Newbie help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie help

I'm new to HA but have used SageTV for years to control my multimedia at home (translation, I don't mind tinkering with things to get them work).

As I'm investigating Homeseer and other options, I'm overwhelmed by all the choices and options. Particularly for Homeseer I am worried about the complexity of wiring my home lighting (I have many 3way switches) and how to best manage and plan the switches, scene buttons, and the like.

Is there a manual or online video that shows me how to install these (or better yet, how to plan which components I need)? It's the planning and decisions around which switches I need that is as overwhelming as the installation itself.

This board is a great resource, but it's not very concise....

Look forward to any recommendations you all have.

Originally posted by Xiphoid View Post
    I'm new to HA but have used SageTV for years to control my multimedia at home (translation, I don't mind tinkering with things to get them work).
    Welcome. Tolerance for tinkering will be very useful.

As I'm investigating Homeseer and other options, I'm overwhelmed by all the choices and options. Particularly for Homeseer I am worried about the complexity of wiring my home lighting (I have many 3way switches) and how to best manage and plan the switches, scene buttons, and the like.

Is there a manual or online video that shows me how to install these (or better yet, how to plan which components I need)? It's the planning and decisions around which switches I need that is as overwhelming as the installation itself.
    I've seen some guides in the past, but they weren't very useful, and the technology has pretty much made them obsolete. It also depends on the technology you choose.

In general, though, wiring for lights is not likely to be a big issue. The only requirement that most technologies impose is that the switches need a neutral wire. IMO the best approach is to wire your lights as if they were not going to be automated. X10, UPB, and Z-wave all work without special wiring topology, so they can simply replace a conventional switch.

I think the approach that has been most productive for others is to ask questions here. The more specific the question, the more likely you are to get a constructive answer. The community is very eager to 'show off' and help, and I think you will find it a pretty friendly and helpful place.

If you haven't already, you should read through the new user threads in the sub forum to this one as a guide and an indication of the kind of responses other have received to their questions. You might also find the CocoonTech site to be helpful.

Most important, remember to have fun. Take it slowly and build on experience. You will be surprised at how quickly the pieces will start to come together.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

also some good reading can be found by clicking "help" then "homeseer help files" from the web interface page.

if it's not there, it can be found at http://www.homeseer.com/support/home...2/homeseer.htm

also some good stuff at http://homeseer.com/support/tutorials.htm

Ian
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to run my Homeseer system on my current computer which already acts as a 24/7 SageTV server, or alternatively purchase one of the purpose-built Homeseer controllers.

Can anyone tell me if I can run the SageTV plug-in if I go with the Homeseer controller vs. loading the software on my existing SageTV server? I want to integrate the two systems tightly, so if I can't integrate with the separate controller, I'd probably go with the software solution instead.

Comment

Working...
        X