Script Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
    This is probably the wrong place to ask this and the question if probably more complicated than I think but anyway, here goes.

Can someone, without getting way to technical, tell me the difference between a "Sub Main" and a "Public Sub Main"?
    If your subroutine is within a class marking it public will allow someone instantiating your class to use this subroutine from their code. If the subroutine is marked private it will not be exposed to the instantiating code. I'm not sure what happens if it's not marked with Public/Private/Friend/Protected, etc

More than you ever wanted to know is available here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973875
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

yikes Rupp!!! I have a feeling that I may not be ready yet to know the difference between these two. You had me looking up the definition of "instantiate", and that was before I even tried to grasp the basic concept.

But I'm at least thinking about it and reading the link you showed. Thank you!
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Whoops, sorry. Instantiate is simply declaring an object variable of a class. It's kinda like this. I have a class that has 3 functions in it. The class is called calculator and it has 2 public functions and one private. When you set a variable to the calculator class you will see the 2 funtions(methods) that are marked public. You will not see the private functions(methods).
        The public metods/functions are add and total the private method is numCalculations
        ie
        dim myCal as new Calculator
        myCal.add(2+2)
        iTotal = myCal.total

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Oh no worries, it's most confusing, but it's a new concept to me so I expect to be confused for a bit. I swear I never get anywhere until I get confused, at least once, first.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone who lent a hand and was patient enough to help. While I am still struggling a bit with some of the new to me concepts that were presented I learned something that I found most valuable.

I use scripts for almost all of my speaking events. Some were large some were small. Most were small and as a result I had maybe 50 different tiny scripts that were called.

I had no idea that you could combine these and call individual sections of a script with an option. I know this is a simple thing for you advanced scripting people but it wasn't to me. I would like to specifically thank James for taking the time and showing me the way to do this with a simple example that made it all come clear in my head. I should also apologize to mrhappy, he alluded to the same thing but I wasn't getting it at the time. Sorry about that.

At any rate I've been able to combine those 50 or so scripts down into 5 that have similar or like functions. It makes it much easier to find and edit when necessary.

Again thanks!!!!
            Marty
            ------

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
              I just wanted to thank everyone who lent a hand and was patient enough to help. While I am still struggling a bit with some of the new to me concepts that were presented I learned something that I found most valuable.

I use scripts for almost all of my speaking events. Some were large some were small. Most were small and as a result I had maybe 50 different tiny scripts that were called.

I had no idea that you could combine these and call individual sections of a script with an option. I know this is a simple thing for you advanced scripting people but it wasn't to me. I would like to specifically thank James for taking the time and showing me the way to do this with a simple example that made it all come clear in my head. I should also apologize to mrhappy, he alluded to the same thing but I wasn't getting it at the time. Sorry about that.

At any rate I've been able to combine those 50 or so scripts down into 5 that have similar or like functions. It makes it much easier to find and edit when necessary.

Again thanks!!!!
              Don't worry about me...i'm constantly learning, I was taught some elements of VB6 in college (that concludes my programming 'education') most of which I have long since forgotten, everything from there my relationship with vb.net seems to be more luck and determination than ability.

Some of the real advanced stuff .net will forever be a mystery to me, everytime I look at anything to do with interopservices or the like I have to go and lie down in a darkened room to get my sanity back..

Comment

yeah, i know that position, i've been in it several times this week. I'm starting to feel like kelly bundy with only limited space for new things.
                Marty
                ------

Comment

You guys make me laugh...

However....consider this....

Most people would say this Homeseer stuff is too complicated, or etc. so just think how far ahead of the crowd you are.

Comment

All things are relative. As poor as I am with scripting my brother in law is worse, I'm his technicial support. Now there's a scary thought.
                    Marty
                    ------

Comment

Working...
                    X