x-10 loud in din rail and box when turn on/off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x-10 loud in din rail and box when turn on/off

The X-10 modules are quite loud when they turn on has anyone used anything to quieten them down?

No but i've thought of it...I got a couple of the dimmer din rail modules and they hum pretty loudly (although I think this may be because i'm running them at close to the lowest wattage level) and its noticeable in the room i've got them in.

If you've got them in din boxes already then i'm not sure what you can do, I doubt the relays are easy to change...only think I can think is lining the boxes with non flammable sound deadening stuff, even then not sure i'd trust it myself..

Comment

One thing I have been doing is putting insulating foam around the faceplate of wall boxes, mostly to stop air leaks in my older home, but it has also helped with those kinds of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by techboy View Post
        The X-10 modules are quite loud when they turn on has anyone used anything to quieten them down?
        If you are refering to the Appliance Modules, they use a big klunky solenoid driven latching relay. One of the relays contacts is solidly attached to the socket contact which acts as a resonator. It is what it is. A layer of foam might help some, but the module does dissapate two or three watts of heat.

The Smarthome.com - Insteon/X10 Appliance Modules are much, much, quieter.

Comment

There's also a mod out there which you can implement to change the physical solinoid to an electronic one. I bought the parts a while back, but haven't tried it yet. I'll have to look for the link...

Robert

edit: Here's the link http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/modif...amp_module.htm
          Last edited by langenet; April 7, 2011, 02:16 PM.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I was refering to the appliance module. The heat issue does concern me. On my test bed it was ok but I think once the modules are in a box on the metal rail attacjed to plaster board the sound is much louder.

I thought a rubber strip behind the din rail and the box may absorb alot of the vibration

and some sound proof foam around the box but leaving space for the heat to disapate would help.

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X