Where does a new guy begin??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
    For me, Security was the big push that really got me into this whole thing. ( I had used X-10 for fun in our 1st rental. I was using HAL at the time. I then switch to a cracked version of homeseer sorry homeseer team but had I not done that, I probably wouldnt be a user now ) I knew I wanted to automate our 1st house, and right from the start, bought Homeseer, an ELK M1 Gold for security, and RCS thermostats. All of it Integrates wonderfully with Homeseer. It wasnt a cheap decision. but if money is not a concern, I would do it.

I agree with the comments about x-10. I personally have a lot of X-10 installed. It has worked Mostly well fo me. But, I am switching to Z-wave slowly myself. The issue has been costs. If money is not an issue, go to one of the better protocols.
    By "one of the better protocols," I assume you're referring to Z-wave and ____?

Comment

This would be Insteon, Z-Wave, and UPB. I'm sure you can find other threads that talk about these, but here a recent one...

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=148276
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Otis View Post
        Now that I'm doing all this reading here, it seems to me that something like a HomeTroller is the way for me to go. Plus I read that the power savings alone end up paying for it over the years. Also the issue of power outages. Dealing with Windoze and building a reliable enough PC. Etc.

A HomeTroller-type deal it is...
        Not to confuse the issue but thought I would throw another option out as you like macs. I actually run my system on a dedicated Mac mini because of it's small footprint, low noise, low heat, and modest power consumption. Running bootcamp with windows 7 32 bit. 4 gigs of ram total.

Started with x10 about 9 years ago and have finally moved up to UPB with some zwave. Hope to have the bulk of x10 gone in the next couple of months. X10 is decent as a starter technology but if you don't need 2 way, might hit the radio shacks and see if there are any zwave modules left for $10 each. Zwave tends to be more reliable out of the box without needing to invest in phase bridges, signal boosters, line filters, and troubleshooting equipment.

Hope that somehow helps.

-sphiend

Comment

Originally posted by sphiend View Post
          Not to confuse the issue but thought I would throw another option out as you like macs. I actually run my system on a dedicated Mac mini because of it's small footprint, low noise, low heat, and modest power consumption. Running bootcamp with windows 7 32 bit. 4 gigs of ram total.

Started with x10 about 9 years ago and have finally moved up to UPB with some zwave. Hope to have the bulk of x10 gone in the next couple of months. X10 is decent as a starter technology but if you don't need 2 way, might hit the radio shacks and see if there are any zwave modules left for $10 each. Zwave tends to be more reliable out of the box without needing to invest in phase bridges, signal boosters, line filters, and troubleshooting equipment.

Hope that somehow helps.

-sphiend
          This is tempting, but I think by the time I get through buying a Mac Mini and then the HomeSeer software and whatever else I need, I'll be hitting the price point for one of the HomeSeer HomeTroller controllers. I'd rather go with something dedicated and at least simplify that step here.

Also I have plenty of Windows experience in the past, so I'm not concerned about familiarity.

Comment

Otis,
            I was in your place 3 months ago. In February, we moved into our new log home and I had planned and researched on the best home automation the previous 2 years. I investigated Z-wave, X-10, Insteon and all the others. I looked at 5 different software packages. It was kind of fun planning while our place was being built. Oh, and I'm also a Mac guy.

In the end, I selected Z-wave and Homeseer HS with the HStouch plugin (for my iPad and iPhone) and Z-Seer (to save debug time with Z-Wave). I found an old IBM Thinkpad laptop and stuck it in a corner. All the interfaces are via USB or USB-Serial adapters. And I have 2 web cameras and a weather station tied into the Thinkpad as well.

As was mentioned, all the intefacing to Homeseer is via the browser, and Firefox and Safari work just fine. It's nice to use my iPad at work and plug right into the guts of Homeseer remotely.

For my Z-wave interfaces, I have 2 Trane thermostats, Schlage deadbolt lock, 2 switches, 1 dimmer switch, a bunch of lamp modules, 2 outdoor modules, 2 flood sensors, and 2 motion sensors. It took a while to get the programming just right, but it's been fun. Also, I was able to get most of the programming done via "Events" and only a little scripting.

You touched on the biggest issue with Homeseer - the learning curve with minimal user info. I'm a guy that doesn't read the user manuals, but HS takes it to a new lower level. My advice: read and reread the on-line help file, the FAQs, the Wiki and the knowledge base. I also pour over this board, but watch for incorrect info on the board. This was especially true with Schlage door locks. Z-Wave is reliable, but tricky to place the units in such a way to build a good wireless mesh network.

Overall, it's been a fun experience building my custom home automation system. It's very powerful and after a few months of learning, I feel comfortable in modifying and tweaking the system. A few recommendations:
            - I bought the Aeon Labs Z-Stick 2. I wish I bought the Z-troller since my home is big and I could have used the extra radio power. Also the Z-troller makes adding and deleting Z-wave nodes very simple - so I've heard.
            - As was mentioned, map out a basic system and then add nodes as needed. I have a box of Z-wave lamp modules and dimmer switches that I bought, but now don't need.
            - Read the lighting modules specs carefully. One of the dimmers I bought only supported 300 watts, and I needed at least 600 watts. Also, The 3 ways light switches require their mating light switches. I thought you could use standard switches as the remote switches, but no.

Have fun,
            John

Comment

oh yeah, I forgot my Z-Wave Schlage locks!

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                oh yeah, I forgot my Z-Wave Schlage locks!

--Dan
                Nice -- I'm all over this. Do you guys do this for multiple doors in the house? I'm thinking I'd like to set this up both for the front and back doors. Also do these provide feedback? Seems like it would be a great feature if we've left home and can't remember if we locked the door or not, if we could just jump on the iPhone and confirm.

Comment

I prefer the Kwikset deadbolts because they can be remotely locked. Certainly you can tell if they are locked remotely via HS/HSTouch. I also have my deadbolts lock automatically if the iPhones are away (using a combination of bluetooth and GPS location), and send text msgs that confirm their state changes.
                  Mike

Comment

Another + for locks. I get text messages when certain family members enter their code. I also track all usage and display in HSTouch. I also lock the door if the cars are gone (RFID) or Occupancy status is 'Vacant' or at midnight, etc.
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I actually went Schalge for the handle on one door, and dead bolt on the other.

I went with the dead bolt as my last house moved a LOT. If I used a selft locking bolt, it would wear out prematurely. That is, I wouldn't be able to put it in a position that was "easy" to lock throughout the WHOLE year.

In the new house, probably not a big deal...but, past experience.

We use the triggers for lots of things. When I enter my code, the lights into the house are turned on. When my wife puts her code in, HS unlocks the door (otherwise Schalge locks re-lock themselves after 10-20 seconds after you enter the code). So, we use her code to unlock and stay unlocked. Bringing in groceries.

I've been thinking of giving each user 2-3 codes. Changing one number...say ending in 1 is lights on, ending in 2 is lights on door unlock, ending in 3 is door unlock only.

The dead bolt right now only provides status. It will eventually trigger HS to turn on power to the striker release. I wanted to put a handle AND bolt on the front door, but the holes were too close together. So, I ended up putting the bolt and an in wall striker release. This way HS can unlock the handle part.

If we lose power, use a key. No key? Then the other door unlocks with just a code.

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        I also lock the door ...or at midnight, etc.
                        I do this but at 10:00PM, unless the garage motion sensor is triggered AFTER the door open sensor is triggered (someone went INTO the garage from the house).

--Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                          I prefer the Kwikset deadbolts because they can be remotely locked. Certainly you can tell if they are locked remotely via HS/HSTouch. I also have my deadbolts lock automatically if the iPhones are away (using a combination of bluetooth and GPS location), and send text msgs that confirm their state changes.
                          Woah. Very cool.

Comment

The Shlages can be remotely locked as well. At least that is my understanding... I certainly hope so since I bought 4 of them (but haven't installed yet). They were on clearance at Radio Shack... may still be if you are really interersted. I think I paid $69 for just the lock or $99 for the kit (lock, bridge, and module). Then sold the bridge (not needed with homeseer)on ebay for $40. So $59 for the locks and a module.

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                              The Shlages can be remotely locked as well. At least that is my understanding...
                              The Schlage dead bolts can not be locked remotely.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                                The Schlage dead bolts can not be locked remotely.
                                Ahh. I had looked at the specs for the lever locks not realizing they were that much different than the deadbolts. Guess I will be selling on eBay. Got them cheap enough. Shouldnt lose any money.
                                Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X