No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is correct Dinki, the wires you have are the same ones I had. On one of my tstats I used a transformer to power it. Plugged in the transformer, split the cable and connected one to the C terminal and one to Rh (Since you have an RC wire you will want to use Rh as well, they should be connected via a jumper) and on the other one I got into the attic, opened up my unit and found the terminal where the wires go. I just used a piece of 18/4 and cut back all but one of the wires, connected it to the C terminal then fed it down to my tstat.

Working like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
      That is correct Dinki, the wires you have are the same ones I had. On one of my tstats I used a transformer to power it. Plugged in the transformer, split the cable and connected one to the C terminal and one to Rh (Since you have an RC wire you will want to use Rh as well, they should be connected via a jumper) ...
      Thank you for the informative reply. Can you tell me what 24VAC transformer you bought? How much should I expect to pay for one?

To your reply about wiring it, I'm not exactly sure how you did it. How many wires come out of the transformer? I took a look at one online and it seems to have three terminals for connecting to. Are these the same or are they different? I'm thinking you're saying that you connected one of these to C and the other to Rh. I think that my current thermostat has RC and RH jumpered together via a jumper wire. Are you saying that I'll need to do this with the new thermostat? Wouldn't that be like connecting the 24VAC to the wire going to my unit?

Sorry for being so dense; I'm just wanting to be certain of what I'm doing so I don't end up costing myself some money on a service call if I hook things up wrong. It's starting to warm up around here and my wife/kids won't be happy if I break the a/c

Comment

Originally posted by dinki View Post
        Thank you for the informative reply. Can you tell me what 24VAC transformer you bought? How much should I expect to pay for one?
        Here's the one I bought:
        http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SFORMER/1.html

It's around $8 and the shipping will be close to that because it is fairly heavy.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Here's the one I bought:
          http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SFORMER/1.html

It's around $8 and the shipping will be close to that because it is fairly heavy.
          Fantastic. I've bought a lot of things from allelectronics before and I'm sure I'll find some other cool stuff to add to my cart from there as well!

Can you tell me how you wired yours? I'm thinking that they'll be at least two connectors on the wire leaving the transformer. Which do I need to connect to C and what about the other?

Thanks again for the help guys. My thermostat arrived yesterday evening and now I'm getting excited about connecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by dinki View Post
            Fantastic. I've bought a lot of things from allelectronics before and I'm sure I'll find some other cool stuff to add to my cart from there as well!

Can you tell me how you wired yours? I'm thinking that they'll be at least two connectors on the wire leaving the transformer. Which do I need to connect to C and what about the other?

Thanks again for the help guys. My thermostat arrived yesterday evening and now I'm getting excited about connecting it.
            It's hard to say because I am convinced every thermostat is different. I have 2 WDTC-20's and only one had to have the 24vAC transformer - here's a pic with the transformer wires circled:
            Attached Files

Comment

Well I hooked mine up to see what would happen and to no surprise it did not power up.

i guess I don't understand what needs to happen. I was thinking that all I need is to get 24VAC to the C terminal as that appears to be really important as per the instructions. I'm not sure why you guys are having to tie power to the other terminals. Am I wrong in thinking that the C terminal powers the thermostat unit?

Comment

If you are using a transformer then you have to have both wires connected to the stat in order to complete the circuit and have the transformer send power to the stat, connect + to C and - to Rh or vice versa. If you ran a wire from the C terminal on your unit and you have the other wires connected properly then I have no idea what is wrong.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I did not run a wire from the unit and am planning on using a transformer. I'm not using RH now but on my current thermostat I've got RC and RH jumpered. I noticed in the instructions that they talk about having to cut a jumper wire on the board depending on certain conditions. Will I need to cu this jumper wire?

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Hey guys. Just a friendly bump up to see if someone might be able to answer my last question. I wrote the manufacturer asking the same thing and they told me to contact a HVAC local guy to come and wire it. I'd prefer to do this myself but I sure don't want to screw up my unit.

The question again: I have a four conductor wire containing Y,G,RC,W1 . A jumper is installed on my current thermostat from RC to RH. I do not have a wire that I can connect to C. I tried hooking up the thermostat and did not get power. I am purchasing a 24VAC transformer and have been instructed to connect either + or - to C and the other to RH. Do I need to cut the jumper on the board that connects RC and RH?

I'm confident that I will get power connecting things this way, but will I not be connecting something to RC if I do not cut this jumper? I know absolutely nothing about thermostats so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you have a voltmeter, set it to AC and see if you get any power across any combinations of the wires. That may determine *if* you need a jumper and *where* to jumper.

Comment

Just a follow up, I couldn't find a 'c' terminal on my unit. I talked to an ac guy and he told me all the 'c' wire does it use a common ground. I ran a wire to my ac unit and grounded it to a screw and connected the other end to the thermostat. Everything is up and running. Just thought I'd share in case someone else runs into this issue. It was easy for me to run the wire.

Comment

Working...
                        X