Z-wave virtual device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave virtual device

I have purchased the Z-wave USB stick and some GE modules and a remote control. I have not yet installed anything so I don't have any experience yet. I am trying to figure out how I can use z-wave in tandem with my current X10 modules. My question is: Is it possible to use a z-wave remote to change the status of a Homeseer virtual device? The remote can control up to 18 devices but I will only have 4 or 5. Can I use the empty buttons on the remote to send commands to the z-stick and Homeseer?

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Unfortunately not. The only remote that can do something close to the is the new Cooper remote as it can trigger a scene and HomeSeer can react to only scenes.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Rupp,

The GE remote I have can trigger scenes. Can a "z-wave scene" include X10 devices?

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Rupp,

The GE remote I have can trigger scenes. Can a "z-wave scene" include X10 devices?

Steve Q
        No and the GE Remote can't really do scenes they just use that terminology loosely. Only the newest remotes support the scene class correctly.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

I assume I can trigger a Homeseer event based on a status change of a z-wave device. Such an event could easily be a "scene" and include x10 or any other Homeseer device.

So what happens if a z-wave module gets unplugged? Can Homeseer recognize this? Can this trigger an event to speak "Light X did not respond to the ON command"?

Steve Q

Comment

Steve,

Good thought...maybe add the device, program it into the remote as well...then unplug it...or change it's ID so it won't recognize "that" command any longer.

Kind of trick Hs into making a Virtual Z-Wave Device. I can see doing that with an appliance module.

I know how I would do this with UPB...I wonder if it's possible with Z-Wave.

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

You could run over to radio shack and pick up a 10 dollar z-wave dimmer and hide it behind something with nothing plugged into it. Program it into the remote and use it's status in home seer to trigger your scenes, events, whatever.

Comment

Thanks Dan and chewie. I think I will have to spend some time getting to know z-wave with some hands-on work. There are probably many ways to get z-wave and x10 to work together. At this point I am just thinking about the best ways to utilize z-wave. My first task will be to replace the x10 module I have in a plastic bag outside under my deck with an outdoor z-wave module!

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                  Is it possible to use a z-wave remote to change the status of a Homeseer virtual device?
                  Hmmm... with greatest respect to the answers above, I'd swear I did this back when I first setup HS. That is, I had a Z-Wave hand-held remote, and succeeded in getting button(s) on the remote to control the status of HS virtual devices. However, it has been a long time and I don't remember exactly what I did.

It has been a long time because I decided the Z-Wave remote was clumsy and expensive. So, for the button pads around my house, I use the WGL 800 RF receiver and the old "X10" button pads (which aren't really X10 at all).

RF Receivers (bottom of page):

http://store.homeseer.com/store/WGL-C90.aspx

Button pad examples:

http://www.smarthome.com/4001X/X10-H...Control/p.aspx
                  http://www.smarthome.com/4012/X10-KR...-Remote/p.aspx

The pads are dirt cheap, and very fast/reliable (yeah, really not X10!)

To the original question: Control your Z-Wave and X-10 both from the computer, NOT from your remote(s). Then control the computer with cheap 'remotes'.

Comment

Dan,

I'd imagine that the Z-Wave remotes will be faster than the X10 remotes.

For lighting, I agree, plenty of speed. I'm trying to use this to control "stuff" on my TV. So, I really need it to be faster if I can.

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Danal Estes View Post
                      Hmmm... with greatest respect to the answers above, I'd swear I did this back when I first setup HS. That is, I had a Z-Wave hand-held remote, and succeeded in getting button(s) on the remote to control the status of HS virtual devices. However, it has been a long time and I don't remember exactly what I did.

It has been a long time because I decided the Z-Wave remote was clumsy and expensive. So, for the button pads around my house, I use the WGL 800 RF receiver and the old "X10" button pads (which aren't really X10 at all).

RF Receivers (bottom of page):

http://store.homeseer.com/store/WGL-C90.aspx

Button pad examples:

http://www.smarthome.com/4001X/X10-H...Control/p.aspx
                      http://www.smarthome.com/4012/X10-KR...-Remote/p.aspx

The pads are dirt cheap, and very fast/reliable (yeah, really not X10!)

To the original question: Control your Z-Wave and X-10 both from the computer, NOT from your remote(s). Then control the computer with cheap 'remotes'.

Dan, Thanks for this info. I actually have all of these products and I use them all the time. But as you know, it's a pain to have 7 remotes to use in the family room. I was hoping to consolidate 3-4 remotes into 1. So I will probably continue to use my x10 remotes and I will add the z-wave devices to them. I will occasionally however use the GE 45601 remote to directly control certain z-wave modules.

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                      X