Ds12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ds12?

So I ordered a bunch of DS10A's to use for various things around the house and X-10 sent me DS12's by mistake. Has anyone used these with HS? After looking at them they appear to be very workable for some of the things I was going to use the DS10's for, and more visually appealing in any situation where you cannot effectively hide the DS10. At the same time, they are not nearly as flexible as the DS10 because you cannot simply remove the lead and attach it to something else...

Any thoughts here?

I haven't had occasion to try one yet, but as you note, they seem particularly well suited to use on a door or window where it would be difficult to hide a DS10. Otherwise, they look like an attempt to reduce mfg cost while supporting a higher price. Good business plan if it works.

I think they make sense in some applications, but I plan to continue using DS10s wherever I can. More flexible - less costly.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Just been doing some testing with one, and it does not appear to have the transmit range of the DS10. I can put a DS10 in my garage and it reliably has its signals picked up by HS (W800 with homemade booster antenna compliments of BSR on the cocoontech boards) but the DS12 is not being picked up. Probably not the end of the world, I have been planning to move my antenna into the attic (Right now it is in the closet in my office on the upper floor and far back of my house) but man, its hot and I hate attics and hot. :-)

Going to try putting a wire with a leaf wetness sensor on the DS12 and see how they work for water detectors, as that is what I initially ordered these for. Put them behind all the toilets, under all the sinks, in AC and water heater pans, under appliances and washing machines and so on. I will let you know how that turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
        At the same time, they are not nearly as flexible as the DS10 because you cannot simply remove the lead and attach it to something else...

Any thoughts here?
        The DS12A is an upgrade to the old DS10A. The DS12A, besides having the internal magnetic switch has terminals for a second N.C. switch.

Comment

Cool, just noticed that. I think I like these upgraded version!

Comment

Does the DS12 operate on the same 310 Mhz band as the DS10a? If not, that might explain the receiving distance differences. Also, does it use the same batteries (might also explain transmission power differences)?
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              Just been doing some testing with one, and it does not appear to have the transmit range of the DS10. I can put a DS10 in my garage and it reliably has its signals picked up by HS (W800 with homemade booster antenna compliments of BSR on the cocoontech boards) but the DS12 is not being picked up. Probably not the end of the world, I have been planning to move my antenna into the attic (Right now it is in the closet in my office on the upper floor and far back of my house) but man, its hot and I hate attics and hot. :-)

Going to try putting a wire with a leaf wetness sensor on the DS12 and see how they work for water detectors, as that is what I initially ordered these for. Put them behind all the toilets, under all the sinks, in AC and water heater pans, under appliances and washing machines and so on. I will let you know how that turns out.
              I've used the light sensor leads on the X10 motion detectors as a moisture sensor. A little soldering is involved, but it seems to work. I've used this for soil moisture sensing, but with variable success ... the contact area of the moisture probes must be small, and it's difficult to calibrate. However, for 'wet/not wet' sensing it seems to work fine.

Comment

It appears to use the same frequency, my W800 picks it up fine, I think I just need to move my antenna to a more central location. The batteries are different, DS10 uses AA and DS12 uses AAA.

Comment

One other thing that is really cool about the DS12. The Door/Window sensor and the contact sensor send different IR device numbers, so when I add them through ACRF-2 I can add both as separate devices or only add one of them. This way if I want to use the same DS12 to monitor 2 doors that are near each other for example I only need one device.

Comment

Originally posted by firtha View Post
                    I've used the light sensor leads on the X10 motion detectors as a moisture sensor. A little soldering is involved, but it seems to work. I've used this for soil moisture sensing, but with variable success ... the contact area of the moisture probes must be small, and it's difficult to calibrate. However, for 'wet/not wet' sensing it seems to work fine.
                    super old thread revival..

any more information on this??? sounds cool....
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                    X