick (A How-To)

Well so it's a serious #$*&$% but it works with HS just great but heres what you need to know.

This is NOT a usb device, It's a serial device. You plug it into a usb port and instal drivers but there are no TrickleStar 300SW-US-W drivers. The drivers are for a "Prolific" Usb to serial converter. The 300sw is two seperate devices. First a data converter that needs driver. Then a Z-Wave that does not need drivers.

Confused? you should be. There are no instruction anywhere on the web besides the ones that follow.

To use the 300sw

-Instal HS
    -Plug the USB stick into your computer

-Go to the "prolific" web site
    [...]
    Download and install PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v130.zip, it's the third on the list.

you have now installed the data converter but you don't know what the computer has desired to call it. When a computer uses "Serial data" it creats a "Com #" port but you don't know what # it is yet. YOU MUST IDENTIFY THE COM PORT.

-Figure out what com port the usb made. This can vary depending on your version of windows so I'm going to throw out some word and you may have to Google them.
    +Go to "Control Panel"
    +Go to Hardware
    +Go to "Device Manager
    *Scroll down the list until you see ""Ports (COM & LPT) and click on it to expand the tree. You will see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm port (COM#) Write down the # that com.

-OK now we go even faster! Run HS and open the website control thingy.
    +Go to setup
    +Go to Interface
    +Go the the drop down menu "Built-In Interfaces" "Z-Wave Interface"
    +clicky on COM Port and wait for it to auto update
    +type in the # you wrote down

-CLICK SAVE

your done.
    Last edited by ; February 5, 2011, 06:46 PM. Reason: cause I was pissed when I wrote it the first time and didn't think I could post anything. My last post was (Pending approval) for the last week and I have a feeling it will never be approved so...

Can we sticky this post. You can not find this info anywhere else on all the interwebs. That even Includes the costumer support from the manufacturer

Comment

How are you getting the devices from the z-wave stick to Homeseer to use in events/etc?

Comment

Ok after the above steps you can treat this stick the same as say the Aaon stick. So you help is readily available. I think, let me know if I'm wrong about that XD

But to sum it up in a few easy steps.

In the web control website

-Setup
        -Interfaces
        +Built-In Interfaces
        *Your Com Port - Status
        >Manage (This will be a green Button)

-Controller Functions
        +Add Device (This will be a blue Button)

Once you click Add Device a small window will pop up and say "Press button on device or unit..." At this time preform the actions listed in the instructions of what every you are trying to add/control. Typically this will mean pressing the only button or turning the switch on.

The rest is automatic, you will see a message saying something was found/added and after that you will find a new device on all the lists.

Comment

new to zwave

okay, I'm feeling pretty dumb here...

I bought a tricklestar usb stick, because it was cheap and it was listed in the homeseer interface list!

so, I got homeseer to see it. I even got it to switch from primary controller (which it came up as) to a secondary controller, because I already had a primary (the ha07).

BUT...I can't get the devices to copy to homeseer!!! I've tried replicate receive and all that stuff, but nothing...

what am I doing wrong or what am I missing?

Thanks for any help! please?

Comment

Followed these instructions to add the Tricklestar 300ZW and the green manage button never appears under built-in interfaces. Upon startup of Homeseer, the log shows recognition of the Zwave device and searching for nodes, but I can never manage the device in order to add nodes to the network.

Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
            X