Reviving a NetCallerID box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving a NetCallerID box

I have owned a NetCallerID for years. It has been sitting collecting dust for about as long as I've owned it because I didn't have enough serial ports to keep it connected. That changed recently, so I can add it back to my HS/HSP system. However, it's been so long I don't even know how to revive the thing.

I put fresh batteries in it, but it is completely dead--no display life, no lighting of the LED on top (although I'm thinking that is an incoming call or info indicator).

It as a power connector on the back, of course, but I don't recall if it needs that if batteries are present. If so, I will surely have to dig through lots of places to find the power adapter.

I don't know much about RS232 ports. Can it get power from the RS232? I've got it connected to a serial port on a PCI card. If it does derive power from the port, how do I "send" power to it?

Sorry I'm so forgetful about how all this once went on my machine years ago. Any help is appreciated.

I've also been using a NetCallerID for years and have forgotten as much as you have. Mine does not have batteries installed. If I remember correctly they were only used as a back up to hold the database of callers in case of power failure. I'm pretty sure it needs to be plugged in to function.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Marty got it right. The batteries are really intended as backup so that the NetCallerID box doesn't forget the list of callers if the power goes out. For most things you might want to do with Homeseer, this backup is of no value. So, you need a power adapter, but you don't really need the batteries. No chance of it powering from the RS232 - Sorry.

If no one else posts it, I'll try and look at mine and tell you want the power requirements are for the wall wart.

Steve

Comment

Thanks, nightwalker and Steve. I'll begin a hunt for the power adapter. It looks like the back of the box says "DC 6V-7.5V". I'll poke around that box of stuff my wife says I should have thrown out already. I'm guessing there's at least one that will work if I can't find the exact one. If there's any chance of someone snapping a shot of theirs and posting it, I'd appreciate it. If not, I completely understand.

Comment

I almost certainly have something that would work for you, although I'm not sure that helps you much. I've almost never thrown away a wall-wart, so I now I ve something like 50 in four different large drawers in my basement. If you can't solve it any other way, let me know and I'm willing to ship one to you for just the postage (you can probably get away cheaper by buying something at Radio Shack).

Steve

Comment

I have a spare still in the original box. The wall wart is a 6V 50mA AC-DC adaptor; center pin is positive.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the input. I dug out a transformer that looks suspiciously like it might go with the NetCallerID. It's has very generic markings, has the right sized tip, and claims to output 6V with a positive tip. However, it didn't power up the unit. I measured the voltage and it's only 5.4V. Do you suppose it's gone bad just sitting in my garage? Wouldn't I get something on the display (flicker at least) if it's close, but not right on?

I appreciate the offer to send me a new wall wart. However, it makes more sense for me to just buy one by the time I pay shipping, etc. I'll look into it.

Comment

I've not had a NetCID box fail me yet; so yes I would give it a try.

I have to check mine as they are somewhat buried in the Leviton Panel; I've never removed the batteries on the two that I have had running in about 6 years; so more than likely the batteries are now depleted and hopefully still intact.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X