Weird - Signal but nothing works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird - Signal but nothing works

This is a strange one. HS is working fine. My system is 90% X10 with a few ZWave devices. I have a ESM1 Signal Meter and use Ocelot for my interface. Signal bridge in breaker box

Nothing works. Absolutely nothing. I'm seeing a good signal but no lamps will work at all. I powered off everything and reset the signal bridge.

This has me really confused. Signal is there. Any thoughts?

John

Not using much X10 these days and don't use Zwave but... I assume the Zwave is still working and it's only the X10 that is broken? If that's the case I'd be looking at whatever is sending out X10 commands. Signal doesn't always mean that the proper codes have been received, only that something of a certain signal level has been detected. If it's a garbled command sent out, signal would still be there but nothing that can operate a device.

Hope that makes sense to you.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I "used" to test with both an ESM meter and an old Radio Shack X-10 controller moving from area to area in the home. This would give me a base relating to function of the X10 PIM and various signals. I do similiar today with UPB having one floater that I attach to my laptop and not used for anything but diagnostics.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

had a similar issue this week

I had rebuilt my HS server on Windows 7. Make sure that you turn off USB power saving, as well as making sure that you dont have plugins with overlapping com ports. Some plugins such as USBUIRT dont allow you to set the com port. Also, I would power off the homeseer system, and unplug the Ocelot's X10 interface for about a minute, then plug everything back in and power on your HS server.. Something in the above steps cleared up my issue. I really think it was unplugging then plugging back in the X10 interface that fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
          Nothing works. Absolutely nothing. I'm seeing a good signal but no lamps will work at all.
          This has me really confused. Signal is there. Any thoughts?
          What do you have that will generate an X10 signal on the power line other than your PIM? Do you see signals from any of those? Are they able to control any of your devices? Does HS/Ocelot see the signals?
          If you plug in a lamp module on the same circuit as the PIM does it still fail to respond?
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Bummer. I removed my Ocelot and tried a ACT TI103. Log says it established communication but no signal goes out at all.

Next I tried a CM11A. That one puts out a small (2 bar) signal but no modules will respond at all.

I'm pretty well stuck. I never switched over from X10 completely. When you have hundreds invested in modules, it's hard to just throw it all away for a new stock of much more expensive modules. I guessed once that it would cost over $1000 to replace it all.

Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

I missed the other responses to my original post. X10 has been operating (mostly) perfectly since around 1995. HS since 2005 and this particular machine for about 3 years. Everything was pretty smooth until last night when the lights didn't come on. I restarted HS and noted the window candles on. Thought it was OK. This morning I saw the living room lamp on. Then it occurred to me that the candles are ZWave.

Nothing at all has changed that I'm aware of.

Comment

try plugging in a lamp module int othe same outlet as the CM11A, that close it should be enough to trigger the module as long as your sending out something that can be read by it.
                Marty
                ------
                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Back to Ocelot. Any idea why hspi_ADIOcelot.exe is running 98% CPU? It's also getting exceptions about the device state file not being writable.

As an aside with this, if I have to replace the Ocelot, what would you all recommend?

Comment

The ocelot has a log comm debug option. If you are polling variables often then it will soak up CPU.

The most likely thing to happen with X10 in general is that a new piece of electronics has been plugged in somewhere and this has a noisy power supply. Similarly an existing piece of electronics power supply is failing such as a noise suppression cap going bad.

Use your circuit breaker panel to remove circuits to help isolate.

For a test you can install xapmcsCM11A and connect it to a CM11A. The IO page has the ability to send individual commands and the window shows the low level byte communications to/from the CM11A.

Comment

Sounds like a UPS or something is sucking up your X10 signal. The X10 5 AMP filters are priced reasonably.

Personally I installed an XTB amplifier to blast the X10 signal. I still have a lot of X-10 around (combo Insteon switches) and the HAI OPII panel only talks X10 to the Insteon switches.

You can add a cheap CM11A to the XTB and it'll do the job.

The primary I use is the TW-523 with the XTB, secondarily I use an Insteon PLM and third I utilize the CM11A.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm thinking along the same lines as Uncle Michael. If you have some other X10 generator (I keep one of the old minicontrollers just for this purpose), you can systematically walk around the house and see where (what breaker circuit) you can generate signals that you can and cannot see in other circuits. To do it right, you actually need to isolate the other curcuits by turning off their breakers, which can be a real pain.

I only use a few X10 modules any more, but used to have lots. I found that there were two general types of problem devices that messed everything up. As others have pointed out, one of them is something that generates noise in the 120kHz range that X10 uses. Older appliances with motors (fridge, washer, dishwasher, etc.) are especially bad about this. The thing is, if you don't see the noise in your meter this one seems less likely.

The other problem is signal "sinks". These don't drown out the 120kHz signal, but rather absorb the signal strength like grounding out a battery. I've seen some of the better UPS's are the worst in this regard, but some simple surge protectors I used to have were pretty bad too.

Steve

EDIT: I didn't see my buddy Pete's reply before I posted. Obviously, I agree!

Comment

The last place you look. It was the signal bridge in my breaker box. I killed it and everything's working.

You were right guys. Something was killing the signal. Probably my old Ocelot was fine but it's gone now. I'll use the TI 130.

Ordering a new bridge and spare TI 130. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                          X