• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmable Thermostat Selection

Hello,
    Very quick question: what is the best programmable z-wave thermostat that:
    • plays nice with HomeSeer
    • allows not just basic control but full programming via remote access (PC web browser / iPhone and iPad browser / HSTouch app)

A simple Google search has produced a fairly consistent list (from different sites) of z-wave thermostats. They range from $80 to over $300 and have various functions supported. Unfortunately, none of the sites I visited could spell out clearly whether or not I can program any given thermostat remotely. That does not even bring up the question of whether there is one that has a full interface nicely integrated into HSPro and can be configured from that software.

Is there such a thermostat?

2 weeks ago I purchased and installed the Trane z-wave Thermostat (Schlage Link version -TZEMTT400AB32MAA) at Radio Shack on sale for $60. I am using it with the Homeseer z-stick (Aeon).

It was simple to install, works great, and is fully controllable via the web. I really like it. I have programmed into Homeseer, 6 setpoint changes on workdays, 3 on weekends.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      2 weeks ago I purchased and installed the Trane z-wave Thermostat (Schlage Link version -TZEMTT400AB32MAA) at Radio Shack on sale for $60. I am using it with the Homeseer z-stick (Aeon).

It was simple to install, works great, and is fully controllable via the web. I really like it. I have programmed into Homeseer, 6 setpoint changes on workdays, 3 on weekends.

Steve Q
      Thanks, Steve. Are you saying that you are able to program specific setpoint changes for each day of the week -- all via HomeSeer interface? That sounds great!

Comment

I have not been able to find a z-wave (or Insteon) tstat that is "programmable" via HS. They are remote controllable and you can program HS to take actions based on time or temperature. There are a couple of nice plugins to do this. But you can't program the actual tstat if that is what you are looking for. The programming is all in the plugin.

I don't know if I have seen all of the tstats out there, but the Trane/Schlage Link/HS and a couple of others were all remote controllable but not remote programmable.

FYI, I use the HAI OmniStat. It's not wireless but it is remote programmable. The free HS plugin is fairly robust. You can save multiple 7 day schedules and load them via an event. I have one setup for when I am at home and one for when I am away. Works nicely. Running the wire was a bit of a hassle but there was a wire going up to the tstat anyway right.

Comment

Correct, I cannot "program" the Trane t-stat. I use Homeseer to send it new set points. HS runs 24/7 anyway, why not use it. If Homeseer hangs, the t-stat will "hold" the last setpoint sent to it.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
            I have not been able to find a z-wave (or Insteon) tstat that is "programmable" via HS. They are remote controllable and you can program HS to take actions based on time or temperature. There are a couple of nice plugins to do this. But you can't program the actual tstat if that is what you are looking for. The programming is all in the plugin.

I don't know if I have seen all of the tstats out there, but the Trane/Schlage Link/HS and a couple of others were all remote controllable but not remote programmable.

FYI, I use the HAI OmniStat. It's not wireless but it is remote programmable. The free HS plugin is fairly robust. You can save multiple 7 day schedules and load them via an event. I have one setup for when I am at home and one for when I am away. Works nicely. Running the wire was a bit of a hassle but there was a wire going up to the tstat anyway right.
            Why would you use HS to program a stat? If you aren't going to use HS to control it take the 5 minutes to program it and your done.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp, it doesn't matter if the programming is in HS or in the Tstat. They will both change setpoints when the clock reaches X on Y day. The nice thing is if I'm working on HS or having an issue of sorts, the tstat is unaffected. HS is 24/7 but not 365 for me. Always installing, troubleshooting or tweaking something. The less that gets interupted when I'm working on something the better. I would also say there is a much lower chance of the Tstat locking up by itself than my HS machine. PC's are far from perfect. So given the choice or to program or not to program, I prefer to be able to program the tstat.

So for me, the tstat is programmed, but the programming can be changed/manipulated by HS as needed.

Comment

I share HeatVent's philosophy.

The reason for having HS program the Thermostat is that it could be done on varying conditions that HS sees and once the thermostat is programmed, it would then run independently.

Comment

Originally posted by RBergquist View Post
                  I share HeatVent's philosophy.

The reason for having HS program the Thermostat is that it could be done on varying conditions that HS sees and once the thermostat is programmed, it would then run independently.
                  Well it doesn't work this way nor have I ever seen a stat that allowed this, so it's either program it your self or use HS.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The Trane t-stat does have a ESM mode (energy savings mode) that contains 4 adjustable set points. These set points can be adjusted manually. Perhaps they can also be adjusted via z-wave parameters; I have no idea! Perhaps someone will figure it out.

I will use Homeseer to change my setpoints. If Homeseer is down, I will manually adjust the t-stat.

Steve Q

Comment

The z-wave stats do not but the HAI stats do (but they are not z-wave and are not wireless).

Comment

Would like to hear more about the HAI RC2000 and other thermostat recommendations.

I too like the philosophy of simply using HS to program the stat and letting it do it's job from there. That way if something fails along the way, my HVAC isn't stuck in what was supposed to be a temporary state and I can count on the next scheduled change to happen.

For years I've been living with bugs, limitations & irritants but no castastrophic problems using an RCS TR40 Serial thermostat and the old HS plug-in and am looking at options to improve things, which include upgrading to the new RCS Serial plug-in and changing thermostats altogether.

Am finding only spotty and incomplete information on both the current RCS Serial plug-in (posting to that forum has been no help so far), and on the current HAI thermostat setup and the available HS features with it.

Is there a single document or web site somewhere on programming the RC2000 from HS?

Where does someone get consolidated information on the features in general supported by the HS plug-ins, starting with the RCS Serial and HAI plug-ins?

Lastly, is it just a bad impression I'm getting or is there not much in the way of support and on-going enhancement happening for these kinds of plug-ins? Has that been a problem for people?

Comment

Working...
                        X