Advice needed - please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed - please

I am looking at installing automation in my home and would like some advice/comments if possible please - apologies in advance for all the questions, just have spent so long looking into this and am still unsure of route to go and don't want to waste money buying the wrong things

Firstly I am in the UK - as this I suspect will affect some of the answers

This is what I would like to achieve and where I am so far:-

Hardware/Software - thinking about homeseer or hometroller - hence why posting in this forum! - may go for the hometroller but also considering building my own little mini PC for homeseer to run on

Lighting - want to control some lights in my house, can I just replace switches with z-wave or x-10 light switches? if so what are best ones

Sound - want to have sound in at least two rooms controllable from same place as all other automation items - so was thinking perhaps either Sonos or fitting myself ceiling speakers with an amp connected to hometroller (or PC running homeseer) - want to be able to play mp3's from itunes and also send sound from PS3 when watching blueray movies or playing
    games - thoughts? better solutions?

Cameras - want outside and inside cameras again controllable from one place - was thinking IP cameras probably wireless for this?

Security - may also add movement (PIR) sensors to be used to trigger cameras recording and also perhaps to turn lights on/off - if this is possible?

Heating - want to be able to control my oil fired central heating and monitor temperatures inside and out- bit confused as to how I do this, can I somehow link something to my existing heating controls (Honeywell ST6400C) such as a z-wave thermostat - if so how is it done and recommendations on what to buy

Would like to be able to speak commands and also for it to be able to speak back to announce things etc

Finally would like to control it all from PC and iPad - so was thinking HSTouch with plugins etc to work with all above items

Want to try and acheive this without spending a fortune - it is only a small two bedroom bungalow

Comments/Advice please.......

Originally posted by wingers View Post
    I am looking at installing automation in my home and would like some advice/comments if possible please
    I'm skipping some items because I have no experience with UK alternatives.

- want to have sound in at least two rooms controllable from same place as all other automation items - so was thinking perhaps either Sonos or fitting myself ceiling speakers with an amp connected to hometroller (or PC running homeseer) - want to be able to play mp3's from itunes and also send sound from PS3 when watching blueray movies or playing
    games - thoughts? better solutions?
    Sonos is a good candidate. You might also want to consider Squeezebox.

- want outside and inside cameras again controllable from one place - was thinking IP cameras probably wireless for this?
    I agree. They work well and are easy to access.

- may also add movement (PIR) sensors to be used to trigger cameras recording and also perhaps to turn lights on/off - if this is possible?
    X10 RF PIRs are inexpensive and work quite well (in conjunction with HS) for this purpose. Interfacing with your IP cameras will probably require an interface to separate camera recording software, such as Webcam XP/7 or a Unix package.

- want to be able to control my oil fired central heating and monitor temperatures inside and out- bit confused as to how I do this, can I somehow link something to my existing heating controls (Honeywell ST6400C) such as a z-wave thermostat - if so how is it done and recommendations on what to buy
    Most communicating thermostats can be used as a direct replacement for a conventional thermostat. Just be sure the one you choose has the same inputs as your present TStat.

Would like to be able to speak commands and also for it to be able to speak back to announce things etc
    HS is well equipped to do that, especially the speaking back. There are technical limitations still to voice recognition, but if you are willing to live with the limits of current technology I understand it can work acceptably.

Finally would like to control it all from PC and iPad - so was thinking HSTouch with plugins etc to work with all above items
    HSTouch is a great interface. There's a significant learning curve, and you'll encounter some unexpected issues, but once resolved I think you'll find it a really impressive interface tool.

Want to try and acheive this without spending a fortune - it is only a small two bedroom bungalow
    Don't we all! The biggest problem is leaving the system alone. There are always new toys to buy and integrate. I daresay we've all started small, but many of us have let automation get a bit out of control.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      Sonos is a good candidate. You might also want to consider Squeezebox.
      Does HomeSeer have a plugin or way to control squeezebox? is this the logitech squeezebox?

Most communicating thermostats can be used as a direct replacement for a conventional thermostat. Just be sure the one you choose has the same inputs as your present TStat.
      I don't currently have a room thermostat, hence my confusion as to how it connects - currently I have the timer mentioned and thermostats on each radiator

Don't we all! The biggest problem is leaving the system alone. There are always new toys to buy and integrate. I daresay we've all started small, but many of us have let automation get a bit out of control.
      Yes I can certainly understand that - would like to start without spending too much but can already see dozens of other ideas and things I could automate - just don't want to make a mistake this early buying the wrong items

Comment

For heating I only had a timer also (Honeywell one, can't remember the model), it was only really a digital timer that sent commands to the central heating (I had no independent CH/HW controls) to start heating. I just took it off the wall (it was in a cupboard) and then wired it so that the heating now operated on a plug, then plugged this into an X10 appliance module so I then get X10 central heating.

For temperature sensors I have a slightly different solution in that I have a board (http://www.quasarelectronics.com/314...ata-logger.htm) and have temp sensors connected to it and then read those into HS. HS then controls the heating depending on certain conditions.

Comment

Does HomeSeer have a plugin or way to control squeezebox? is this the logitech squeezebox?
          Yes, and yes. The SB plug-in is a very good one, too. I've been using it for a few months and am really impressed with both the hardware and the plug-in.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, and yes. The SB plug-in is a very good one, too. I've been using it for a few months and am really impressed with both the hardware and the plug-in.
            Thanks Michael

May I ask what squeezebox you are using? the only reason I may go Sonos route is that it is an all-in-one device with speakers, whereas most of the squeezebox's seem to need to connect to separate speakers apart from the squeezebox radio

Comment

I don't currently have a room thermostat, hence my confusion as to how it connects - currently I have the timer mentioned and thermostats on each radiator
              At it's most basic, a thermostat is just a switch. Until relatively recently, a thermostat was just a bimetallic piece that either made or broke contact depending on how much it bent in response to the temperature of the air around it. Now, of course, that function has been replaced by a relay and electronics in all but the most basic of thermostats. In the end, though, what the thermostat is doing is turning a circuit on or off, just as your timer does.

One approach - the one mrhappy describes - is to let HS be your thermostat. You just put a relay in place of the timer and let HS turn it on or off using whatever criteria you consider to be relevant: Time of day; Temperature of the room; outside temperature; whether you are home or not, etc. If temperature of the room is a factor (seems like it ought to be) then you need a way for HS to know what it is. There are lots of ways to do that, but there's a project in it.

Another approach, if your timer is located where the air temperature is typical of the room, is to simply replace your timer with a thermostat. Leave HS out of it entirely. In that case, you'd just connect the two wires that now connect to the timer, to the thermostat (in the US they're usually designated by color, red and white). If the timer is in an out of the way plaice, then you'd probably have to run wires to a more central location. (Another project.)

Finally, if you want to use a fancy communicating thermostat, you'd do the same thing, but spend lots more for a thermostat that can be controlled by HS. Keep in mind, also, that you also have to have the 'infrastructure' to connect the thermostat to HS. Z-wave offers a wireless method that may be attractive if running wires is a problem, but you'll need to have the receiver within range and connected to HS. (If you plan to use Z-wave to control your lights, then this option is even more attractive.) There are also a variety of hardwired models - I use Tstats made by RCS, but I don't know what's available in the UK.

Comment

You might want to look at this thread for a EU Thermostat: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...613#post972613

Comment

Thank you for all your advice - will look further into what has been suggested

Comment

Thanks Michael

May I ask what squeezebox you are using? the only reason I may go Sonos route is that it is an all-in-one device with speakers, whereas most of the squeezebox's seem to need to connect to separate speakers apart from the squeezebox radio
                    I am using a Boom and a Radio from Squeezebox and both work great with the plugin.
                    Overall i prefer the Boom.

Raptor
                    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Sorry, I missed your post. I have two SB Classics and a SB Radio.

You are correct, except for the Boom and the Radio, the others are designed as input devices into an amp/speaker setup. In my case I already had a whole-house system, so the Classic was ideal. I particularly appreciate the quality of the D/A converters. I have no experience with the Boom, but the SB Radio is basically an internet enabled bedside radio/alarm. Sound quality is acceptable, but not great.

I have heard good things about the Sonos system, but have never tried it out. What attracted me to a component system was the ability to tailor the speakers (and in some cases the amp) for each location. So, in my case, the distinction favored SB.

Comment

Working...
                      X