Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Bell press, take picture

Hi Guys,

I have a ds10 on the doorbell that has been told to take a netcam pciture and email it to me, but there seems to be some kind of lag i guess to the netcam and i rarely get a good shot due to the timing.

Has anyone else has this issue?

Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Most of the time when someone rings the door bell they stand at the door for a while. Are you missing the person completely?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

some times yes, sometimes no,

The UPS and Fedex guys are the hardest to catch, but even people coming to visit are hard to get a shot of.

Raptor
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
        some times yes, sometimes no,

The UPS and Fedex guys are the hardest to catch, but even people coming to visit are hard to get a shot of.

Raptor
        Hum... I'm not sure of a way to speed up the taking of the pic other than CPU but maybe adding a motion sensor looking down on your entry and trigger on that may help.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I have my set up hard wired and it seems to work pretty well (with little or no lag).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm not sure it's the DS10A that's causing the lag though. When I push my door bell HomeSeer instantly announces "Doorbell". May try putting an announcement ahead of the camera snapshot and see how long it takes to speak.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

I assumed it is the wireless netcam's being slow.

I have a hawkeye also taking shots to try that and that didn't help much, they seem to be early or late.

CPU should not be an issue because my atom to i5 upgrade is now complete and everyhting is smoother.

Comment

is it possible to take a series of photos and then email you? What abouts if you manually trigger the event do you get a delay then? UPS round here are not known for staying round long anyway, by the time it takes me to get from the bedroom to the door they are usually half way to the next delivery...

Comment

I just checked the DS10's/W800's and the response is instant. I do see wireless camera issues versus the wired camera stuff. Mostly the wireless speeds fluctuate. Not sure which HS methodology works the fastest; whether using a direct snapshot or netcam. I do multiple cam pics / videos of the door bell ringing and I see the delivery activities OK.

IE: one event triggers wave sound, motion event, TTS and three analogue wired camera sets of pictures. I am using netcam for these shots. (IE: next to door cam, driveway cam and house cam).
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                  HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I have tried to take more than one shot, but it seems the shot i need is just before the first one! I suppose i could take a shot every second and then take one before the trigger time.

Do you know if the nextcam plugin can timestamp the images?

I might see if the response is quicker using a wired not wireless.

Raptor

Comment

I second the wired versus the wireless as being the issue. Came across this myself.

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Here's an annoying bird pecking at the camera. (this triggered some motion events on HS). Two of the birds are trying to build a nest.

This is motion though; not snapshots.

The motion events though saved are actually a rewind and playback of the event. The video is always recording on the DVR. For an event the actual saved video goes back a second or two before the motion event was recorded; thus you get a recording of the whole event.

Netcam saves the files with a date and time; except for most recent one. The most recent one gets rewritten though.

I also do manual get pictures with:

Code:
                        Sub Main(parm as object)

Dim S As Object = hs.GetURLImage ("http://IPOFIPCAM","/cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=single&monitor=8&scale=100&user=username&pass=userpassword",false,80,"html/images/wunderground/image.jpg")

End Sub
                        I'm thinking though as others; if you run an snapshot event with the DS10; the lag; response time of what you see is directly related to how long the the person stands by the front door. If its a fast delivery person; you won't catch as much with the cam. The snapshots; no matter how fast the PC cannot go "back to the future"

Here is what the Netcam directory looks like:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2011, 02:22 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                        X