Looking for advice on thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on thermostat

Hey guys. I'm looking to add a thermostat to my homeseer system. Right now I'm only using X10. My thermostat is in a place where I can run a network cable to it as it shares a wall with my media closet and I've got a switch in there that ties into my network.

I'd like to be able to set up an event that reads an X10 keypad remote for lowering/raising the temperature on the thermostat as well as an on/off for running just the fan.

My main concern is cost. I'm wanting to find the most cost effective solution (ie inexpesive hardware and use a built in plugin for homeseer). Is there something out there that fits the bill?

Well if X10 is working well for you then you could look for one of the older TX15B or TX16B X10 thermostats. I just retired one of mine yesterday as we had a new American Standard unit put in and I already miss it. It worked perfectly for me for the last 7 or 8 years and one of the nice things about X10 was you can use one of the inexpensive x10 palm pad remotes on the same house code as your stat and the 16 buttons will trigger a particular temperature. Really handy to have these around. If you want a Z-Wave stat then the Trane and 2GIG are good stats.
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/HVAC-C38.aspx
    The HAI stats are good if you want to hardwire.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

So I'd need the Z-STICK-S2 - Z-Wave USB Adapter with Firmware Updatability (Aeon Labs) for my computer interface and the Trane Zwave 2GIG thermostat and then I'd be good to go? This would allow control with the stock Homeseer product (ie no addons)? I'd then be able to create events triggered by my wireless x10 remotes to control the thermostat, right?

Thanks!

Comment

I would just read few posts about the 2Gig before you buy them. There are few features that are not working properly with them. If the operation state is not a feature that you care about you should be fine with it. I occasionally I need to reset them because they lose contact with Zwave. I have two of them and I like them but these issues are keeping me to buy more. Blade created a great free plugin that has scripts capabilities, check on the board here for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
          I would just read few posts about the 2Gig before you buy them. There are few features that are not working properly with them. If the operation state is not a feature that you care about you should be fine with it. I occasionally I need to reset them because they lose contact with Zwave. I have two of them and I like them but these issues are keeping me to buy more. Blade created a great free plugin that has scripts capabilities, check on the board here for more details.
          Thank you for this information. This is exactly what I'd like to avoid. I guess a hardwired solution would be better. Can anyone tell me where I might find some hardwired thermostats at a good price?

Comment

For the past 5 years I have been using an really simple approach to control my thermostat. I mounted a NightLight a few inches below the T-stat. The nightlight is controlled by an X10 lamp module. At Night, Homeseer turns the nightlight ON. The heat from the bulb fools the T-stat and makes it think it is warm therefore the furnace will not run. By dimming the bulb, you can achieve any amount of setback you want. This super simple approach is really effective.

To control the furnace fan, I have a X10 Universal Module connected to the fan switch T-stat wires at the furnace controller board. This over-rides the switch on the T-stat.

Yesterday, I installed a Trane z-wave Thermostat (Schlage Link version) and a Homeseer z-Stick (Aeon) controller. It is working very well. It eliminated 3 x10 modules and will also allow me to fully control the Air Conditioning this summer.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I have recently put in 2 of the Trane tstats and they have been great. They seem to act as routing nodes in my z-wave network, but I had to run them with hardwired power. One of them was an easy drop of a C-wire and the other I used a transformer that I wired into it.

So far they seem to be working really well.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                I have recently put in 2 of the Trane tstats and they have been great. They seem to act as routing nodes in my z-wave network, but I had to run them with hardwired power. One of them was an easy drop of a C-wire and the other I used a transformer that I wired into it.

So far they seem to be working really well.
                Why did you have to hardwire the power? Aren't they battery operated?

Comment

No, they are not battery operated. They require 24VAC, which is the normal voltage (in the US) for HVAC equipment. Apparently they will retain their programmed information when there is a power outage, but I have no idea for how long. The 24VAC power can be supplied via the thermostat wire.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Hmm.. I've got power I can steal from my wiring closet which shares a wall with the thermostat. Is the 24VAC normally wired into the unit? I'd rather use it than have to plug in yet another device to the power strip.

Comment

Originally posted by dinki View Post
                      Hmm.. I've got power I can steal from my wiring closet which shares a wall with the thermostat. Is the 24VAC normally wired into the unit? I'd rather use it than have to plug in yet another device to the power strip.
                      On my unit, I couldnt find any 24VAC wired into the unit. I had to purchase a transformer and run it to the tstat - also on an adjacent wall. I suspect units vary...
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by dinki View Post
                        Not sure I understand your question. The installation instructions are here: http://www.part2.schlage.com/docs/Th...ions_ENG_f.pdf

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                          Not sure I understand your question.
                          I'm not surprised; I'm pretty tired

What I was trying to ask is if the 24v is normally available in the wiring bundle but the pdf shows how to hook it up if it isn't. Hopefully this will be easy to find. Not sure where to even look for these terminals though. Is there some access panel or something on the front of the unit for these wires?

Comment

The 24V power source should be available on your furnace controller board. Open the service panel on your furnace and find where the thermostat wires are attached. One of the screw terminals on the board should be labeled "COM". That is the 24V common terminal. Connect a wire from it to the terminal on the z-wave thermostat that is labeled 24C.

The wiring diagram for your furnace should be attached to the inside of the service panel. It will provide additional information.

Steve Q

Comment

I checked my thermostat and I have wires labeled Y,G,RC,W1 . I do not have a wire called C. I opened the unit and couldn't find a terminal strip like shown in the instructions. I did see the wires from the thermostat but they were wirenutted to other wires that went to various places in the panel. I wasn't able to trace where they all went.

Does not having a C wire mean I won't get power when I connect the four wires I am currently using? Will I need to buy a 24VAC transformer?

Comment

Working...
                              X