Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB interface vs standalone router interfaced unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB interface vs standalone router interfaced unit?

I'm looking for my first home automation unit. Just purchased a Hawking HRGZ1 without doing sufficient research. It appears this thing has a monthly service fee and really isn't all that slick.

so i'm back to square one. thinking probably a micasaverde vera, but it looks like many units now are usb interfaces to a computer. What's the advantage to that? I'd rather not have a dedicated computer to run the system, from my perspective it would be more convenient to have a unit that just plugs into my wifi router (via the ethernet cable)

You get what you paid for but I would go ahead and give the Vera a test drive. It may work and then again it may not. I'm not sure why you do not want an always on PC but if it's a power/green thing you should check out the HomeTroller and the HomeTroller SE.
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-C81.aspx
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by upjeeper View Post
      I'm looking for my first home automation unit. . . .I'd rather not have a dedicated computer to run the system, from my perspective it would be more convenient to have a unit that just plugs into my wifi router (via the ethernet cable)
      As 'non-computer' devices become ever more sophisticated, the distinction between a dedicated HA device and an always on computer is closing fast. I run HomeSeer on an Eee Box PC. Power consumption is low, it's compact and quiet.

One of the biggest advantages I see for using a PC is that it makes your system open-ended. There is virtually no limit to what it can do. Most dedicated devices are inherently bounded, and because they are proprietary, any additional capabilities depend on the manufacturer. (Of course, some might see a bounded system as advantageous. HomeSeer does invite overindulgence in automation, and it can become an expensive diversion. )

Given that you are asking on this board, I'm assuming you are still considering HS as an option. I think the main consideration is how well defined and circumscribed your automation goals are. If you can say with certainty what you want to do and that you will never want to do more, then it probably makes sense to look for a device that will do exactly what you want. If you are like most of us here, and you are never satisfied that your system is complete, then HS is a very compelling option.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
      X