Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer/ WHS Server lockup & delays

Hi Guys,

not sure if this is stricly homeseer related but i was hoping someone might have an idea.

I run homeseer on an Atom 330 with 2gb of ram running Windows Home Server (WHS).

its connected up to a wired gigabit lan.

I have noticed some issues from time to time such as:
    1. a random delay when pressing a RF x10 remote and the event running (i have a slim switch next to the bed to switch the lights on and off have tested several slim switches with same results) this also happened using a different homeautomation software but the same w800
    2. Homeseer and homeseer websites stop responding
    3. HSTouch screens, both windows and CE disconnect due to timeout
    4. Server will randomly dissapear from the network and be unavailable (sometimes happens when we pause a TV recording that is on the server and it won't resume)
    I can't tie it down to anything, the cpu and ram usage never seems to max out but i think the issues are caused by a lack of CPU power.

Does any one have any ideas as to what might cause this or how to fix it?

thanks

Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Which RF plugin are you using? There have been a few reports that the older ACRF plugin causes major delays with the later versions of HS. This was fixed by using the newer ACRF2 plugin.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rupp,

I am using the latest version of the ACRF2 plugin, i also had this RF delay with another homeautomation software i was using before homeseer.

Raptor
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

Is the CPU spiking during this delay? If not it shouldn't be a CPU issue. Do you have the retranmit option turned on in the ACRF2 plugin options. This may cause slow downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Is the CPU spiking during this delay? If not it shouldn't be a CPU issue. Do you have the retranmit option turned on in the ACRF2 plugin options. This may cause slow downs.
          I have not worked out a reliable way to work this out as i never know when this will happen, any ideas?

I do not have retransmit enabled.

also wanted to add most of the time it works perfectly, just completely randomly it freezes up and the delay can be a few seconds to a few minutes.

Raptor
          Last edited by Raptor; March 28, 2011, 03:19 PM. Reason: update info

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
            I have not worked out a reliable way to work this out as i never know when this will happen, any ideas?

I do not have retransmit enabled.

also wanted to add most of the time it works perfectly, just completely randomly it freezes up and the delay can be a few seconds to a few minutes.

Raptor
            This sounds like something is blocking. Go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Properties -> Port Settings Tab -> Advanced
            Attached Files
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              This sounds like something is blocking. Go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Properties -> Port Settings Tab -> Advanced
              Hi,

mine is set exactly like yours, except mine is com1 not com10.

Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                Hi,

mine is set exactly like yours, except mine is com1 not com10.

Raptor
                Try changing it!! Experiment with the transmit buffer first and see if that helps. Then try the receive buffer.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=20

Comment

Ok, Changed the transmit buffer (not sure why because its an RF reciever only), the com port to com 2 and turns out i did have retransmit switched on so we will see if that helps

THanks Guys.

Raptor

Comment

The retransmit will slow things down. So hopefully this change solved your slow down issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      The retransmit will slow things down. So hopefully this change solved your slow down issue.
                      Thanks,

Time will tell, no issues last night but only time will tell.

Any ideas on the other 3 issues?
                      1. Homeseer and homeseer websites stop responding (all of WHS locks up for a few seconds)
                      2. HSTouch screens, both windows and CE disconnect due to timeout
                      3. Server will randomly dissapear from the network and be unavailable (sometimes happens when we pause a TV recording that is on the server and it won't resume)

Comment

Those sound like resource issues in that the CPU could be pegged and not allowing any interrupts to the system resources. Have you tried leaving the task manager running to see how often the CPU is running at 100% or the memory is pegging?

Comment

Hi,

Yea i tried that but its always hard to be there when it is causing issues (and it's headless at the moment) so i found a CPU logger in the admin tools in WHS so i am logging cpu usage every few seconds.

Can you think of any other way to test this?

Raptor

Comment

I'm curious what else are you running on the WHS server and what OS is it (2003 or 2008?) Looking at some graphing this morning CPU utilization went up during the backup (from less than 10% to above 10%)

Is is a NAS box too? Any other HW connected to the Box doing non HS stuff?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pete; March 29, 2011, 08:54 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

1. Originally posted by Pete View Post
                                I'm curious what else are you running on the WHS server and what OS is it (2003 or 2008?)
                              Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Is is a NAS box too?
                              The OS is Called Windows Home Server(WHS) but it is based on Windows Server 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

WHS handels PC backups, and shares my media across my home network, so it works like a NAS box.

The only things Running are:
                              1. WHS Services inc. Backup/Share, and its webserver
                              2. FTP server
                              3. HSPRO with 5-6 plugins
                              4. Eyefi Server
                              Raptor

Comment

Working...
                              X