Anyone using RF Remote?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using RF Remote?????

I feel I have become a bother with all my questions... But I just learned today how to copy and paste a script to use in an event. So as you can tell I am pretty illeterate when it comes to this whole process. So, here is my question.

I am wanting to have my audio/video equipment in another part of the house. I know some of the Logitech RF remotes can trigger EVENTS, but was wondering if they could work the same way as a regular remote via, homeseer.... Here is what I was thinking.

Want to change channel to (???)
    use RF remote, punch in (???)
    remote comunicates to Homeseer which then uses global cache to send IR to cable box.

Or instead of Channel, volume up... or whatever... what would I need for this to occur? Is is possible? If not, what DO I need to remotely control cable box and audio/video receivers via RF?

Just about anything will work. There are RF to IR repeaters and they are now incorporating RF. My legacy Multimedia/multizone receiver (old now) came with an RF repeater than plugs into the reciever and duplicates the IR functions.

Typically the do all is multiple IR blasters going to an IR hub of sorts; placed in front of the IR "eyes" on your equipment.

The transport would be something like:

RF to Homeseer to Event to Homeseer Device to IR Blaster.

David, do a quick search on the forums below and you will find a goldmine in different methodologies to achieve what you are looking for with Homeseer.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You could skip the RF to IR and just use your android phone to launch the event that fires the IR codes.
      John

Comment

I'm not sure it will be trouble free, albeit it might work - you might be looking at some delays (is the logitech remote an X10 RF remote?) that render it difficult to use (poss looking at a second delay between button presses, this is mostly the fault of X10 RF and the delay getting into the PC).

I also had some trial and error (although it sort of works) in that I have buttons on my HSTouch page that can change the TV channel, it ended up with a script with delays between sending the channel numbers via the USB-UIRT and finally sending the OK button...it can be hit and miss as the cable box sometimes misses the IR signal for whatever reason and it never changes channel.

Comment

Personally I don't run events from HS to my media equipment; someone on CT though did document a way to turn a Logitech remote into both an IR/RF transmitter.

I had an OK response when I had set up my Tivo, manually put in the IR codes (Linux OS), and put the blaster in front of the Satellite box. But the response was no where as fast a direct IR to the receiver. There was a little test application that would configure the IR such that the timing would be OK. I've really never seen something like the test application on any other of my MM stuff.

My wife is a remote control channel switcher and would not be happy with any lags to the remote functions of "her" Tivo especially if it messed with her scheduling of Television shows.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            I'm not sure it will be trouble free, albeit it might work - you might be looking at some delays (is the logitech remote an X10 RF remote?) that render it difficult to use (poss looking at a second delay between button presses, this is mostly the fault of X10 RF and the delay getting into the PC).
            How are you getting your X10 RF to HS? With a W800 receiver and ACRF2 there is no detectable delay in my system.
            I also had some trial and error (although it sort of works) in that I have buttons on my HSTouch page that can change the TV channel, it ended up with a script with delays between sending the channel numbers via the USB-UIRT and finally sending the OK button...it can be hit and miss as the cable box sometimes misses the IR signal for whatever reason and it never changes channel.
            This is a really good point. If your equipment was designed for IR control, the design assumption was almost certainly that the operator is position in front of the equipment and will be able to confirm when an action has occurred before pressing the next button in a sequence. Operating remotely requires some practice and patience, especially for the [equipment] that is supplied by a typical cable company.

What do you want to control in addition to the cable box? What is remote? Is anything local? Will you always be in one place when you are doing this, say in front of a TV? If you are, another cheap option is an IR extender, like the Powermid that will let you use a conventional IR remote, just point it toward the IR receiver, and the IR is converted to RF, sent to the IR transmitter and blasted to whatever you want to control.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Well here is what I was thinking and some issues....
              I have TV's in (4) rooms and don't want any of the A/V equipment in those rooms...
              I have:
              (4) cable boxes... ALL which work off the same IR signals...
              (2) A/V Receivers
              Here is what I am THINKING: (so there is no lag)
              I am going to Purchase Global Cache GC-100-12 to transmit the signal to the A/V Equipment. And at the source (the TV) I will have an iTach WiFi to IR (Infrared Control) with an IR receiver plugged in which will receive the IR command (from standard universal IR remote) which will then communicate with the GC-100-12 hence changing the channel.
              I BELIEVE this should work... can anyone please let me know if this should be correct or am I just completely LOST in my assumption.
              Thanks to everyone for their replies and help with issue of inexperience.

Comment

Working...
              X