homebrew heating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homebrew heating?

Hi, I'm looking for help in the uk, my home hot water and central heating is currently controlled by a siemens programmer.

can i just rip this off the wall and wire in a couple of x10 appliance switches and control it through the pc via homeseer?

should i leave the existing standard dial type thermostat on the wall to work with it? or is there a cheap way of having room temperature control too?

Ive been running x10 lamp modules, a hawkeye and an appliance module linked to my sprinkler solenoid to do a few jobs for the past 12 months and i need more.

thanks for your help, as being in the uk we are behind the drag curve on the automation side of things, plus less products available.

I'd recommend talking to a guy on the board who goes by cadillackid - in my estimation he's brilliant when it comes to automation and heating/cooling systems.

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Theres an article somewhere on automated home about automating central heating systems that might be worth a look...don't have a link to hand at the moment though it was a few years ago.

On a personal note I have a system thats probably closest to a simple two pipe gravity system as opposed to one of the Sundial plans (http://www.home-heating-systems-and-...ign.html#cplan), I had a 'programmer' before and all it did was basically act as a seven day timer and when it wanted heat it powered the CH water pump and the gas valve on the boiler at the same time.

To control it via HS all I did was take the timer off the wall and attach a plug to the pump and valve, plug this into an appliance module and then the central heating runs off X10. Then in HS I have multiple temperature sensors coming in and then control it like a thermostat only via HS.

You might be able to fashion some form of controller based on a couple of appliance modules for CH/HW control - I think even thinking about it its been posted about before so try a search see if its on here somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Theres an article somewhere on automated home about automating central heating systems that might be worth a look...don't have a link to hand at the moment though it was a few years ago.

On a personal note I have a system thats probably closest to a simple two pipe gravity system as opposed to one of the Sundial plans (http://www.home-heating-systems-and-...ign.html#cplan), I had a 'programmer' before and all it did was basically act as a seven day timer and when it wanted heat it powered the CH water pump and the gas valve on the boiler at the same time.

To control it via HS all I did was take the timer off the wall and attach a plug to the pump and valve, plug this into an appliance module and then the central heating runs off X10. Then in HS I have multiple temperature sensors coming in and then control it like a thermostat only via HS.

You might be able to fashion some form of controller based on a couple of appliance modules for CH/HW control - I think even thinking about it its been posted about before so try a search see if its on here somewhere...
        cheers dude, think ive been through the article on automated home. the plug and appliance module sounds like a go. please can you give me some info on your temperature sensors.. what make and interface with pc?

cheers again, off to search some more!

Comment

Originally posted by mr_a_daily View Post
          Hi, I'm looking for help in the uk, my home hot water and central heating is currently controlled by a siemens programmer.

can i just rip this off the wall and wire in a couple of x10 appliance switches and control it through the pc via homeseer?
          The simple answer is yes. I have done this although I have left the original controller in placed, just switvhed off, as an overide. My modules are connected in parralel with the original controller.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
          X