z-wave poll upon sign-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z-wave poll upon sign-in

Homeseer knows whenever a browser connects; the IP address is listed in the Homeseer log. I would like to have Homeseer poll my z-wave devices whenever I connect from my iTouch. This would assure the actual state of the z-wave devices is correctly displayed. Especially for infrequently polled devices.

Is there any way to trigger an event based on the connection of a remote computer or on a log entry of an IP address?

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

You could use the log monitor to monitor the log and then run an event to poll. The log monitor plugin is available here:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ht=log+monitor

There's also BLogMonitor as well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

Thanks, I had forgotten about this plugin you did for me back in 2005! I may still be using it: I'll check. Hopefully it is "low overhead". My system has grown a bit since 2005!

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Yes, it's very low overhead.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          Homeseer knows whenever a browser connects; the IP address is listed in the Homeseer log. I would like to have Homeseer poll my z-wave devices whenever I connect from my iTouch. This would assure the actual state of the z-wave devices is correctly displayed. Especially for infrequently polled devices.
          Steve Q
          Do you think the timing would work out the way you want? When I hit the 'poll devices' button on my system, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the subsequent page to load. I see each node come up as it is polled, and it averages about one per second. I have about 30 devices, give or take a few. I don't think you would have the up to the minute result that you want if you kicked off the poll in the background, then loaded the page on your ipod.

Comment

I would use a script and poll only those devices that I want.

hs.polldevice ("Q4")
            hs.polldevice ("Q6")
            hs.polldevice ("Q7")

I have tried this already for one device and it seemed to work. But, you may be right, it may take too long if there are multiple devices. I guess it depends on how Homeseer assigns priority to scripts compared to webpage refreshes.

I could also add a delay in the script that displays my webpage.

But in some ways it really does not matter because whenever you look at the status of a z-wave device (without instant status), you can't be sure of its status until after you poll it. So if you look at the Homeseer status page now, you have to refresh the page and manually poll the z-wave devices. I was hoping to automate the polling process whenever I viewed the status web page.

Steve Q

Comment

Steve,

It depends on the device. Lights and appliance modules are REALLY fast. Thermostats are somewhere in the neck of 20-30 seconds.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,

The only device I tried happened to be the thermostat. It seemed very fast but I can't be totally sure. When time permits I will setup some test scripts to see how well this concept works.

Thanks,
                Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                X