Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is the preferred method for serial connections on Windows7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what is the preferred method for serial connections on Windows7?

Is there a clear winner for adding serial ports to a USB only Windows 7 PC?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I prefer the older (purchased either as a refurb or used) USB to Serial devices (even at USB 1.0 speeds).

I had no issues connecting my Digi Edgeports, Lantronics devices or Quatech devices to the Windows 7 setup that I tested. (also a Digi USB anywhere is in that same mix and utilized today for "other" stuff).

My experience though was via utilizing whatever devices in enterprise environments and paying full price for them at the time (it wasn't my monies though and the costs were justified).

My recent but not in production "tested" W7 base (both VM and in a box by itself hardware) consist of 1 usb cable to 1 usb 1.0 7 port hub to 2 digi 8 port USB to serial boxes.

Today I have Homeseer devices hanging off one Digi 7 port USB hub and two Digi USB to serial boxes.

I did test a "legacy" free box (with only USB ports, no serial, parallel ports, keyboard or mouse ports) in the early 2000's and it worked fine at the time with XP and Homeseer.

Look for the old posts of mine referring to a "legacy" free box and running Homeseer 1.7.44 with it; I believe they are still here somewhere.
    Last edited by Pete; May 4, 2011, 05:34 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i've got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edgeport-4-4-Por...item2c5c32c631

and two that are 8 port. win 7 does great w/them.

ian
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I agree with Pete. My Win7 HS machine has two 8-Port Edgeports connected, managing 10 serial devices including my Z-Troller, NetCallerID, a BetaBrite sign, TEMP05, etc. I also have a Quatech 4-port LAN-to-Serial adapter that is using two ports (a second Z-Troller and another LED sign). It all works great under Win7.

Steve

Comment

Excellent and thanks. I have an edge port 4 that I haven't used in a while that I will try. I need more ports but will start with this Edge Port 4 on this shuttle and see how it reacts.

Comment

yeah im using an edgeport 4 port and 2 port..... was putting hs on windows 7 and they worked just fine... but back on whs.... still they worked great...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Excellent and thanks. I have an edge port 4 that I haven't used in a while that I will try. I need more ports but will start with this Edge Port 4 on this shuttle and see how it reacts.
              So Rupp:

Does this mean you are going to take the dive and give HS a try on Win7? I think it would be great if you guys started more regularly using it on Win7, now that others of us are on Win7. I'm beyond the point of "you should stay with XP" being much help. If HSTech can see the same way I am seeing, I think the communications will be better.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                So Rupp:

Does this mean you are going to take the dive and give HS a try on Win7? I think it would be great if you guys started more regularly using it on Win7, now that others of us are on Win7. I'm beyond the point of "you should stay with XP" being much help. If HSTech can see the same way I am seeing, I think the communications will be better.

Steve

since wenders 8 will be out soon.... id hope they would move beyond XP (to which yes xp is still good but windows 7 fixed the hate that vista gave) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I use Quatech serial over IP servers.

Comment

I agree with Pete. My Win7 HS machine has two 8-Port Edgeports connected, managing 10 serial devices including my Z-Troller, NetCallerID, a BetaBrite sign, TEMP05, etc. I also have a Quatech 4-port LAN-to-Serial adapter that is using two ports (a second Z-Troller and another LED sign). It all works great under Win7.

Steve
                    Has anyone found a device that DOESN'T work with an Edgeport?

Comment

So Rupp:

Steve
                      Yes, I loaded Windows 7 on my new Shuttle and have loaded HomeSeer Pro but it's going to be a slow process. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
                        Has anyone found a device that DOESN'T work with an Edgeport?
                        heh - everything seems to work on an edgeport
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

My Edgeport 4 and 8 port device likes

1. COM port numbers remain same even as you move the USB plug among ports. Not so many USB devices and the generic Microsoft drivers.

2. RS232 DTR/RTS/CTS/DCD and so on actually work.

The only devices that may not work are some old stuff that uses milisecond pulsing of RS232 port bits (non-data) to simulate something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            Is there a clear winner for adding serial ports to a USB only Windows 7 PC?
                            Quatech for some things and a couple of radio shack overpriced USB to serial converters for others.

Really like the converters. Work great for upb pim and russound. Have had some issues with quatech (esp with w800)

-sphiend

Comment

Originally posted by sphiend View Post
                              Have had some issues with quatech (esp with w800)

-sphiend
                              What kind of problems may I ask? I just ordered a w800, and was planning to attach it to my Quatech.

Comment

Working...
                              X