Create Second HomeSeer Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Second HomeSeer Directory

I would like to know if it is possible to create a second instance of HomeSeer that I can build, while preserving my previous HomeSeer directory.

I want to rebuild my devices & events from scratch, but it will take time. Until I am complete, I want to be able to close the in-construction HS and restart my current working HS until the new one is ready for prime time. Obviously I can't run the two instances simultaneously as they would be trying to control the same hardware, but I don't want to lose the automation I have until the new version is ready.

Is this possible?
    Thank you in advance

Copy the entire Homeseer directory to another directory, something like HomeseerOrig. Do what you need to do with your devices/events etc. When finished for the day, Rename the Homeseer directory to HomeseerNew and then rename HomeseerOrig back to the normal Homeseer directory.
    Jon

Comment

What technologies are you using - if you are using Z-Wave and plan on re-do your network from scratch Jon's plan will not work because as soon as redo the network the old database(original) will not be able to communicate with the devices.

Comment

Perfect, thanks Jon. No, I don't have Z-Wave yet (though when I replace the front door, a new Schlage lock will accompany it). So far, I only have a dozen or so true devices (the rest are virtual). At this time, I use HomeSeer primarily for logical control of my pool, circulators and a few lights.

Comment

Originally posted by reubendog View Post
          I would like to know if it is possible to create a second instance of HomeSeer that I can build, while preserving my previous HomeSeer directory.

I want to rebuild my devices & events from scratch, but it will take time. Until I am complete, I want to be able to close the in-construction HS and restart my current working HS until the new one is ready for prime time. Obviously I can't run the two instances simultaneously as they would be trying to control the same hardware, but I don't want to lose the automation I have until the new version is ready.

Is this possible?
          Thank you in advance
          If you can afford HomeSeer being down a bit, you could simply create a new config database and re-add your devices and events to that and then use file > open to switch back and forth between the old config and new. You could also load a 30 day trial of HomeSeer on another pc to setup your new config as well.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            If you can afford HomeSeer being down a bit, you could simply create a new config database and re-add your devices and events to that and then use file > open to switch back and forth between the old config and new.
            Personally I think it is better to have a perfect unaltered backup to revert back to.
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              Personally I think it is better to have a perfect unaltered backup to revert back to.
              I couldn't agree more. This is why I backup nightly, weekly, and monthly.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Historically I've kept a snapshot of the entire Homeseer partition and a backup of the directory.

I've also kept two distinct directories; one being the new with all of the Homeseer applications and plugins downloaded and the other being the old with the working events etc. This way if something gets misconfigured you have a working directory to fall back to. Taking it to the next level I currently have HS installed on one drive in a hot swap cage with an autonomous second drive (mirror copy of the first drive) that I can fall back to or make my primary.

Many times; even though I have the previous night's backup; will do another backup/snapshot right before I upgrade such that if I have to fall back its just a newer more up to date back up.

Another thing I do is I keep the Homeseer hard drive partition small (IE: maybe around 20Gb or so) to make it easier to backup/snapshot the partition.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  I couldn't agree more. This is why I backup nightly, weekly, and monthly.
                  Yes a timely reminder for all to make backups. I make 3 backups daily (to different locations) in my setup.
                  Jon

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. In my current setup, I have tried a number of different plugins (some of which I didn't like and some that didn't work) and I just want to clean it all out. Just like when I redo my PC, I like to start clean slate before a full rebuild.

I will likely implement a weekly backup for my HS directory once I get the new setup working.

Comment

Working...
                    X