No announcement yet.

Implications of HS's plugin source code licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont this make people think twice about buying either existing or new plugins (are HS going to be developing new plugins? Is the focus just going to be core software and the 'big players' ie HSTouch etc), i'm not sure i'd be happy buying a plugin from HS with the thought in the back of my mind that i'd either be abandoned or end up having to pay $100 to buy the source and upgrade it myself. Not a moan, just a thought - I know nothing lasts forever and HS has finite resources...

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
      I believe that Rich's comment pretty much confirms what I was saying. I don't blame him / HST for having to do this. I just think we all need to be aware of what it means, and perhaps pay attention to what he didn't say: The existing plug-in will remain on sale, people will probably buy it, and they don't plan any future work on them.
      Steve
      If HST is going to continue to sell a binary version of an unsupported plugin alongside it's source code, then shouldn't HST at least note in the store that said binary version is unsupported?

Going forward, personally I would never buy an unsupported binary plugin as I would rather pay incrementally more for the source so I can build and fix it myself.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
        If HST is going to continue to sell a binary version of an unsupported plugin alongside it's source code, then shouldn't HST at least note in the store that said binary version is unsupported?

Going forward, personally I would never buy an unsupported binary plugin as I would rather pay incrementally more for the source so I can build and fix it myself.

Don
        Dang...where is the 'like' button on this page?

Comment

Maybe a FAQ is in order regarding the source code licensing model? For example, I want to know the intent of the license and how it is enforced. Can I buy the source and make it available to other HS developers who want to contribute to a joint development effort? Does each developer on the team need to licence the code? To support group development, version control will be necessary, so what are the restrictions as to how code may be shared? Can the code be put for example in a GIT repo online and managed the way open source Linux or Android is today?

Basically as soon as you distribute source to devepers who share a common interest (versus selling source to customers that are building competing products) the natural tendency for the community of developers will be to collaborate in order to eliminate bugs, improve features, etc., beyond what the individual developer can achieve. And in the end, wouldn't it be better to see one jointly developed plugin in the HST store which is exemplary rather than five independently developed versions of the same plugin of likely lesser quality and/or features?

My point is that releasing the source is awesome (believe me, I am NOT griping!) but now we need guidelines and/or tools to support joint development (covering both the case where the resulting plugin is to be used soley by the contributing authors/licencees, and also the case where this team of developers decides to distribute the resulting binary through the HST store.

Regards,
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            Wont this make people think twice about buying either existing or new plugins (are HS going to be developing new plugins? Is the focus just going to be core software and the 'big players' ie HSTouch etc), i'm not sure i'd be happy buying a plugin from HS with the thought in the back of my mind that i'd either be abandoned or end up having to pay $100 to buy the source and upgrade it myself. Not a moan, just a thought - I know nothing lasts forever and HS has finite resources...
            my post will be all over the road but hey... try and keep up with all the talking in my head.. bet u cant!!!!

after reading this entire thread.. im now not in any hurry to buy the Onkyo plugin....

If I have to wait for HS3.. then so be it.... This is just a hobby for me.. I put my high school mud truck back on the road yesterday.. wife gave me an ear full... how much is this going to cost us? how much is it going to cost to fix any safety things, blah blah blah.... end result I have a limited play fund (paypal).. and homeseer and plugins have taken from the truck fund.. good though i will say....

but for $30 for a plugin that im not really going to use.. like ultralog and some others im not using right now.... (blicon and blfloorplan installed but not configured)

then getting back to plugins... yes I understand people need to get paid for their hard work and support on their plugins... My highest thanks goes to Jon00 and Blade... Love their plugins and general hobbyist to the master hobbyist....
            however.. with a limited fund I bought blicon and blfloorplan well before it was on HS updater... and looking now.. i cant pay $30 per plugin....

so when HS3 comes out.. yes ill sit back and most likely get HS Pro if they sell it... hopefully it will cover most of my plugin needs (onkyo page states hspro does not include that one).....

eons ago before i bought hs 2... i was torn between HS and HAL 2000.... but im not a programmer and HAL seemed like you need to know what your doing.... so i went with HS and have loved it ever since...
            at one point when HS was stable for me i had so much running great... many quickview.asp pages, motions, light triggers and all sorts of stuff...
            now im running maybe 25% of what i used to... no time to get it all working correctly....
            but frankly if it is gonna cost me alot... ill just pull everything out and get rid of it all and just not use any HA... lessen one hobby.. remember this is a hobby.. i get hit by a truck tomorrow my wife will not need anyone to come over and figure out how to turn the coffee pot on and off.....

just remember HS please remember us lil guys here...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
              Maybe a FAQ is in order regarding the source code licensing model?
              2nd that.

The speculation is running free, and the official silence on this topic is becoming quite loud.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X