Validating what I need to get started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Validating what I need to get started

Okay, so I've been reading up on what I need to get started with Z-Wave and HomeSeer in my home but am still a bit confused. I had bought a Heath/Zenith RFID lightswitch/motion sensor combo recently cause I wanted our outdoor lights to go on when motion was detected outside.

Now it looks like I could do the same thing with Z-Wave AND control it from my iPhone or home computer. I don't care about having a physical remote control.

Just to be sure I understand this correctly, I will need:
    • Motion Sensor to install outside
    • Light or dimmer wall switch to replace the one currently controlling the outdoor lights. Any Z-Wave device available to install that doesn't require replacing the current wall switch?
    • The Z-Controller is needed to configure these products?
    • The HS software is what I would use to program and automate these devices via my computer so that the lights go on when motion is detected? And if I understand right, I need to hook the Z-Controller up to my computer so the computer can talk to the devices.

That is all I need based on my understanding. Is that correct?

Additionally, what is the difference between the Z-Controller and the Aeon Labs Z-Stick? They both are used to setup devices and interface with your computer right? And the Vera2 is compared to the HomeTroller correct? That would be for people who don't want to run this stuff off their own computer?

Thanks for all your help!

Curtis

All you need is a PC, HomeSeer, a Z-Wave capable light switch, a motion sensor and a Z-Wave interface. I would recommend the Z-Troller because it' easy to use and is serial based which will allow you to move it to a central location if you need better radio coverage.

The Vera isn't needed if you have the above.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
    X