Question about 1-wire or wireless temp/humidity sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 1-wire or wireless temp/humidity sensors

Hi guys, I originally posted this in the wrong forum so am re posting, but anyway...

I have a 2 story house and would like to try and put in a Temp/Humidity monitoring system throughout the house. I was looking at things like the Temp08 and 1-Wire, but not having access to run siring around the downstairs really limits how much I can do down there. I have also considered the Oregon sensors and an RFXCom receiver, but I thought I would reach out here and see how others are doing this.

Thoughts?

It really boils down to cost and whether you can run wire or not. If you can't easily then the Oregon sensors are the way to go.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have 12 temperature sensors (10 inside - 2 outside) connected via 1-wire to a TEMP08. This setup has been incredibly reliable. No mainaintence (no batteries), no software issues, rock solid. I have millions of temperatures logged... I don't think I have ever seen a "bad value".

Running the wires is worth the effort. You can use plenum rated cat 5 and put the wires in your heating ducts.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve, which sensors are you using? Are they combo temp/humidity?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          I have 12 temperature sensors (10 inside - 2 outside) connected via 1-wire to a TEMP08. This setup has been incredibly reliable. No mainaintence (no batteries), no software issues, rock solid. I have millions of temperatures logged... I don't think I have ever seen a "bad value".

Running the wires is worth the effort. You can use plenum rated cat 5 and put the wires in your heating ducts.

Steve Q
          My temp05 has been running for years and I kinda forgot about it. When I added the humidity sensors I had some reflection issues but adding the resistor fixed that. These are rock solid if you can run the wires.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I recently jumped into this and highly recommend Oregon sensors and the RFXCom receiver. Easy set up once you follow the directions. Additional sensors can be added inside and outdoors with no additional wiring. Just my two cents.

Comment

RPeadro, how big are the Oregon sensors? Are they small enough to easily hide?

That and the cost are really probably going to be my deciding factors as I can get wiring to most of the rooms that I really want to monitor fairly easily, but if the wireless sensors work well, are not terribly expensive and are inconspicuous or hidable I will probably go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                RPeadro, how big are the Oregon sensors? Are they small enough to easily hide?

That and the cost are really probably going to be my deciding factors as I can get wiring to most of the rooms that I really want to monitor fairly easily, but if the wireless sensors work well, are not terribly expensive and are inconspicuous or hidable I will probably go that route.
                the oregon wireless sensors can be a tad big.. however they have a lcd on them so it is convenient to also be able to see the temp..

they are the size of a cig pack... about.... thinner but about the height and width...

also i got mine for $7.50 each a WHILE ago and bought what i could (10 of them)... now they are like $20+ and that is not for the ones with humidity...

1 wire is way easier.... but i couldnt run wires to where i needed it to...
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I use four 1-wire networks and they have been fine for years now. I have multiple types of 1-wire temperature / humidity sensors. I have some very small ones that AAG was using around 2001 that are still running fine today. These are totally parasitic. The newer combo Temperature / Humidity sensors that I have in place are both HB and Midon combos and they are working fine now but utilize two sets of voltages and are on different 1-wire networks. All of the 1-Wire devices are utilizing CAT5. The most reasonable for just temperature is MCS's with the temp sensor on the RJ-45 jack. In the early 2000's though I purchased many of the AAG temperature sensors and later many of the Midon on the PC board temperatuer sensors. All of them work fine and as stated above very low maintainance on the these devices/network. (Temp08, Temp05 and 2 9097's plus one test Temp08). I just recently purchased a 1-Wire device which is labeled USB-9097 the size of a small memory stick. This device uses standard 3 pin "earphone jacks" for temperature sensors on "built" cables. The device came with two jacks, two temperature sensors with extensions. You could utilize the small and thin stereo extension cables the device to wire the temperature sensors all over if you wanted.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete,
                    I really want to get something like this working. Could you give a quick overview of exactly what it takes to get one of these systems working? Interface, modules, Plugin, etc. approx costs/locations you purchase from? Right now, I have some temp sensors from ELK, but they are just way to expensive to keep going that route.

My current HA budget is working on Cameras and Z-Wave. So I dont have much I can spend in this category

Thanks,
                    Dave

Comment

maybe someone still has my 1 wire doc that i did some time ago.. i dont have it anymore.. it was called.. TeleFragger's Dummie Guide to 1wire

it was start to finish for me to reinstall mine with pics and down to the anyone can follow it instructions.....

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

My biggest problem with 1-wire was mounting the sensors. I always had to mount them high or low and have them be inconspicuous. I was worried that I wouldnt get an accurate reading. With the wireless Oregon sensors, you can put them behind a dresser at mid-height and get a decent reading.
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                          My biggest problem with 1-wire was mounting the sensors. I always had to mount them high or low and have them be inconspicuous. I was worried that I wouldnt get an accurate reading. With the wireless Oregon sensors, you can put them behind a dresser at mid-height and get a decent reading.

or if you have the ones that i have.. THC-138... they have a 10' probe... so you can put the unit so you can read it.. then move the probe/wire to where you want it.... hence why i no longer use the 1 wire

Comment

I think I found it in this thread. http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=124050
                            Will give it a look. Though in the thread you mention it being outdated. Looks like 2007/2008.

Pete, is this the same setup you are using?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                              I think I found it in this thread. http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=124050
                              Will give it a look. Though in the thread you mention it being outdated. Looks like 2007/2008.

Pete, is this the same setup you are using?

Thanks,
                              it is in that thread.. but i used to host the file from home.. and i dont have it anymore... ill check but pretty sure it is gone...

Comment

Working...
                              X