Where does a new guy begin??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
    Ahh. I had looked at the specs for the lever locks not realizing they were that much different than the deadbolts. Guess I will be selling on eBay. Got them cheap enough. Shouldnt lose any money.
    Thanks!!
    Just got home and looked at the box. Says "unlock the door remotely". So, is the ability to not unlock the deadbolt just a limitation in how homeseer is connecting?

Thanks.

Comment

Just got home and looked at the box. Says "unlock the door remotely". So, is the ability to not unlock the deadbolt just a limitation in how homeseer is connecting?

Thanks.
      I dont have a deadbolt, but I believe when they say "unlock the door remotely" they mean you can enable the deadbolt mechanism to be manually turned so that it can be unlocked. I'm sure others will clarify...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        I dont have a deadbolt, but I believe when they say "unlock the door remotely" they mean you can enable the deadbolt mechanism to be manually turned so that it can be unlocked. I'm sure others will clarify...
        That's what I gather from reading the homeseer sales page. The actual lock box is very misleading then. Not sure what the point of that would be. Should have done more research.. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146525

Thanks
        Last edited by raptorsss; April 5, 2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I too started from "scratch" in the new home where as in the previous home I had just utilized X10 (since the 80's) with Homeseer. (about early 80's to early 2000's).

I never saw any problems with X10 relating to X10 signals because I did initially install an XTB amplifier on my X10 only PIM (along with a signal filter and bridge in my fuse panel).

Having said this and utilizing a serial Insteon PIM/signal bridges on the Insteon side of the Insteon switches I never had an issue in this world also.

As stated earlier and even today (now utilizing more UPS's) I still have 100% coverage on the X10 and Insteon side of the house about 7 or so years after installation.

Fast forward to today...now mixing UPB and Z-Wave into the mix I am finding certain reasons to keep utilizing both of these.

Relating to my landscaping transformer use (one of many endeavors) I now am utilizing both Z-Wave, old X-10 and UPB I found that the old X10 appliance modules work better with my 1000 watt toroidal transformers versus the two MFGs Z-Wave appliance modules I've tested (tripping breakers). In the same mix I now have UPB appliance modules. These too are doing well not tripping my 1000 watt toroidal transformers. Years before I also tried Insteon appliance transformers; for whatever reason they didn't work out.

So what I am saying is that I didn't put "all my eggs" in one basket or haven't found a "shoe" that fits every size yet relating to the use of powerline or powerline hybrids with wireless today (2011).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks all -- this has been a ton of great information so far.

As a basic question, can someone give me a list of the things I need to buy to get up and running? I understand I can add things along the way (door locks, interfaces to other things in the house), but I am just looking for a list of the basic components I will need for my system. At this point I'm thinking about going with something dedicated like the HomeTroller Pro, which I understand comes with all the software I need (I just need to plug in a keyboard, mouse and screen to work with it). Beyond that, if I am going to use Z-wave (and it seems like I will certainly want to use at least some Z-wave devices, I think I need to buy the Z-troller? Are those the only two components I need to get up and running (in addition to, say, some lamp modules or something to actually start controlling/testing out)?

Thanks again. This thread has been extremely valuable to me so far and I appreciate all the feedback. Seems like a great community here.

Comment

That's what I gather from reading the homeseer sales page. The actual lock box is very misleading then. Not sure what the point of that would be. Should have done more research.. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=146525

Thanks
              I own the dead bolt and use it, so I can settle this.

The confusion is the Schalge dead bolts can be "remotely" engaged, however the actual SLIDING of the bolt is by turning the knob on the door.

When the unit is NOT engaged, the knob turns freely.

Again, I wanted this so that if my door ever became hard to lock, I won't wear out my lock mechanism (clutch, etc.).

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Sounds like all you will need, you listed.

I don't sue a ZTroller, but have been told they work well. Also, read lots on the Aeon Labs Z-Stick. I don't use either of those, but then again, my network is ~4 things right now. Soon to be ~6. So, I've not been worried about getting something "ultra" fancy.

And later on, if you decide to get UPB, or anything like that, you just add it on!

--Dan
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                  Sounds like all you will need, you listed.

I don't sue a ZTroller, but have been told they work well. Also, read lots on the Aeon Labs Z-Stick. I don't use either of those, but then again, my network is ~4 things right now. Soon to be ~6. So, I've not been worried about getting something "ultra" fancy.

And later on, if you decide to get UPB, or anything like that, you just add it on!

--Dan
                  Great, thanks! If I add on UPB/X10 later, I assume I will have to buy a separate controller for those as well? (as with the Ztroller for Z-wave)?

Comment

Originally posted by Otis View Post
                    If I add on UPB/X10 later, I assume I will have to buy a separate controller for those as well? (as with the Ztroller for Z-wave)?
                    That's correct. Each protocol needs it's own interface except for X10 and Insteon which can use the same controller in some instances.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Otis,
                      As I started relatively recently in HA, I did a lot of reading through this site first, plus I spoke at length with Mark at HS who helped me immensely with my noob questions and assisted me to select my best start up equipment, (I went HomeTroller and ZStick at that time), and went all ZWave. Never looked back and I'm still adding 2 or 3 new components every couple of months. It also allowed me to target and reduce my FL home electric usage such that I only burn avg 540W/hour with the pool pump on 7 hrs/day and the HVAC off.
                      Last edited by Olbrit; April 6, 2011, 05:56 PM.
                      All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Otis,

BTW - Ztroller is one of the best means to manage your Z-Wave devices. There is no other device out there right now which will offer the same features.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                          Otis,
                          As I started relatively recently in HA, I did a lot of reading through this site first, plus I spoke at length with Mark at HS who helped me immensely with my noob questions and assisted me to select my best start up equipment, (I went HomeTroller and ZStick at that time), and went all ZWave. Never looked back and I'm still adding 2 or 3 new components every couple of months. It also allowed me to target and reduce my FL home electric usage such that I only burn total 540W/day with the pool pump on 7 hrs/day and the HVAC off.
                          Nice, thanks. I've been reading here the past few days and will continue to, and maybe I'll also ring Mark at HS for more details. It sounds like you went with the very same setup I'm looking for. Good to hear it's working for you.

Comment

Stupid newbie question re: coffee makers:

If you use an appliance module, the appliance module just gives the coffee maker power, but I assume that doesn't start it automatically. And if you have a clock on the front, it will never stay set. How do people go about making coffee in the morning with their HA setup? I can't seem to find anything on a "Z wave coffee maker."

Comment

Originally posted by Otis View Post
                              Stupid newbie question re: coffee makers:

If you use an appliance module, the appliance module just gives the coffee maker power, but I assume that doesn't start it automatically. And if you have a clock on the front, it will never stay set. How do people go about making coffee in the morning with their HA setup? I can't seem to find anything on a "Z wave coffee maker."
                              This was one of the big selling points of X10 from years ago; wake up to fresh coffee, automatically. The points left out were what you found - the coffee pot must have its switch in the ON position and be ready to go. And, yes, you lose the clock on the front until the module is switched on.
                              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

This looks like a solid choice for a thermostat to add to my Zwave network. Since it doesn't have requirements regarding power, sounds like it will be perfect for me to buy to install in the house we are closing on soon -- since we don't know what setup the current thermostat has.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/2GIG...G-P971C67.aspx

:tempted:

Comment

Working...
                                X