Helping new home owner w/ large Insteon system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helping new home owner w/ large Insteon system

The son of a friend purchased a home that come with a large number of Insteon switches (I would guess at least 40-50), an ISY 99i, and Elk security panel and a multi-camera surveillance system. The previous owner gave them a quick lesson with the controller software and left town. That was several months ago. A number of the switches appear to be dead and they haven't been able to find an electrician who will replace them. They asked if I would take a look. I told them that I have no experience with any of this equipment, but would try to help. They would like to get the systems working, but don't want to purchase replacement switches until they know what they are doing.

First, I think the house was built in 2007 or 8 and I believe the systems were installed at that time. I don't have any Insteon switches but remember reading here that there were lots of QC issues and early switches dying. I have suggested that the owners do an inventory of the number of switches installed and the number which need to be replaced (I've suggested replacing dead switches with standard switches so the lights function for now). Before I have them call, I wanted to ask here for advise on how to approach Smarthome in hopes of getting some help in replacing the dead devices. I'll do a search of messages here, but any helpful hints, advice would be greatly appreciated.

From the quick look I had at the ISY 99i, I'm going to suggest that they move to HomeSeer. I will take a look at the plug-in, but would also appreciate any advice or in this area too from Insteon users.

Thanks,
    Barry

I would keep the ISY. It runs reliably as an Insteon controller, doesn't have the computer crashing/rebooting issues you can get with HomeSeer. In fact if they are interested in more automation, install HomeSeer and let it talk to the ISY plugin. They work great together and ISY acts as more reliable failsafe should the HS pc crash.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
      I would keep the ISY. It runs reliably as an Insteon controller, doesn't have the computer crashing/rebooting issues you can get with HomeSeer. In fact if they are interested in more automation, install HomeSeer and let it talk to the ISY plugin. They work great together and ISY acts as more reliable failsafe should the HS pc crash.
      Thanks for the reply. I think the PO had done a lot with the ISY. There were lots of events based on motion (according to the current owners). I want to get everything working at a base level before I introduce HS or anything else. I'm going to try to get familiar with the ISY and Elk software from the on-line manuals.

Still hoping to get some advice on dealing with Smarthome.

Barry

Comment

Follow up

The home owner decided to wait on doing anything until summer. I just had a note saying they had contacted Smarthome, who helped them test the 40 switches. 34 had failed and the remaining 6 were from the same series. Even though the owners didn't have proof of purchase, Smarthome is replacing all the switches.

They are very pleased with Smarthome's customer service.

Barry

Comment

Working...
        X