IPAD Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPAD Storage

I realize the answer depends on what it will be eventually used for but would like some info from people that have had an IPAD for a while.

What storage size would you get if you were going to get a new one.

In my case I am looking at running the HS client, email along with some apps and maybe using it as a short time laptop replacement on vacations.

May or may not put some music and video's on it.

Thanks...Sonny

I would always suggest to get the largest size you can afford/justify. Why hate yourself later for having too small a device when you could have coughed up $100 more during the initial purchase.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by buvens View Post
      I realize the answer depends on what it will be eventually used for but would like some info from people that have had an IPAD for a while.

What storage size would you get if you were going to get a new one.

In my case I am looking at running the HS client, email along with some apps and maybe using it as a short time laptop replacement on vacations.

May or may not put some music and video's on it.

Thanks...Sonny
      With the recent announcement of the iPad 2, it should be easy to find a great deal on an iPad. If you are wanting 3G and storing video or loads of music and images, you might think the 64GB model would be right for you.

If you waited this long to look around, are you looking at the old or new iPads?
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
        With the recent announcement of the iPad 2, it should be easy to find a great deal on an iPad. If you are wanting 3G and storing video or loads of music and images, you might think the 64GB model would be right for you.

If you waited this long to look around, are you looking at the old or new iPads?
        As I tend to use things for quite a while, the new one is probably what I'll get. Also the 64GB would probably be the best for the same reason.

Grand daughter uses one in school with her school books installed and it is neat.

Comment

I had a 64GB and sold it. Not planning on getting one that large.

As for HomeSeer integration, if that is all you're after, then a 16GB is perfectly fine.

Ultimately, the deciding factor is how much movies you plan on storing. Movies are the largest in size. Other than that, everything is quite small - music included.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

i have all threee and tend to use the lesser of three i hardlyever go that high in storage due to the nature of my system and how things are setup

I am sold the 64gb last month and still got a good amount for it. I picked up a xoom tablet this week since i work for verizon and it was decent deal.

Ill be trying that out now.

Comment

Running ipod touches as hstouch clients, 8gig is way more than enought.

I have the 32gig iphone and I just don't use it the way that most people use the iphone for movies and music. I stream almost everything with ipeng or streamtome, netflix, and a few others... meaning that I don't store media local except the pictures I take with the internal camera etc...

I'm planning on buying the ipad2 and I'm going to get the smallest avail for now.. If I change my methods and need more, the resale value is pretty good on ipads I'd sell it and buy the bigger one. However I doubt that'll happen unless games start to be 4 gigs each like PC games.
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Have you considered an Android tablet instead. You don't need to worry about which size -- Just put in whatever sd card size you want. Cheaper as well. I'm not Apple bashing by this comment. They are fine products. Maybe there is something you really like about the iPad.
                - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                Web Site
                YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                  Have you considered an Android tablet instead. You don't need to worry about which size -- Just put in whatever sd card size you want. Cheaper as well. I'm not Apple bashing by this comment. They are fine products. Maybe there is something you really like about the iPad.
                  Yes, I have thought of the Androids, They are nice and getting nicer and even the Windows tablet will be nice I am sure.
                  Actually had one of the 13" HP convertibles and really like the size and weight but unfortunately it was one of them with the bad Nvidia chip and unfortunately I took it apart to see if it was a loose connection so it would now cost more to get fixed than it is worth. At least I am guessing that is the case.
                  As far as usage, my 3GS IPhone is a 32 gig model and other than pictures and songs, it still has about 23 gig left on it. It runs My WI so it can be used if needed when away from normal wifi with my laptop.
                  Lot of things to think about.
                  My wifes Nook is a nice size to carry but then again the larger size is easier on the old eyes...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. At least it is not something that has to be purchased right away.

Comment

Working...
                  X