Homeseer/ WHS Server lockup & delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting info Dave. Addicting hobby.

Homeseer's been working fine for me now over 10 years. Funny cuz I play more with the HW and technology rather than use it (which I should).

Yes I also keep repurposing the Pentium D's. A couple of years back purchased a mini Aopen core duo with a microminiature tuner in it to serve as the MediaPC. I am using it today with W7 on it but still utilize the NMTs a bit more. They are smaller and more quiet.

This morning posted a HS topology connections picture on CT. It is here.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...howtopic=18806
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete,

Well last night the x10 rf delay raised its head, the delay was around 9-10mins before the event ran and it did this for about 30 mins then recoeved and went back to instant.

I am going to assume that this is related to the CPU based on the info we got on this board.

Time to save up some pennies and pick up a new cpu/mobo/ram combo!

Raptor
      HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
      https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Raptor,

You got me testing my legacy W800 RF palm pads, small keypads, DS10A's etc last night. Response times were nearly instant with the HS only running Shuttle Atom 510. I currently have two W800's in place. One antenna in the attic (old RS inverted scanner style antenna) and another smaller W800 antenna buried in the wall behind one of the in wall speakers on the main floor of the house.

The devices don't really do anything with X10 as I have no HS X10 PIM online; IE: Insteon PLM only talks Insteon at this time; so the devices are all "virtual" and the events are based on the variables that change on the virtual devices.

The DS10A's are "non essential" to HA in the house; testing a few for this or that. IE: one is just used for the Rainbird rain sensor. The palmpad is used to turn on and off watering zones while I am outside. The small wall keypads are used for specific TTS events/status but non essential to HA. (IE: no security, no IR motion sensors, no lighting, etc).
        Last edited by Pete; March 31, 2011, 09:24 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Raptor,

You got me testing my legacy W800 RF palm pads, small keypads, DS10A's etc last night. Response times were nearly instant with the HS only running Shuttle Atom 510. I currently have two W800's in place. One antenna in the attic (old RS inverted scanner style antenna) and another smaller W800 antenna buried in the wall behind one of the in wall speakers on the main floor of the house.

The devices don't really do anything with X10 as I have no HS X10 PIM online; IE: Insteon PLM only talks Insteon at this time; so the devices are all "virtual" and the events are based on the variables that change on the virtual devices.

The DS10A's are "non essential" to HA in the house; testing a few for this or that. IE: one is just used for the Rainbird rain sensor. The palmpad is used to turn on and off watering zones while I am outside. The small wall keypads are used for specific TTS events/status but non essential to HA. (IE: no security, no IR motion sensors, no lighting, etc).
          Hi,

Inthe same boat, more or less.

I have no Powerline X10 stuff, just using the rf to control homeseer via the slimswitches and ds10s and ms16s.

95% of the time it is instant, but like last night it just locks up.

I am going to move homeseer to a different pc this weekend and see if that makes it more reliable (that pentium D)

Raptor
          53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

well maybe i missed this in your posts... what version of HS are you on?

I too am running WHS....
            but i unlike everyone else.. dont care about how much power my machine uses... I used to have 5 computers on ALL the time.. now they have windows 7 and go to sleep.. freeing up power... so my xeon quad core can take it.. my current xeon is equivelant to a intel q6600. I know WHS has more processes that it does, streaming capabilities, im using CCTV with it so cpu gonna get hit more... so not ATOM cpu for me... just dont think it can handle it...

so my benchmark is 3068 (interesting cuz a q6600 is 2981)
            so for processor im good... 4gb ram too... just see sig...

the reason why i ask about your hs version is it seems there are lockup issues at times that some are reporting (i am one of them as last night my hs freaked out... but running good now...)

in addition to running whs for backups, file share, streaming, cctv.. im also using it as a Active Directory server, dns, dhcp, pxe and im not having any issues with cpu side... mine is that after so many days i loose connectivity to hs and lights dont work...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Dave,

I think you'll see a much more pronounced difference running it on its own box; versus having XP or W7 multitask. In a way its already multitasking just running HS.

Historically I've seen many folks test HS on their personal desktops/laptops at home and after a time switching HS over to an autonomous PC; whatever it may be.

Its really a quick build of a new box; in a step by step fashion; not much more than 2 hours or so.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                well maybe i missed this in your posts... what version of HS are you on?

I too am running WHS....
                but i unlike everyone else.. dont care about how much power my machine uses... I used to have 5 computers on ALL the time.. now they have windows 7 and go to sleep.. freeing up power... so my xeon quad core can take it.. my current xeon is equivelant to a intel q6600. I know WHS has more processes that it does, streaming capabilities, im using CCTV with it so cpu gonna get hit more... so not ATOM cpu for me... just dont think it can handle it...

so my benchmark is 3068 (interesting cuz a q6600 is 2981)
                so for processor im good... 4gb ram too... just see sig...

the reason why i ask about your hs version is it seems there are lockup issues at times that some are reporting (i am one of them as last night my hs freaked out... but running good now...)

in addition to running whs for backups, file share, streaming, cctv.. im also using it as a Active Directory server, dns, dhcp, pxe and im not having any issues with cpu side... mine is that after so many days i loose connectivity to hs and lights dont work...
                Hi i am using 2.5.0.20.

Agree that the atom is a little light, not sure i want to goto full quad tho...

@Pete I'm going to run it on the PC i use for my kitchen touch screen that is a new build only running HSTouch client so its perfect for this test and is running w7 with 4gb ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                  Hi i am using 2.5.0.20.

Agree that the atom is a little light, not sure i want to goto full quad tho...

@Pete I'm going to run it on the PC i use for my kitchen touch screen that is a new build only running HSTouch client so its perfect for this test and is running w7 with 4gb ram.
                  if you see my sig.. i started with 2.4.0.1 then when knowing it ran great.. went to 2.5.0.20 after a few weeks to see if it was working better than all the lower 2.5.0.x that didnt work for me... then i went to .21 as it was there.... all in all.. my house is not ran by HS.. it ran the best I believe on 2.4.0.7something?? .74?? but anyway... it ran great for months.. then my life got busy and i wasnt here for a while and saw the 2.5.x.x and went to it... had it running but never looked at it and it wasnt working.. im starting to slow down and seeing if 2.5 is working any better.. so far after last night it isnt for me... so im going to give till next friday.... if i still have problems and no other betas are out.. im going back to 2.4.0.x.....

but i have to reinstall my hs base os as i played with too many cctv softwares and all the trials are up and has messed with my OS.. uninstalls just broke other stuff.... so may just start from scratch again...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Jeff,

Yes, I would not mix up CCTV software testing with HSPro testing. Doing CCTV is very resource intensive by itself and will most likely affect HS. Maybe doing separate VMs would work better for you. I just added IP camera 13 to the ZM setup and CPU utilization went to 90%. I'm really though trying to break ZM. I'm seeing that adding 5 IP cams to the 8 analogue cams does a number on the CPU utilization. I might be better off building a separate ZM box for IP cams instead. BTW and off topic the new wireless Trendnet IPCam with IR doesn't do as good of a job in the garage as the Foscam PT with IR so will continue to utilize the Foscam PT with IR in the garage.

This morning downgraded to HSPro V 2.5.0.20. I am running it without BLGarbage. Check the HS Memory utilization in just 21.5 hours. A bit different than V .21. It started to star step up into the 180-240 range then took a dive to the 105 range and now its starting to baseline around the 120 range. I don't know what to make of it though; cuz I thought .21 was really almost the same as .20.

I won't post any more HS memory utilization graphs here though....after this one.
                    Attached Files
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Did some poking around and i can get an i5 2400 with 4gb of ram and mobo shipped to me for 300usd.... that should speed her up a bit!

Raptor

Comment

Well just to follow up,

The x10 rf delays have gotten worse after the changes posted am going to revert back.

My alternative homeseer pc that i was going to use needs a full OS reinstall (btw what do you suggest, XP 32bit or Win 7 32bit orWin 7 64bit) the PC is a Pentium D 940 with 4gb of ram.

Have decided to go with an i5 2400 which runs at about 300usd on newegg.

Raptor

Comment

Well just to follow up,

The x10 rf delays have gotten worse after the changes posted am going to revert back.

My alternative homeseer pc that i was going to use needs a full OS reinstall (btw what do you suggest, XP 32bit or Win 7 32bit orWin 7 64bit) the PC is a Pentium D 940 with 4gb of ram.

Have decided to go with an i5 2400 which runs at about 300usd on newegg.

Raptor

fyi i heard and saw benchmarks on amd's solution to the atom cpu... and it is faster than the i5... might want to check it out as it may use less power and be faster.... im an intel guy and had to look into that...

edited...
                          not sure if this is it... but APU.... video built into cpu... great for low end machines that still need some gpu performance.. like my cctv required me to get a geforce 9500.. something for directx....

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Z...mance-Preview/

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            fyi i heard and saw benchmarks on amd's solution to the atom cpu... and it is faster than the i5... might want to check it out as it may use less power and be faster.... im an intel guy and had to look into that...

edited...
                            not sure if this is it... but APU.... video built into cpu... great for low end machines that still need some gpu performance.. like my cctv required me to get a geforce 9500.. something for directx....

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Z...mance-Preview/

Cool thanks,

That one looks like its better than the atom , as a fellow intel guy i tend not to look much into the AMD offerings.

Raptor

Comment

Well HS has been running on a sepearte machine for a while now and i am pleased to announce not a single issue, so i think that confrims the issue.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Well HS has been running on a sepearte machine for a while now and i am pleased to announce not a single issue, so i think that confrims the issue.

Thanks guys.
                                What issue does this confirm exactly?
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X