Schlage Deadbolt Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage Deadbolt Automation

Does anyone who has the Schlage deadbolt installed have it automated in any way? How does it work within Homeseer? For example, I know you have to turn the deadbolt manually, so can you actually send an unlock command from Homeseer? If so, is there a brief window of time that occurs that someone can then turn the deadbolt in?

I just can't conceptualize how this process works. If anyone is doing something with this lock, let me know, even if it's status updates.

When I get home when it is dark after I enter my code my mud room and dining room lights come on.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
      Does anyone who has the Schlage deadbolt installed have it automated in any way? How does it work within Homeseer? For example, I know you have to turn the deadbolt manually, so can you actually send an unlock command from Homeseer? If so, is there a brief window of time that occurs that someone can then turn the deadbolt in?

I just can't conceptualize how this process works. If anyone is doing something with this lock, let me know, even if it's status updates.
      1. We have someone visit every so often to check on things. HS sends SMS msg each time code is used, which is both entry and upon locking. There may be 4 or 5 per trip if they check mail or something like that.
      2. At a certain time of day, if the door is not locked, it will alert via SMS.
      3. If I need to allow someone in, HSTouch will help me unlock the door remotely, and I can tell them to turn the knob and go in.
      4. If I want the house to play big brother, it can track which user code (person) has entered their code. This does not work very well unless you use an unused code to unlock and relock the door between each person's unlocking sequence. This is not easy to code, and honestly wasn't worth the effort as it was completely unreliable. Ended up disabling it. I may turn it on if I know I'll be gone for a while and can rely upon the same code being used to unlock the door and relate each lock/unlock to be the same person.

I know that sounded complicated, and well, it's a side effect of how the lock doesn't report a new code if the same user does something. You would have to track the last used code to know who unlocked the door the next time. This forces tracking stuff with virtual devices and startup/shutdown sequences, and as soon as you take down HS for a few minutes and someone leaves or unlocks and relocks the door, you're out of sync..

In short, that was a learning opportunity. I learned I can't use it for tracking who's home and who's not.
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I noticed that sometimes when the door is relocked from the inside it will not update HS, but if you try to update it to locked status in HS and the door is NOT locked, the update will not take. Using this logic I wrote an event to watch for an unlock event, when the door is unlocked it sets a delayed event to set the status to locked in 8 minutes. Then I have another event that sends me an SMS if the door sits at unlocked status for more than 15 minutes. The other event that I have running against my doors is one that I stole from this forum, it is essentially a script that takes the number of unlock code that is used and send me a message with who is assigned to that code so I know who unlocked the door and when.

Comment

When my Wife's code is entered, after 30 seconds, Homeseer will set the lock for UNLOCKED. This way she doesn't have to KEEP entering her code to go get groceries or kids from the car.

For mine, the mudroom lights just go on (after a certain hour).

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
            3. If I need to allow someone in, HSTouch will help me unlock the door remotely, and I can tell them to turn the knob and go in.
            So this is the use case I'm specifically interested in - Can you give some details on how the unlock process works for Homeseer, (specifically for the deadbolt, not the lever lock).

In other words if your trigger 'unlock' does Homeseer control the duration of the period of 'unlock' or is it fixed? If it's a fixed duration, how long is it. If it's controlled by Homeseer, what is that process like?

I can follow the status processing outlined by most people in this post. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
              When my Wife's code is entered, after 30 seconds, Homeseer will set the lock for UNLOCKED. This way she doesn't have to KEEP entering her code to go get groceries or kids from the car.

For mine, the mudroom lights just go on (after a certain hour).

--Dan
              Are you talking about the deadbolt in this case? I can see how this would work for the lever lock, but not the deadbolt.

Comment

Hey Huggy, I was doing the same thing you did in #4 for a while and had the same problems.

I was able to fix it by setting up the event this way:

Set for Device Value Change

Device:
                Door Lock User Code

Has Been:
                User code # Entered for exactly 1 second

This makes user tracking completely reliable.

Comment

Sorry, you are right, lever lock.

For the dead bolt, at night, when it is turned unlock, certain lights come on to allow guests to get to their vehicles.

Then the lights go back off after 10 minutes.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

So this is the use case I'm specifically interested in - Can you give some details on how the unlock process works for Homeseer, (specifically for the deadbolt, not the lever lock).

In other words if your trigger 'unlock' does Homeseer control the duration of the period of 'unlock' or is it fixed? If it's a fixed duration, how long is it. If it's controlled by Homeseer, what is that process like?

I can follow the status processing outlined by most people in this post. Thanks for the replies.
                    Homeseer simply issues the command. The duration is the same whether it's z-wave initiated or via local code entry. I believe it is 5 seconds. The big difference is in the lag from command via HSTouch/HS/Zwave/Lock/Unlock.

With local keypad entry, it's within 1/2 second and the deadbolt knock clutch engages. Via HSTouch, it delays around 3-5 seconds depending on your network connection. Via cell phone (3G) it may be slightly longer of a delay, and on a really bad connection it may be 10 seconds max. For an emergency remote entry, 10 seconds is much better than making them go find and retrieve your house key hidden in a combo-lock keybox ....

I believe control via web page is slightly faster than via HSTouch. However, with a smartphone, HSTouch is much much better than the web page.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the less than clear explanation of the user code stuff.

Thanks to the other poster for submitting a solution for the issue I had observed!
                    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Thanks, that clears things up a lot.

That makes the timing issue very tricky, 5 seconds is probably max my wife would stand in front of the door waiting on Homeseer. LOL.

Comment

Thanks, that clears things up a lot.

That makes the timing issue very tricky, 5 seconds is probably max my wife would stand in front of the door waiting on Homeseer. LOL.
                        If you have HS control of a light at the entry, you could turn it on when the deadbolt is available for opening. When the lock reports it's unlocked, you could turn on the light. If you have X-10 control, that _might_ be too slow though.

Yes, 5 seconds is a while but when you say, hey, the keyholder is over in the shed and the combination is.... Or, you could wait a few more seconds and it will allow you to go right on in.

We just use the keypad to get into the house.
                        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

This is the automation I have set up for the Schlage deadbolt lock.

I have a motion sensor in our carport. When motion is detected and it's nighttime, I turn on the carport lights and entry lights. When the lock is unlocked, I look at the user code. If it's a cleaning / maintenance person, I start the inside cameras. If it's one of the family, I set a virtual device indicating the home is "occupied," so activate the thermostats, lighting commands, and deactivate inside security sensors. I also get a SMS with the user who unlocked the door.

Way cool - when it works. The weak link is the door lock, which I'm working hard to fix.

Comment

Working...
                          X