Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need todo Z wave fan speed control on the cheap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need todo Z wave fan speed control on the cheap.

Hi All,

i need some advice,

We recently had a new addition to the family and have been recomened that we run ceiling fans in the room the baby is sleeping in.

As we have vaulted celings i have to balance on the bed to adjust the fan speed which is a fun task at 3am with only 2.5 hrs of sleep.

I am aware of this product:
    Leviton VRF01-1LZ Vizia RF + 1.5A Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control
    http://www.smarthome-products.com/p-...d-control.aspx

but don't really want to spend 122usd on this right now.

I have a HA06c and a GE 45613 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Three-Way Dimmer Kit
    spare right now and it is currently being switched on off via a HA18c

does anyone have any ideas?

Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

There are several threads that discuss the hazards of using a dimmer switch as a fan controller; it's not recommended.

I use an in line "fixture module" (x10) to control the power before it goes to the manual fan switch. This allows you to still adjust the fan speed manually and simply turn the fan ON/OFF with Homeseer. I find that I rarely change the fan speed. I cannot justify spending $125 to turn the fan ON/OFF.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      There are several threads that discuss the hazards of using a dimmer switch as a fan controller; it's not recommended.

I use an in line "fixture module" (x10) to control the power before it goes to the manual fan switch. This allows you to still adjust the fan speed manually and simply turn the fan ON/OFF with Homeseer. I find that I rarely change the fan speed. I cannot justify spending $125 to turn the fan ON/OFF.

Steve Q
      Great idea Steve,

do you use a wired or wireless speed controller?

Raptor
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

I use one like this except it also has a slide dimmer switch for the up-lights on the fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-27181-F.../dp/B000NSHR8M

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Ok cool,

just got to work out how to change the electrical box from 3 gang to 4 gang.

Raptor

Comment

Steve,

Great find!

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Kinda looking for a way that I can control both my fan and the lights on the fan via homeseer. I actually have two fans I'm wanting to control. One of the fans has two different light controls as well. UL upper light and LL lower light. I did buy the quiet leviton switch but it does not look like it controls the lights, just the fan.
              Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

I have 3 ceiling fans. The 2 upstairs fans are turned ON/OFF by Homeseer as described in my previous post. I manually control the up-lights in these fans via a wall mounted slider. For the fan in my sun-room (same model as the upstairs fans), I use Homeseer to control the up-lights on the fan. I split-off the separate wire to the lights and connected it to an X10 light switch which is controlled by Homeseer. I installed this 3 years ago; it works very well.

Steve Q

Comment

I do virtually the same thing with my fans. When I wired them in I used 12-3 with ground and at the switch box I use a dimmer switch for the light and a relay switch for the fan. they are mostly controlled by temp sensors in the rooms or manually if you must.

I found over the years that it's a rare day when I change the fan speed so there was no real benefit to worrying about trying to automate the speed. The once or twice a year I might do it, pulling the chain was not that big of a deal.
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                  Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X