Building a new shop... 350 feet away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a new shop... 350 feet away...

So I'm finally building my dream shop, 40x60 with 18 foot ceilings, HVAC, two car lifts, welding area, machine shop, etc. My opportunity is that it's about 350 feet away from the main house. Needs for the building will be Zwave, Security, and a security camera. My WLAN will reach that far fine, I think the caddx wireless stuff will too. That leaves Zwave and the camera. I suppose wifi cam will work but not so sure about the Zwave, any suggestions?

thanks!
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

You, sir are my new hero.
    I'm building a 30x20 barn for my outdoor toys.

You might want to add an additional Z-Troller with an IP to Serial converter and use it as a secondary controller?
    HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      You, sir are my new hero.
      I'm building a 30x20 barn for my outdoor toys.

You might want to add an additional Z-Troller with an IP to Serial converter and use it as a secondary controller?
      We'll see if I'm still hero material after all the $$ go out... Turn key quote was 120K, sooo.. I'm doing most of it myself except the concrete. second Z-troller makes sense, I was trying to avoid running conduit between the buildings but it will be worth it just to run 3" PVC and have it for whatever I need.
      HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

When I built an out building - somewhat more modest than yours, unfortunately - I ran electric, 2 cat5, and 2 coax. If I did it again, I'd run twice as much cat5 and an empty conduit with a pull cord installed. Compared to the cost of other items, a trench is relatively inexpensive, and the folks who put in your foundation will probably do it for a modest extra charge, since they'll have the back hoe there already. Although I did use one cat5 to extend my LAN, the other is also totally consumed - with tasks I didn't anticipate at all. My motto: you can never have too much cat5.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

"you can never have too much cat5."

One of the truest statements I have heard. When I moved into my new house I had access to get some Cat5 and coax run from my upstairs to the downstairs because we were doing a remodel of a couple of areas, so in the 2 areas I could get too I ran 2 coax and 10 Cat5 to each location. It MAY be enough, at least for the near term!

Comment

One thing to keep in mine, wire as in cat5 ect. is lighting prone even when buried under ground.

Best to use fiber (Zip cord) and converters on either end.
            -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
            Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
            HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
            W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

My shop/garage is only 100' away, but my barn is 450' from there. I ran conduit with 2 cat5 and 2 coax 15 years ago to the shop. I later pulled a 3rd cat5 and should have done a couple of more. I ran conduit and 2 cat5s to the barn last year.

I would put in large enough conduit to make pulling easier. I know X10 is old and unreliable for many, but it continues to work for me, even out to the barn. I've not had luck extending the z-wave from the house to the garage and will need to do a second z-troller when the time comes.

Just curious, what are you doing in the shop. Two lifts sounds like serious car or truck work. Would love to have just one.

Barry

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions ya'll. Sounds like hard cabling is the answer, no worries, I'll either get the foundation guys to dig or rent a ditchwitch. Lightning protection is a must, learned that when I was still using the HS PCI modem. lighning would come in the phone line, through the server, and out to other devices (like the thermostat) frying everything is it's path. I use opto-isolators on all RS232 stuff now and have ground blocks for telco and other external wiring.

Shop will primarily be used for restoring/working on cars. I've always been a car nut but so far have always sold completed projects to pay for new ones. I've decided I want to keep them now so will be starting the collection! I'm also getting tired of/too old for bench-pressing transmissions in with the cars on jack stands, kills my back. I'm doing two lifts because I want a two post chassis lift for most work but also want a drive-on for alignments and car storage.

The red rocket is is my most recent major project, car was gutted back to the frame, very little stock parts left.. Picked up a old 740i a couple months ago and will be doing some suspension work as soon as the shop is done. I have a facebook poll running right now asking what my next project should be as I can't decide. Love to get some input from you guys! This would be a restore back to factory, no mods

1) Model T or A ford
                2) Early 911
                3) Reeealy early VW bug, like late fifties.
                Attached Files

Comment

That car is SO cool. I now completely understand the over the top shop.

When I built my shop, which is about 300 feet from my wiring closet, I ran two two inch PVC pipes in the trench from the Barn to the house. I then used a couple of cat5E runs, one for the phone and one for LAN. If it was feasible, I would have just run fiber, as we have some nasty thunder storms here in Western Montana.

My project is a mid engine Corvair... doesn't hold a candle your red car. Again; very cool.
                  Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                    That car is SO cool. I now completely understand the over the top shop.

When I built my shop, which is about 300 feet from my wiring closet, I ran two two inch PVC pipes in the trench from the Barn to the house. I then used a couple of cat5E runs, one for the phone and one for LAN. If it was feasible, I would have just run fiber, as we have some nasty thunder storms here in Western Montana.

My project is a mid engine Corvair... doesn't hold a candle your red car. Again; very cool.
                    Thanks man! Definitely a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (and cash)! The Corvair sounds like a great project! I don't know that I'll do as much custom stuff in the future, really driven to do "back to showroom" type restorations. Red rocket is fun to drive but not for more than a hour or so. Aluminum racing seats, 750lb springs in the front, poly bushings, manual steering, etc make for a fast ride but not so comfy. lol

Comment

As much as I love my Great Uncle's Model A...ya gotta love the early 911's.

My vote is the 911.

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X