Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security System Question

Hello,

i have setup a few homeseer systems (HA only/no security) at friends and relatives houses and it'll be my turn this summer at my first home.

my question is around security systems. i have been looking and everyone seems to go with HAI Omnipro II or the Elk M1. These systems seem to be great HA/Security systems, but i'm not feeling the prices.

Do you think that a HomeSeer (HA) and HAI OmniPro/Elk (security) is the best way to go regardless of price?

Or should i be looking at some other system that does security only, but interfaces with HomeSeer?

Thanks,

A

I personally can only speak to the ELK M1G. But, my understanding is If you truly just want security, then some of the other cheaper systems are fine and there are plugins for them. But if you really plan on taking it further, the ELK/OMNI is the way to go. I couldnt be happier with my choice, and I am constantly adding things to it. Just added control of my Garage door through relays, moving my sprinkler system off of X-10 to relays, and then plan on using relays to allow control of the whole house audio zones.

Comment

If HomeSeer is doing your heavy lifting, meaning taking care of the automation/integration chores, then just go with a quality security system, like the DSC 1832 system. It's relativity inexpensive and very easy to merge with HomeSeer.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

DSC is the only way to go to get a quality system for the right price and use HomeSeer as your automation system.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Which plugin would you recommend?

ed t.
          tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
            Which plugin would you recommend?

ed t.
            I'm not sure who this question was directed to but Rich has recently reworked the HomeSeer DSC plugin and Blade has one as well.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Which plug-in would depend on if the user has the PRO edition of HomeSeer that comes with all the plug-ins included. I am quite happy with Blade's but if the user has HSPro then it would be worth trying the updated HS DSC plug-in first, since it's included.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                Which plug-in would depend on if the user has the PRO edition of HomeSeer that comes with all the plug-ins included. I am quite happy with Blade's but if the user has HSPro then it would be worth trying the updated HS DSC plug-in first, since it's included.
                I'd say go for an updated DSC system and use HS' own updated plug-in that comes with the PRO version anyway. Seems to be a very strong implementation.

Nicolai
                Nicolai L

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but... Is there a "wireless" solution between the alarm box and Homeseer? Unfortunately my alarm panel and HS are on different sides of the house with no easy way to get a wired connection between the two.

Thanks

Comment

Not directly as such with the DSC solution. It relies on a serial cable.

You could probably couple something together that would give you a remote serial port over WiFI ....
                    Nicolai L

Comment

good info. i have been looking at some of the other options out there other than elk/hai as well. the elk/hai stuff is amazing but pricey.

The Adempco and DSC offerings aren't too shabby either.

Another question...about how many zones do you guys use? i'm trying to determine if 32 wireless zones is enough for a 4-bedroom 2-bath garaged sf home.

Comment

Yikes, that's a lot of wireless! I don't use any wireless but have 12 zones going. I don't think you can combine wireless sensors into the same zone like you can wired, I suspect you will need a zone for each wireless sensor you use.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

Originally posted by gelessor View Post
                          Not to hijack the thread but... Is there a "wireless" solution between the alarm box and Homeseer? Unfortunately my alarm panel and HS are on different sides of the house with no easy way to get a wired connection between the two.

Thanks

im using a cat5 cable to connect the 2...

Originally posted by franknitty69 View Post
                          good info. i have been looking at some of the other options out there other than elk/hai as well. the elk/hai stuff is amazing but pricey.

The Adempco and DSC offerings aren't too shabby either.

Another question...about how many zones do you guys use? i'm trying to determine if 32 wireless zones is enough for a 4-bedroom 2-bath garaged sf home.
                          32 zones.. wow....

i have
                          9 windows/doors
                          2 basement bars
                          1 water sensor
                          2 glass breaks
                          2 smoke detectors

i have the concord 4 alarm... can do up to 96 wireless zones....
                          free plugin from piperpilot (still being worked on) is what i use...

i use the superbus 2000 automation module connected via a cat5 cable that I ran from the panel to the HS box.. also only use 4 wires from HS to module.. so use 2 other wires to send speach across to the alarm speaker.... works great

********edited
                          i also have a keyfob to give to neighbors when they take care of the cats for us... that does take up a wireless zone.... so 17 in use but have 79 free
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                          X