Actuators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actuators

I'm in the planning stages of building a greenhouse, and I would like to use Homeseer to assist in ventilation. The structure will be approximately 150 feet from my Homeseer box.

I will need to vent this structure during the summertime. The vents will be hinged "windows" in both the roof and the base of one wall. I'm thinking of putting actuators on these hinged vents, but I'm not quite sure how to have Homeseer control the actuator.

I figure I will need a 1-wire temperature and humidity sensor (never done that before!) to inform HS of the conditions inside the greenhouse, then when certain temperatures are reached, HS can either open or close the actuator.

My question is - how do I have HS open or close that actuator? The actuator I'm looking at is a 12v 5a unit that opens when current is applied in one direction, then retracts when the current is reversed. I'm currently looking at this actuator: http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=133. Will the fact that my server is +/- 150' from the actuator cause problems?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

Brian

I have attached a diagram that includes using a DPDT relay. I think I could use this to run the actuator. Now what do I do about power? I run a z-wave network here - I suppose I could use a 12v wall wort plugged into an outdoor module. Is that the best way to go, or are there better, more elegant solutions for bringing power to the party?

Thanks,

Brian
    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure how you would take z-wave there. You could extend your computer network to the green house with a powerline network module or wireless.

I saw this the other day and I wonder if it would help you in your endeavor.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a.../Motors/1.html
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, thanks for your reply - and for the link. I will definitely check that out.

Fortunately, I think the greenhouse will be within range of my z-wave network. It's being built about five feet from my house, but like I said - a good distance from my actual server.

Maybe I'm making a bad assumption here though - I will have z-wave modules in both structures separated by two outside walls and a 5 feet or so of space between the structures. That shouldn't be too far, should it? (I feel like I have a good density of modules in the part of my house that will be close to the greenhouse.)

Brian

Comment

Brian,

This past winter I used outdoor Z-Wave modules for my Christmas decorations and they worked fine. My home is half brick. My primary Z-wave PIM is in the basement behind and in between conduit (testing).

Sounds like you will not have any issues though.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Brian,

This past winter I used outdoor Z-Wave modules for my Christmas decorations and they worked fine. My home is half brick. My primary Z-wave PIM is in the basement behind and in between conduit (testing).

Sounds like you will not have any issues though.
            zwave should be a problem for you. I would try to add a module in the house as close as possible to the greenhouse, and in the greenhouse as close as possible to the house.
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
            X