Getting Serious about Motion Detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Serious about Motion Detectors

What is the most stable/reliable way to add motion detectors to homeseer. I have tried the HSM-100, the Haawkeyes, and the X10 pro motion detectors. Surely these cannot be the only options? I need something robust and reliable.

My X10 motion sensors and HSM100's are as reliable as any motion sensor I've ever owned. If you want the best you need to go to wired sensors. What are your issues? Are your HSM100's not working?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'd agree with Rupp, I love my HSM-100s they are very effective in dectecting motion, even in the middle of the night with no to very min light levels, that work well.

Comment

It would definitely help if you could describe the performance / behavior you expect from a motion sensor, but that you do not observe with the ones you've tried. I have both hard wired and X10 RF sensors and I actually prefer the hawkeyes. Not only are they inexpensive enough that I can distribute them freely to provide redundant coverage, but they are quite responsive and easy on their batteries.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

additional info

So heres the problems that I have had
          HSM-100 works well INDOORS, and ideally hard-wired. Babysitting batteries is not something I want to do. Outdoors here in the Sub-Tropics, my HSM-100's eventually fail, even when super duper sealed. The salt in the air corrodes badly.. The X10 motion detectors lack range. Hard-wiring is definitely an option, but hard wired to what? If I know that answer, then I suppose I could use any motion sensor out there.
          Last edited by fdarden; March 7, 2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I'm very happy with the Hawkeye/ActiveEye X10 detectors both inside and out. Batteries last a long time even in high-traffic areas.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by fdarden View Post
              So heres the problems that I have had
              HSM-100 works well INDOORS, and ideally hard-wired. Babysitting batteries is not something I want to do. Outdoors here in the Sub-Tropics, my HSM-100's eventually fail, even when super duper sealed. The salt in the air corrodes badly.. The X10 motion detectors lack range. Hard-wiring is definitely an option, but hard wired to what? If I know that answer, then I suppose I could use any motion sensor out there.
              My motions / occupancy sensors hardwire to my ELK panel - communicate with Homeseer via Ethernet / M1G Plugin. The performance is excellent.

Comment

Outdoors here in the Sub-Tropics, ...
                You are going to be hard pressed to find any notion sensor that is salt water proof but the cost of the X10 sensors makes them idea for this scenario. I have one X10 motion sensor that has been on my porch for 11 years and it still works perfectly and it's the white ones that aren't even water proofed. It's now really yellow and brittle but it still works great. I have to change the batteries on my exterior detectors about every 12 months. I just changed one in the house that the batteries were last changed almost 3 years ago.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  You are going to be hard pressed to find any notion sensor that is salt water proof but the cost of the X10 sensors makes them idea for this scenario. I have one X10 motion sensor that has been on my porch for 11 years and it still works perfectly and it's the white ones that aren't even water proofed. It's now really yellow and brittle but it still works great. I have to change the batteries on my exterior detectors about every 12 months. I just changed one in the house that the batteries were last changed almost 3 years ago.
                  I agree (almost) completely. Although I have very little experience with heat and humidity (here, it's the cold and wet that is the major problem), the X10 motion sensors seem to be ideal. Their low cost makes replacing a malfunctioning device nearly painless - although that is actually a rare event in my experience.

My only disagreement is that I get much longer life from my batteries. Both indoor and outdoor locations get 3-5 years on a fresh pair of alkaline batteries - even outside through 4 winters, in temperatures near 0 F. In fact, the lifetime of batteries is so long I have stopped tracking when I change them, I just monitor each device to be sure it is still responding to day/night or motion regularly. But, I know I have an MS14A that I installed near the garage door when we moved in 2005 that just got new batteries last fall.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

After serious thought and mental debate

I just had a no duh moment. Im in the process of installing security cameras, they detect motion, and should be able to send alarms to homeseer. I think I may have solved my own problem. I'll be using Geovision to collect the video from the cameras initially. I agree the Hawkeyes are cheap enough to replace every few years, but its not worth the hassle of dealing with them all , and having a for sure reliable always on not constantly having to mess with it solution is what I am after. I have a boat that provides that sort of entertainment for me! If they made Hawkeyes for boats they would probably be 500 bucks each..

Comment

Would have to agree that the ActiveEye, EagleEye, and HawkEye are the best way to go. As others , I have had batterys last 3.5 to 4 years. And you can't beat the cost.

Comment

Sorry but

In my world, things that I depend on cannot use batteries. I dont want to find out the hard way that my hawk-eyes batteries need replacing. Running a home automation system that is dependent on batteries makes no sense to me. I actually have taken an old CCTV power supply, and wired my house up with it to provide constant 12VDC to battery powered and wall wart powered devices. Maybe I can hard wire the hawk eyes with 12V DC, but then there is still the issue of the motion detectors at the end of the driveway who's X10 signal cant make it back to the house. I bet a Z-Wave radio COULD make the distance, however short of the HSM-100 (which is inappropriate for outdoor use) there are not many (if any) choices. Clearly an opportunity for a Z-wave manufacturer. I would LOVE to see higher quality weatherproof devices and would pay extra for this.

Comment

In my world, things that I depend on cannot use batteries. I dont want to find out the hard way that my hawk-eyes batteries need replacing.
                          I agree. I hate replacing batteries. Unfortunately, in my world, perfection is elusive. I've found that sometimes it is necessary to accept a limitation in one area (batteries) in exchange for capability in another (cost, flexibility).

I also tried motion detection on my IP cameras, but was not pleased with the false triggers caused by changes in lighting intensity. Plus, they are relatively expensive, can be unsightly, and siting them effectively is a fussy task.

As for determining when a motion sensor needs batteries, there are two strategies that work pretty well. One is to replace them on a regular schedule chosen to assure that the batteries will still be active when replaced. The other is to monitor the sensors (their light/dark sensor is excellent for the purpose) so you know quickly when the batteries have died. If you combine the second with redundant coverage so that one dead motion sensor is not a critical problem, you can reduce battery changes to a very infrequent casual maintenance problem.

Comment

I try to stick with battery operated devices that report the battery state, then set an event to notify me when the batteries are gettig low. The HS Motion Sensor is a good example, and the Oregon Scientific temperature sensors with RFXCom.
                            Mike

Comment

... Maybe I can hard wire the hawk eyes with 12V DC ...
                              The Hawkeyes will need 3vDC so you'll at least need a small voltage regulator at each unit.

At the point you are running wires to your devices why not just use hard-wired motion sensors and a digital I/O board (Weeder, etc)?

... but then there is still the issue of the motion detectors at the end of the driveway who's X10 signal cant make it back to the house.
                              How far away is the end of your driveway? I use a W800RF & a custom antenna and reliably receive devices over 200 feet out.
                              Best regards,
                              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                              X