Google traffic notification via email/SMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google traffic notification via email/SMS

I would like to have HS monitoring the road traffic and notify me if there is an issue on the road that I'm going to drive. Google has a great map tool that I'm using that gives live traffic, I was wondering if they have an API that we could use. Did any of you did something similar?

Thanks,
    Aldo

I don't think they have an API for the traffic...however, I am working on a plug-in for traffic from another source. Hope to have it complete within the next couple of months.

Comment

That would be super, please keep me posted.

Thanks,
      Aldo

Comment

Hi AO!,
        Any updates on the plugin that you were trying to design?

Thanks,
        Aldo

Comment

I would love that plugin too

Originally posted by aldo View Post
          Hi AO!,
          Any updates on the plugin that you were trying to design?

Thanks,
          Aldo
          Best,
          Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

I would love to use a plugin like that as well, I always had thoughts of a 'smart' alarm clock that could have a time range that varied based on the amount of traffic, for example you set what time you need to GET to work, and how long it (normally) takes you to get ready before you have to leave, and it works back and changes your wakeup time depending on that.

So for example say you are looking at getting to work at 9:00am, and it takes you an hour to get ready, and traffic suggested it would be 1 hour to get there, the alarm would go off at 7:00am, if it was going to be 2 hours to get there the alarm would go off at 6:00am.

Any chance the plugin will be able to use international traffic sources, id love to see Melbourne / Victoria, Australia included if possible .
            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

I think one issue with Google traffic is that Google does not offer an API for the plugin. Just drop on the plate, maybe we could ask Google to release the API? Just an idea.

Comment

do you use Android?

If so, you can already do what you are asking through the MAPS widget. Also, you can setup some stuff in Tasker to figure this out as well (I saw an adjustable alarm clock that would wake you up earlier based on traffic information).

--Dan
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,
                  yes I have Droid. You are referencing to google maps correct? how would you use tasker with google traffic? I was actually thinking to have a plugin or script as part of HS that would look at the traffic in the morning and based on the amount of traffic alert me via email, or SMS or other HS supported methods.

Thanks,
                  Aldo

Comment

Whoops...was weather based...sorry:
                    http://tasker.wikidot.com/weather-clock

Yes, I was referring to Google Maps. The widget for it, you drop it down and it'll ask you for an address. Then based on your current location, it'll do a Google Traffic check with directions, and report back a color, RED/Yellow/Green, which is the worst color you would see as part of Google Maps, and it'll report the time it thinks it would take you to get to that address.

I used to use it, but after I got my traffic camera webpage going in HStouch, I don't bother...since the Google Maps information (for my area) appears to be about 10-15 minutes behind. The cameras are...well seconds behind.

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Interesting because google traffic on my area is very accurate, it is so accurate that I know ahead of time when I find traffic and I slow down accordingly. Google takes all drivers GPS and from them they know the traffic in real time.

Comment

interesting. must be my area.

I've looked at GMaps, had RED in areas. Then checked the cameras and it was clear. So, I drove through that area. It always matches the cameras...but as I said, seems like there is about a 15 minute delay otherwise.

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X