No announcement yet.

Question about 1-wire or wireless temp/humidity sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nightwalker post of it in that thread still works.

Comment

The best overall document for 1-Wire / my personal choice is the document that Midon wrote relating to just a general overview on 1-Wire. Its nice because it is just a plain old 1-wire overview.

My original topology was a star topology (in place today) for my parasitic temperature/humidity sensors. Per Midon the best topology is kind of a hybrid of the star with legs off a main and you can have multiple legs to alleviate reflections. I don't see much of an issue with reflections off of the parasitic temperature/humidity only network. I started to see issues with the mixing of various 1-wire sensors. Today 1 have one dual water meter counter on one 9097 just for the water meters.

Another one just has one barometer and multiple temperature sensors. Another one has multiple weather instruments on it. Favorite being my lighting sensor.

Today you can do just temperature sensors for pennies for the sensors using what Michael uses (MCS) for a parasitic network. Just the RJ-45 jack with the leads cliped to the end of the jack. Very clean and easy install.

My old AAG sensors were mounted in "AAG" cases which were old telco external boxes; the little ones with extra holes on them. I have mine glued onto a standard single RJ-6 terminal plate sealed from the inside of the wall. They were originally ivory but I painted them white (spray painted). They look non invasive and I can take pictures if you want to see what they look like. A while ago I purchased a "bunch" of small board temperature only sensors from Midon and these are also mounted in the little telco boxes. One basement humidity combo sensor is mounted in an old smoke detector. Outside I have multiple temperature sensors, temperature humidity and temperature, light and Humidity sensors plus one HAI combo sensor. The "weather" station is just a tipping bucket (original Dallas Instruments AAG "Clone" counter), lightning sensor (HB counter), pagoda (HB triple sensor), AAG Wind and direction (NOT working right). Its been up there for years now...one more thing...the original combo AAG sensors were a 1/4 size of my smallest fingernail and totally parasitic with no issues for more than 10 years.

I also have external and internal HAI temperature/humidity sensors (much more expensive though).

I also have a drawing on my 4 1-wire networks and can post a link to a PDF if you want.

If you want to keep the whole thing cost prohibitive then use a 9097 serial connector. They work well off of my Digi box and very inexpensive. Use the 1-wire Dallas Instruments program to test your connection. This is much different than using a serial connection to a temp05/08 and testing it with a terminal program. You can talk easily to the devices with the Temp0X setup - not as easy to do with the 9097 setup.

The whole 1-wire "thing" has been around for quite a few years now so there is solutions for just about any OS. I have one test setup with the Dockstar which just keeps polling a Temp08 and putting the info on the network. Then I take it into HS.
      Last edited by Pete; April 7, 2011, 04:12 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.17.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Chewie,

As was noted the Oregon sensors are about the size of a pack of cigarettes with an LCD display of the locally measured temperature/humidity depending on the model. I have a two story home with one in the upstairs master bedroom, one in the kitchen on level one, one in my server rack, one in the HVAC supply & HVAC return duct, one outside, and one in the garage. The RFXCom receiver is in the basement and I have not had any issues yet with missed readings. So far a happy user. They look nice and I don't see any reason to hide them.

Comment

Working...
        X