Dell Server Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Server Fun

So, over the last week of vacation, I tried to upgrade my server. It's a Dell T110. I need a video card that supports Windows 7 Aero, so I can use my USB to VGA adapters for my Touchscreens.

Since the server has PCI-E 1x,4x,8x slots, but no 16x, I bought an Zotac Ion video card. $60 on Newegg. NVidia chipset. NEVER had issues with that type of chipset. It is my preferred chipset (Vs. ATI).

Well, the server comes with a Matrox something or other built in. When you plug a NVidia chipset it, it makes the server go WONKY. It behaves OK until you boot into Windows...then just STOPS working. Tested the card in a desktop at home, the card worked FLAWLESSLY. After consulting with Dell, they came to the conclusion that this particular Card is incompatible with their chipset, and they do not have an official list of supported cards. The best suggestion (and it was unofficial) they had was, IF I were to try again with another card, use a Matrox brand card as it probably has the best chance of working due to the built in Video card being chosen for compatibility to the motherboard.

*sigh*

So, after I get my refund from Newegg, I'm going to try the Matrox G550 PCIe. It looks like it has WDDM drivers for Win7x64...so it should support Aero...but I'll fire an e-mail off to Matrox to be sure. I don't like messing with my server.

I guess a server is supposed to be just a server :-(

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

I've seen similar errors... I build all my own PC's and when I select a video card I 'try' to stay with the motherboard's chipset type's brand. I.E. if the chipset is NVidia, I go with an NVidia brand.

I've had trouble with programs such as SageTV when I mixed brands in the past.
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Good to know there is some reason behind it. I've just NEVER seen it...

All my SuperMicro based motherboards had SIS (?) or Cyrus (?) cards. Then flip the jumper to disable and plug in the new card.

Things just worked as long as there was an NVIDIA card involved. I was terribly surprised this last time.

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
      X