XTB-232 (replacement for the CM11a)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    Jeff, what are the optimal port settings for the XTB-232? I am running it on a serial-IP box and I want to make sure I am setting the correct baud rate - is it exactly the same as the CM11
    From the on-line XTB-232 description:

Just plug it into any standard AC outlet, connect it to the PC with the same cable that attached to the CM11A, and select it as a CM11A in the automation software. (4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, one stop bit) The automation software should recognize it as a CM11A, and function the same.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      What are these micro modules? They sound interesting... how does this work when the switch is manually turned off. I'd like to keey the existing style the same as well...

Rob
      The modules I'm using are the Xanura range or the Marmitek's.
      They are quite expensives, at least for the transmit capable ones, but the interior has nothing to compare to the usual x10 low cost crap and it's completely SMD.
      Unfortunately, I think they are only available for 240V 50Hz and their form factor is adapted for the square european boxes, not the Decora style american boxes.
      And yes the main advantage of these modules is that they immediately reports the local switch change, so Homeseer is always synchronized whatever was used to turn on the light.
      This is the most important feature for me because it allows for automatic switch off, even on locations where there is no motion detection and the only way to turn light on locally is to rock the wall switch.

The only problem is that they fail after about 2 years. There is a small 400V electrolytic capacitor that dry up progressively up to a point there is no more filtering on the internal power supply. (you know it's dead because you can hear the hum in a quiet environement)
      It is very simple to replace and you're good for the next 2 years, but I wonder what the non DIY users are doing. Sending those back for repair every 2 years is such a PITA that I suppose they eventually stop using them.
      I had also one occurence of the relay mechanical failure (one among a dozen installed), again easily replaced, just a little bit difficult to source as you need exatly the same ( size and the fact it is a dual coil latching)

Comment

Any increase in speed?

I find that a few lights I have with CM11A turns on slow, ~3 to 6sec delay. I am not sure what's up, most are ok.

Will this improve speed? What issue I may be having with x10?
        I also minimize powerline transmission by setting conditions in HS to avoid CM11 from transmitting unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by bmxtreme View Post
          I find that a few lights I have with CM11A turns on slow, ~3 to 6sec delay. I am not sure what's up, most are ok.

Will this improve speed? What issue I may be having with x10?
          It takes less than a second to transmit a command to turn on a X10 switch. To avoid a collision that would corrupt both commands, the CM11A will delay its transmission if it believes there is already X10 traffic on the powerline. There have been several reports that powerline noise can also cause the CM11A to delay its transmissions.

The XTB-232 is also a polite transmitter, and will avoid collisions. However, it does incorporate AGC so it should ignore most powerline noise.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffVolp View Post
            It takes less than a second to transmit a command to turn on a X10 switch. To avoid a collision that would corrupt both commands, the CM11A will delay its transmission if it believes there is already X10 traffic on the powerline. There have been several reports that powerline noise can also cause the CM11A to delay its transmissions.

The XTB-232 is also a polite transmitter, and will avoid collisions. However, it does incorporate AGC so it should ignore most powerline noise.

Jeff
            Thansk Jeff. Do you still have this in stock? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bmxtreme View Post
              Thansk Jeff. Do you still have this in stock? Thanks.
              I do have several kits and one 120V 60Hz assembled unit.

Jeff

Comment

I'm a bit confused between the XTB-232 and XTB-IIR. I think I understand the basic function of each, but do I need both. I have 2 phase 120/240 US based power. I currently have a 1132CU and a Leviton booster/coupler installed in my service panel. The Leviton locks up from time to time, so the IIR seems like a great fix, but I really don't want to run a rs232 line all the way across the house to the service panel from the server closet. The XTB-232 seems like a good replacement for the 1132CU with a change in plugins to the CM11 one, but I can't determine completely to my satisfaction if the XTB-232 will transmit on both phases, or will I still need the IIR to bridge them?

I will greatly appreciate your guidance as buying both is probably out of my current budget.

Comment

The XTB-IIR and XTB-232 were designed to fill two different needs, just like your existing Leviton coupler/repeater and SmartHome 1132CU.

The XTB-IIR is a two-phase high-power repeater that would replace your Leviton unit. The XTB-232 is a simple plug-in RS232 to powerline interface that transmits a stronger signal on the one phase it is plugged into. A good tuned-circuit passive coupler is needed to propagate that stronger signal over to the opposite phase.

The XTB-232 was intended to be a higher power (and more reliable) "real-time" substitute for the CM11A, but it will not achieve the signal levels throughout your home that the XTB-IIR can with its beefy power supply and output stage.

Since the TW523/PSC05 has apparently been discontinued by X10, I am also developing a replacement that will be available in a few weeks. It is similar to the XTB-232, but supports the proprietary TW523 protocol.

Jeff

Comment

That would be great Jeff!

I still have a TW523 connected to my HAI OPII panel and still utilize it along with UPB and Z-Wave.

That said after testing Z-Wave / UPB with my Christmas lights; fastest set up is still with X-10 outdoor/indoor weatherproof devices all on the same device code.

Just saying that I will most likely always leave an X10 interface connected to the HAI OPII panel.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was hoping to eliminate the need for 2 devices and use one to handle both functions. the IIR with CM11 emulation seems to make the most sense to me, but then, I'm on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by cycleguy View Post
                        I was hoping to eliminate the need for 2 devices and use one to handle both functions. the IIR with CM11 emulation seems to make the most sense to me, but then, I'm on the outside looking in.
                        The XTB-IIR was designed to be a high-power buffer/repeater back in '06. The TW523 protocol matches data bits to signal bursts on the powerline, so it was very simple to add that digital interface at almost no cost - just a connector and a few opto-isolators.

With more people migrating to PC-based automation systems like HomeVision, I sought to offer a more reliable powerline interface than the CM11A or CM15A. When Microchip introduced a new line of microcontrollers that included an asynchronous serial port, it made the XTB-232 feasible. The RS232 interface does require a secondary isolated power supply, which makes it larger and more expensive than the TW523 interface.

With the new microcontroller, it would be possible to redesign the XTB-IIR to also provide a RS232 interface. But that would be a rather significant effort to squeeze in the additional circuitry, and is not something I am contemplating at this time.

There is one more thing I wanted to add. I have ordered machined cases for the 240V version of the XTB-232. While the standoffs do not match the current PCB, which was designed for the 120V plug-in case, not having to cut the notches will make assembly of the 240V 50Hz kit much easier. The 240V kit will include the machined case in a few weeks, and the lower profile case will fit into the Priority Mail small flat-rate box for economic shipping.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the update and consideration. If I buy both devices now, I'm almost $200 into it and the just is beyond my current budget. But what the heck, something for you to put on the wish list for future upgrades possibly.

Regards
                          Mel

Comment

Do you still have this in stock?
                            I just received some custom-machined low-profile cases for the 240V unit that will be included in the 240V 50Hz kit for no additional shipping charge. The base has a different hole mounting pattern for the PCB compared with the 120V 60Hz case, but there is an easy way to secure the PCB into this case.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff
                              I purchased a XTB-IIR from you after it launched and it is working fine.

I have just question about it that you may be help to help me with.
                              Is the XTB-IIR a direct replacement for the CM11A.

At the moment, I have the the lead for the serial port on my homeseer PC connected to the CM11A via its RJ11 connection. The CM11A is connected to a powerstrip and the output of the XTB-IIR is fed to a wall socket via plugtop.

Can I directly connect the RJ11 from the serial port to the RJ11 connection on the XTB-IIR, thus removing the need for the CM11a

Regs

Liam K

Comment

The port only does TW-523 emulation. I do have a CM11A plugged into it and am using the TW-523 connection concurrently.

The XTB-IIR accepts inputs from just about any X10 transmitter. A control module such as the CM15A can be plugged directly into the X10 Input, and the XTB-IIR will drive boosted outputs to both phases. The XTB-IIR also includes built-in TW523 emulation. A digital I/O line can be run from an automation controller directly to the XTB-IIR. The opto-isolated digital interface on the XTB-IIR is functionally similar to that of the TW523. Unlike its predecessor, the XTB-IIR can directly boost the output of a plug-in X10 transmitter while running in the TW523 emulation mode, and also operating as a high-power repeater.

Since the original function of the XTB-II PIC was just to gate off unnecessary 3-phase bursts, an 8-pin PIC was all that was needed. That PIC had sufficient resources to add TW523 emulation. However, its single comparator made it difficult for the XTB-II to monitor the powerline and function as a repeater while configured to directly boost the output of a X10 transmitter. Note that a firmware update is available for the XTB-II to bypass this limitation.

The XTB-IIR incorporates a 14-pin PIC to avoid this limitation entirely. While similar in internal architecture to PIC used in the XTB-II, the larger PIC provides two comparator inputs to monitor the powerline and the X10 Input receptacle simultaneously. The additional I/O pins also provide the ability to control other functions.
                                http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-IIR_description.htm
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X