X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google getting into Home Automation?

Saw this on phonescoop:

posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Google today debuted two significant expansions of its Android platform. The first is called Android@Home, which, in conjunction with newly available developer tools, will allow application writers to create programs that can connect everyday home items to their Android device and control them. For example, Google envisions that people will be able to control the lights, major appliances, and other home electronics from their Android devices. Google said the first products compatible with Android@Home will hit store shelves later this year. Google also announced the Android Open Accessory program. This program will let developers create applications that more fully interact with and control accessories. For example, Google demonstrated how a PS3-style game controller can be hooked directly into an Android device for better gaming. Google also made the tools necessary for Open Accessory available to developers today. Google didn't provide a timeline as to when consumers can expect these services/applications to become widely available.

from Google
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I saw this too, and while more players in the market should lead us in the right direction, I am none too happy that such innovations from Google are likely to come in a form where more and more of my data, personal habits, and etc. privacy data must be shared with them in order to get all the nice to have "features." Such features, that most of the sheep-like public will consume and happily give away their rights to get, can easily end in a situation where the smaller players, like Homeseer, are eventually pushed out of the market. I really would like to see more companies banding together and getting behind open, ethical standards such that this privacy issue never comes to pass, but I am probably wishing in vain.

So I have mixed thoughts on this development...It could be great, but could be very, very, very bad.

Comment

..."Android@Home, which, in conjunction with newly available developer tools, will allow application writers to create programs that can connect everyday home items to their Android device.."

Funny but we can do this now I wonder which lighting protocol they will push if any?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

They will sell you on nice features like the long envisioned kitchen that makes a shopping list and knows when this or that is running out, and etc. but of course at the price that companies like Google who provide the "service," get to know every brand you use, and etc.

Comment

While i would love built in connectivity in my Fridge and microwave, its a pity they are using their own protocol when the market has plenty of good ones to pick from.
          HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
          53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
          https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
            While i would love built in connectivity in my Fridge and microwave, its a pity they are using their own protocol when the market has plenty of good ones to pick from.
            They are going to open source the protocol, hoping it will be more widely adopted.

I find their method interesting in that it seems they are putting the network interface in the bulb rather than in the switch. This makes installation as easy as...well screwing in a light bulb (especially if they hit the price points mentioned in the article).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20061566-54.html

As a programmer I can tell you the buzz is clearly around Android for mobile. With Google making a push into HA, and Android/Chrome running on phones, tablets, and PCs, this is only a good thing for HA in general. The more competition the better.

Comment

I just hope somebody (HST?) makes a Android@Home plugin for HomeSeer...
              HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                They will sell you on nice features like the long envisioned kitchen that makes a shopping list and knows when this or that is running out, and etc. but of course at the price that companies like Google who provide the "service," get to know every brand you use, and etc.
                I think Google could help raise awareness of home automation which could be a very good thing. I also don't think they are a threat to Homeseer. I think they could easily become a partner/colaborator with a bunch of current players in home automation. Google brings massive database and networking skills to the table. They already have a starting position in the smart grid/energy management area, and I could see the "smart light bulb" as a natural extension of their smart grid activities. I envision things like a "lights off" program where you could sign up for a free service where they would turn your smart lights off after midnight. Or perhaps a security lighting scheme where they could turn your lights on at random times from sunset to sunrise. But I see these as "opt in" kinds of activities. Those who are concerned about privacy will elect not to participate.

I could also see them enter into partnerships with major grocery store chains. There are already iphone apps that read bar codes and provide best price alternatives and alternate avaliblity options. Google could easily develop home inventory, best pricing, and purchase reminder programs based on bar code scans via an android phone or via grocery purchase data downloaded from an android equipped shopping cart, etc.

The possibilities are endless. Having a company like Google involved in home automation is a good thing!

Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                X